20 years of depression

I have suffered anxiety and depression since I was 35 years old. I currently take 90 mg. of Cymbalta and 20mg of pexeva. To sleep I take 20 mg of Clonapin and for the most part I do pretty well and most of my siblings have the same mental Illness. I have held down a great job since I Was 18. My Doctor say's it is all related to a Family gene and I will always have this mental illness. You can not get over this illness without taking medications. I tried several times and the results were bad. Face reality and realize that
it is not your fault and it is chemical related.

[url=http://www.mikerblount.com/anxiety]http://www.mikerblount.com/anxiety[/url]

14 replies. Join the discussion

I have twin 18 year old boys that suffer from anxiety and major panic attacks. It started when they were in the 6th grade and about a year ago they finally are happy and mentally healthy. But they are still on some major med's and the Doctor says when they go one year without an episode he will start backing out the med's very slowly. My wife was so involved that she knows every mental medication by heart. One thing the Doctor put them on was Corig which is a beta blocker. If anybody ever needs guidance on what to ask their Doctor we would gladly help stear them in the right direction. The majority of Doctors do not understand panic attacks so I am serious if we can help we would gladly do so.

[url=http://www.mikerblount.com/anxiety]

You ever check your levels of MAGNESIUM? Do you eat or make foods, or did your mom ever make foods rich in Magnesium? Low levels of this trigger panic and anxiety. And people think it's an inherited gene when it's really about the food you eat or don't eat. try it. What have you got to lose? Look up the foods on the computer eat them or try a magnesium supplement, But be careful with the supplement because if you overindulge, the bathroom becomes your BFF.

I suffered from depression for years, up until about 15 years ago, when I finally sought help and went through a course (group therapy sessions) of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with a degreed psychologist.

Since then I've been as close to "cured" as one can get, I suspect.

ADD and bi-polar. Poor mental health is pervasive and it colors your whole life.

I was diagnosed in two parts at age 30 and 50. If only, if only.

So far things have not necessarily gotten better, just different. I was asked by the librarian of our community to head a group of fellow manic depressives but that fell thru when his sister who is md would not participate, She is easily offended and doesn't play well with others so perhaps it's just as well.

My main difficulty is not sleeping. I told the doc I would slay the dragons if he got me to sleep at night. It worked fairly well for 12 years and then the Depakote began to munch on the bone marrow and liver.

I am taking too much Rx. Had to force myself to go to the same pharmacy time and again in the hopes the computer will spit out an error message in case of medication mix up. After reading the last MONOgraph (some are 4 pages) I realized there was a possible conflict. When I called the Pharm they said the info was OLD. I continued reading and saw the last update was September 2010. This carelessness is deplorable.

Let's all buy a ticket to Happyland............

I f anybody thinks they are going to get cured by vitamins or talk therapy they are dead wrong. The famous Jane pauly had bipolar so bad she is on Lithium. Go look that up and you will see that is the most powerful drug on the market. A friend of mine got Prostrate Cancer and told no one and decided to cure it with Herbs and Vitamins. After 2 years he is now dead so do not let someone convince you that this is not a disease just like cancer and needs to be treated.

[url=http://www.mikerblount.com/anxiety]http://www.mikerblount.com/anxiety[/url]

I've always thought that depression is a state of mind. If you give it so much power and allow it to devour you whole it will. If one does not take control of their mind then depression will only deepen. Depression is no joke; it is difficult to take control of but it is possible.

Being so drug-dependent can't be healthy. One needs to find another way to get a tight grip of their feelings, sadness and negative moods. People do not always have to be happy! There will be times when we all experience happiness, sadness and in between feelings. Life contains the full spectrum of emotions, it's absolutely normal. Antidepressants are only a temporary relief; a cover-up, a mask. It's like applying makeup on rosacea, it will cover up the redness but underneath the concealer, your skin is still red. Chemical imbalance can be dealt with naturally. I think the only way depression is considered a disease is when one feels the need to always want the drugs; that in itself become a disease since it is now an addiction, and addictions are hard to break. Having control over your physical and mental health is good.

I am not trying to minimize anyone's feelings, I know depression all too well Been there! Not saying that Antidepressants aren't beneficial because they are, but just for temporary use, not permanent. I don't see how anyone can live their life with a prescription in hand. Take care. Happy Holidays!

Hello MBLOUNT,
I was in my early twenties when i found I suffered from Major Depression.Then as years went on the names started changing when i was pregnant with my second child they called it Major Depression with Affective Disorder. A year later they the Dr's said it has always been Bipolar. I don't know why so many different names or anything but I do notice that I have mood swings. I have tried the med's briefly but I can't function on them so I do talk therapy when i have insurance. I do believe it is a disease but I can't allow it to define me and I have been allowing it to take over my life. I have not worked a real job since 1999 when I became eligible for Social Security and I am scared to work because I have allowed depression to run my life. I am out of control because I haven't really faced my situation head on I just keep running around it. I do believe a lot of families suffer from this disease but are to afraid to admit it. I am going to take my life on day by day and try not to keep allowing it to ruin relationships and hopefully i will be cure one day but if not I will still live. Merry Christmas to all and GOD Bless everyone have a safe holiday.

CBT is the only "talk therapy" that has been scientifically shown to be effective for depression. The science behind it is fairly sound, unlike the "hate your mother" stuff from the movies. Certainly not for everyone, but well worth a try.

And with regard to a "cure", some folks can be cured and some only "treated". It depends on the severity of the depression and its root cause.

Mine is chemical and I have never heard of organic depression is that like organic cancer. Face reality depression is a disease just like cancer and herbs and lovely thoughts are not going to cure cancer either.

onward, I appreciate the explanation, it makes sense. I didn't think of it that way. Happy New Year to you too and happy early bday. Take care.

Onward talk therapy and thinking good thoughts do not cure cancer. Depression anxiety is lack of serotonin and all the wish feel thinking will not resolve find a good Doctor and keep trying until the right pill works for u.

While depression is chemical in nature, so are all thoughts. To some degree one can alter the chemical "balance" of the brain by just controlling ones thoughts, just as one can controls (to a degree) the release of adrenalin in the body by controlling ones emotional response.

Depression is essentially a circular loop of "bad" chemicals in the brain causing "bad" thoughts which in turn cause "bad" chemicals. Some people, due to the chemical structure of their brains, are more prone to this loop than others. Treating depression involves breaking that circular loop, either by controlling the bad chemicals or by controlling the bad thoughts (or both).

Sometimes chemicals alone are sufficient, sometimes thought control alone works -- it depends on the initial "triggers", the chemical "balance" of the individual, and how much the individual can muster their own conscious control of thoughts.

Though I was able to "beat" fairly severe depression with CBT, I fully understand how that would not work for some people, or at least might require chemical treatment as well. Some people have brains that are "wired" to be much more depression-prone than mine apparently is, and they need more help. And undoubtedly there are those whose brains are simply too depression-prone to ever be totally free of the illness.

(And of course there are those whose brains are much less depression-prone than average and who will never experience depression. To them this whole discussion likely seems like a bunch of mamby-pamby whining.)

My twins were diagnosed with anxiety and major panic attacks at 13 years old. After we visited 4 or 5 Mental health Doctors we finally found one that fully understood panic attaches. he started off with the normal meds and if they did not work in a few weeks he would add another med. This took almost 8 months for him to find the right combo. He personally witnessed one of my son's have an attack in his office and said it was one of the worst panic attacks he had seen. keep in mind we had been to the hospital numerous times and they had no idea what he was going through. One drug that seems to help is Corig which is a beta blocker i think. Anyway after 5 years my kids started college and got a part time job as Venue Security personnel at Football games, concerts, Halloween horror nights at Hard Rock cafe at Disney. Well Sunday morning they signed on to go to the Jacksonville jaguar game for the security company they work part time for. They left at 5 am and did not get Home until 9pm. Jacksonville is about 3 hours North of us and they all take a bus. Anyhow no panic anxiety no panic and they loved it. We are talking about 2 kids that had to be home schooled most of the time because they could not sit in a class without having a major panic attack. The reason I am sharing this is there is help out there but you have to find the right Doctor. The Doctor says after 1 year without a panic attack he will start slowly taking out the drugs they are on.

Yeah, beta blockers fairly effective for certain types of anxiety, and reasonably safe and free of side-effects as well (so long as you're careful of drug interactions). Sometimes docs prescribe beta blockers for "stage fright", and they're commonly used to treat essential tremor, in addition to their use as a heart med.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders