Progesterone Cream

Hi everyone. I am 27 and my S.O. is 33. We have been trying for almost a year to no avail. This will be my second child. We are taking vitamins, using the pre-seed lubrication, "correct positions", antioxidants, etc., but nothing works. Has anyone tried using progesterone cream? I started it on what I thought would be the last day of my period, and now I can't stop bleeding. This is the 10th day of my period. Is this normal? Is it due to the cream? I'm using only the recommeded amount, because I know about how it stores fat, etc. Has anyone else used this with any success? complications?
I'm so frustrated with seeing negative pregnancy tests.
Thanks.

1 reply. Join the discussion

Hello,
I am using progesterone cream as a follow up to my IUI. The nurse told me that if I didn't test positive after 2 weeks to stop using the cream because it would keep me from having a period...
So I am a little confused.
Did a tiny bit of online research and found this:
"The body produces progesterone in the second half of the cycle, known as the luteal phase. It’s progesterone that causes the basal body temperature to rise. It’s progesterone that helps the lining of the uterus to thicken for a possible fertilized egg to implant. It’s progesterone that goes on to maintain a pregnancy, once implantation takes place. And it’s progesterone that keeps the baby safely in the womb until ready to be born. If progesterone is deficient, you will experience PMS, luteal phase deficiency, miscarriage, preterm labor and possibly premature birth. Low progesterone is also responsible for post partum depression in many cases. Knowing what progesterone does you can certainly see why a deficiency in this can cause a lot of problems."

So I was told that if I got a BFN, to stop using it. But I don't know how that would make you continue the bleeding... except for maybe additional thickening of the uterine lining???

Sorry, total guess on my part. Is this topical or a vaginal type? Sorry if TMI. Mine is the latter.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders