OT--I'm so embarrassed about my breathing during a training

Okay so yesterday I facilitated one of my first training classes since becoming pregnant. It was with a group of about 30 newer managers. After I went through the introductions and basic housekeeping I kicked into the actual material. OMG!!! I started panting and breathing like I had run up a flight of stairs. This continued until I had common sense to slow my pace and speech down. I'm so used to being a ball of energy in my classes that I didn't realize how much energy I used.

I wished I was much further along to share that I was pregnant and that's the reason I was panting like a dog. Of course I just chuckled and went on like nothing was wrong...lol.

7 replies. Join the discussion

OMG those first few months I could barely breathe walking from the couch to the television. It got better after a while but the pregnancy rhinitis has hit me hardcore in the last couple of weeks (I'm 17 now).

Oh yes! I remember my early pregnancy - I was constantly out of breath for no reason! I read that it is the hormones and whatnot that causes that. Now that I am 23 weeks I find I am starting to get out of breath faster as well. I guess we are getting to the place where my uterus starts taking up too much room! It is kind of embarrassing though! I had to sit down halfway through a class the other day, but I did tell my students I was pregnant. They just rolled with it!

Oh yeah. You should see me try to teach a three hour lecture course! So embarrassing.

I have the same problem... I'm 29w with twins. I am working from home now and was on a telecon with my boss and his boss and had to review a couple presentations of mine. I felt like I was running a marathon and talking the same time.. I was so out of breath. I've had this out of breath issue while talking ever since I've been PG. People must think I'm crazy or something.

Thanks for the responses. It helps knowing that I'm not alone. I just have another 6 weeks and I will be done until the summer. At least by then they will be able to see why I'm breathing heavily.

I lead an educational therapy group every Wednesday night, and last week, I couldn't believe how out of breath I was. Like you, I'm a naturally energetic person, so it caught me off guard. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn to pace myself better!

Yep, you're not alone! I'm at 31 wks and had a student ask me on Fri. if the baby was coming soon. I said, "Well, not really, still a few more weeks. Why?" He said he thought I was "breathing too loud"! I sat down for the rest of class after that!

I actually started using our humidifier in our bedroom at night because it seems to help me breathe better when I sleep (DH says I've stopped making funny noises, anyway!). You could try that. I've also found it helps me not be so dehydrated at night, so I don't drink 2-3 glasses of water (like I had been doing) and then have to wake up to use the bathroom all the time!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders