nuclear transfer, 2012

Hello,
Does anyone know the update on cytoplasm transfer, injecting your DNA into an empty nucleus of a doner egg for sperm fertilization? Is it currently now being done anywhere in the world, the success rates and cost?
Thank you,
G

7 replies. Join the discussion

After a google search, I am not sure that what you describe (injecting your DNA into an empty nucleus of a donor egg) is what cytoplasm transfer is. From what I gather, cytoplasm transfer is injecting the cytoplasm of a donor (usually a younger women) into the egg of the women who wants the child. It is done when the eggs of a women aren't great quality and have issues with fragmentation. Apparently, the cytoplasm transfer "rejuvenates" the eggs and leads to higher pregnancy rates from IVF.

However, the crazy part is that the children born of this procedure often test positive for three genetic parents. Mother, father, and the donor, as they get the mitochondrial DNA from the donor. Apparently, this makes the child a "hybrid"....not a term I like but that's what the internet says. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down genetically thru women, meaning the female child of the procedure would pass down the mixed hybrid DNA to her child, were she to have one. One article i read expressed concern about the mother DNA and the donor DNA not being compatible...causing possible birth or genetic defects.

It seems like there is very little research done on this procedure. it appears to be banned in the USA, I guess due to ethical reasons. Again, I'm just repeating what I see. I find it fascinating, wonderful, and kind of scary all at the same time. There are some clinics that are reported to do it though:

http://www.health-tourism.com/cytoplasmic-transfer/

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.This is not what I am referring to . It is not injecting donor cytoplasm into a mothers cell to boost up the mitochondria. What I am referring to is the opposite. The internet you received this info from was wrong.
DNA is contained in 99.9% in the nucleus of a cell. The rest in mitochondrial DNA is .01%. There is no "hybrid" child offspring with 2 genetic mothers. Just a younger environment provided by the donor for the intended mother's egg to grow once it is fertilized by the intended father via iVF. I hope that this clears it up a bit.
Please go to
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/fertility/interviews/grifo.ht ml
He explains it much better than I could.

Here are some excerpts from Dr.Jamie Grifo's interview with PBS.

Dr. Jamie Grifo, a pioneer in nuclear or cytoplasm transfer and explains it.

"When asked why the research became politically and ethically distorted and what the difference was between cloning and nuclear transfer"

Dr. Grifo Replied.

"Well, the misconception was that it was too close to cloning. But this is not cloning at all. Not even close to cloning ... The confusion is when you say nuclear transfer people equate that with cloning, but they don't understand. Nuclear transfer is one step of cloning; but all nuclear transfer is not cloning. This has nothing to do with cloning."

What is the difference?

"The difference is what we are doing is taking the DNA, the nuclear material out of an old egg and putting it into a young egg. "

When you clone, what you do is you take a living individual and made a copy of her or him and make a baby from the exact same chromosomes. What happens with this nucleus that we take out and put into an egg, it has been fertilized with sperm and it becomes an embryo just as if it was her own egg. It is not a clone.

About the "2 Moms Issue" Dr. Grifo states

One of the issues it raises is that, effectively, you create an embryo that has, to some degree, genetically two mothers.

"It is interesting because ... it was presented at a scientific meeting, but the press picks it up and the first thing they say is, "Gee, this baby has two moms." Well, no, that is not really true. I mean, let's not make a sound bite out of it. Let's really look at this and what is behind this statement, what is driving the statement."

An egg has a nucleus. Ninety-nine percent of the chromosomes are there. Ninety-nine percent of the DNA is there. But in the cytoplasm are these things called mitochondria. Mitochondria are bacteria that have hitched a ride on the human cell. You carry our system way, way back when and in that are some chromosomes. There is actually 13 genes. Those genes code for the enzymes that take glucose and make energy out of it. Okay?

Those genes, yours and mine, are the same. There's very little difference there so when you do germinal vesicle transfer and you take that nucleus out and put it into a different egg, yes, the mitochondrial DNA is from a different mom, but it is not different than the original mom. And yet, people are saying, "Well, gee this baby has two moms." Well, these 13 chromosomes compared to these 500 or 5, 000 other genes that are really the ones that determine the difference ..."

Hope that helps. G

My RE talked about this and how it was a great option but banned here. He had used it years before with success. I think it sounds great but you have to go overseas. I don't have any other info though other than my RE used it 20 years ago and it worked. Good luck!

Selling what? What are you talking about? Your words don't make any sense.
This forum is appropriate place to discuss options and scientific news re fertility and share knowledge about them to the online community.
What point are you trying to make by your confusing comment? Please clarify?

There were some posts a few months ago on a new clinical trial out of Boston I think that was testing a technique to transfer mitochondria from somatic cells into ones own eggs to "rejuvenate" them. This gets around the problem of the mitochondria of a donor egg being of a different genotype than the nuclear DNA. The post was in the research are of the forum. I will post a link to it when I get a chance.

This is a news article about the clinical trial I referred to:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/innoeco/2011/10/could_ovasciences _mitochondria.html

Wow!! Gilberto this is fascinating and seems like the obvious solution so many of us may have been waiting for. I will be interested to follow this new possibility; I hope it can offer possibilities to some of us in the near future. Thanks for sharing, sorry i have no info about it -- but i am excited to hear/read what you and others know. The advances that are made may help IF to be a thing of the past at some future date. There's hope!!!

xox

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders