Introduction

My daughter, Katelyn, was born at GUH on Nov 16, 2003 at 25 weeks gestation weighing only 15.5 oz. She suffered many of the complications that are presented to micro preemies (PDA ligation, ROP, ventilated for 2 months, blood & platelet transfusions, Grade I IVH, cerebellar bleed that destroyed her left cerebellum, and so on). She spent 159 days in the NICU and came home on O2, an NG tube, monitors, neb treatments, 10 different medications, and 16 hour a day nursing care.

Once she got home she thrived. We removed the NG tube when she was 9 months old and we got of rid of the O2 when she was 18 months old. She didn't start walking until she was 3 and talking until she was 4, but you would never know that now. She has mild CP on the left side of her body and has developmental delays and learning difficulties. Despite these things she is progressing beautifully and has turned into a very active, loving, and caring little girl.

Katelyn will turn 7 in November and loves to run, jump, play, ride her bike, play soccer, swim, and pretty much just about everything a typical 6 year old loves to do. She served as the 2009 National Ambassador of the March of Dimes (www.marchofdimes.com/katelyn) to help the March of Dimes with their prematurity campaign. Our family spent the year traveling all over the country to raise awareness of prematurity. We also formed the Katelyn Hall Foundation (www.khallfoundation.com) to help others who have been affected by prematurity.

We will be forever grateful to all the doctors and nurses at the GUH NICU who helped save Katelyn's life. My husband and I are proud members of the NICU Parent Advisory Board and are looking forward to giving back and helping others who currently are or have been in the NICU.

Ashley

1 reply. Join the discussion

Hi Ashley,
Reading Katelyn's story is like going back in time to our own experiences in NICU with two of our three children.
Randy began having seizures on his fourth day of life. We rushed him back to the hospital and then to another hospital and finally to Un. of Colorado Medical Center.
He was finally diagnosed with a brain hemorrhage from an arterio-venous malformation. The staff in the NICU were wonderful and the Dr. waged an all out fight for our baby's life. But it was not to be. Little Randy took his last breath in my arms at the age of 19 days.
Two years later, Teddy was born--a hearty 9 pounds, 23 inches long. Before I even saw him, an alert nurse virtually saved his life. She noticed petechai on his body and abnormal bleeding after his circumcision. She looked in his chart and saw that we had lost a baby to hemorrhage. She contacted the pediatrician who did blood tests.
Teddy's platelet count was extremely low requiring platelet transfusions. Further testing revealed a rare condition, Isoimmune neonatal thrombocytopoenia.
After the platelet transfusions, Teddy did very well. His count stayed up and he came home --on HIS 19th DAY.
I cannot describe the anguish of losing a child or by contrast, the joy of another son's life being saved. But I found myself thinking of the likeness of our experience to God's love of all his children as they encounter the disease of sin.

Our children's names were: Christine or the feminine for Christian. She was well and strong and a good representation of those Christians who are safe in the arms of Jesus. It is a happy, Having Love
Randall means Son of a Fox. Our experience of sorrow and heartache at his illness and death must resemble, in some tiny measure, the grief and pain of God as many of his children choose a life of sin and death. This is Losing Love.

Theodore means "Gift of God" and he represents to me the lost that was found, the person whose life is redeemed. Our joy dimly reflected the "joy in heaven over one sinner that repents". This is Reunion Love.

I am sorry this turned out so lengthy. These emotions come flooding to the surface even after 35 years. and this is what sends me out in the darkness and gloom of my city looking for the Randys and Teddys and sharing with them God's overflowing love.

My love and prayers are with you and Katelyn

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Georgetown University Hospital

Help Georgetown University Hospital reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Georgetown University Hospital

Discussion topics

More from the NICU

Download the Georgetown University NICU Parent Events Calendar

Community leaders

Disclaimer

This community is provided by Inspire for Georgetown University Hospital, an Inspire trusted partner. Georgetown University Hospital would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of Georgetown University Hospital. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.