How were you diagnosed????

I am going to see an endocronologist in a few weeks to see what they can possibly do for me. Even though i was given the diagnosis of FM they are testing me for other diseases such as MS and Lupus to name a few. There are so many diseases, illnesses that FM can mimic. I know that i was tested for Lupus 3x. All came back negative. I was not tested for any other disease(s). My doctor told me i had FM due to my symptoms and all of the pressure points. MS has the same symptoms plus some.. that i am experiencing as does lupus, etc. Were you tested for any other diseases to rule out other diagnosis'? The endocronologist is going to be doing an array of blood work to test me for everything under the sun and then some. They will be testing me again for lupus, MS, enviornmental causes, etc. My rheumy never even went that far.... My neighbor is suffering the same symptoms as i am.. and we both started with our symptoms (as they progressed very quickly) around 6 months after moving into our neighborhood... I brought this up to my rheumy and she blew me off. I am hoping to get some answers and possible solutions to what is going on with me, what is causing it, and confirming this is definitely FM. I am curious to know how your doctors came to the conclusion of you having FM. Were you tested for any other diseases? Were all your tests negative and this was a last resort diagnosis? Thanks for your time and input, it is much appreciated!!! :)

hugs, chris

8 replies. Join the discussion

I had a positive ANA and a hypothyroid. My Ana was positive for scleroderma and I'm still waiting on their more specific tests, but I have zero skin involvement. Two different rheumatologists have elaborated on my fm hypothyroid and sleep disorder causing my crap.

I'm miserable and tramodol and trazodone are not working. They just increased my thyroid meds fingers crossed. Because I am in a major flair right now

I went to an endocronoiogist to be tested for thyroid problems. It came back negative. He said that was all he could do for me. I found a new Rheumatologist who ran a lot of blood work, I don't have my blood work in front of me now but the results showed high inflammation I was positive for lupus, connective tissue disorder, Sjogrens disease. The doctor told me this is why my fibro was more painful than others who did not have this blood count. As far as I know Fibro is diagnosed by the tender points, and symptoms.
I hope they find some answers for you soon.
Terri

thank you both for your responses. My blood work is abnormal across the board. My RA levels are through the roof but my rheumy has not done anything about it nor has given me any answers. I do have a question for you... what is ANA? What does this show.... or tell doctors? I am not familiar with it.. but have seen it in posts often on here. Thank you both for your time and help!!!

hugs Chris

An antinuclear antibody screen tests for autoimmune responses typically linked to lupus(most common) scleroderma, and a few others. But it does not diagnose you alone- you must have other symptoms as well. Also you may have an autoimmune disease and not have a positive ANA . If you were tested for lupus-that's the test they did

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/tab/test

i actually found a copy of my blood work. It showed that my doctor tested me for ANA, which i had no clue..... I looked up what ANA was and it showed a positive result is 1.32 or something to that fact. My ANA on my blood work showed 1.80 but showed that it was a negative result on the bloodwork result sheet. Is that normal? Is 1.32 the minimum of showing a positive result? I am so confused and dont understand this at all.... Any input would be soooo apprecated.

thank you,
hugs, chris

1:40 is considered a weakly positive result and the titer will double with each test 1:40, 1:80 1:160 1:320 1:640 1:1280 respectively. People can have a positive Ana and feel nothing but people could have a negative Ana and feel horrible. What I'm still trying to figure out is how for 5 years I have had the same 1:320 centromere ANA AND FEEL like crap but everyone says that this test is so specific i couldn't be having what it tests for (limited systemic sclerosis-crest)

They typically will not consider a positive unless it is 1:160 or you are presenting overwhelming symptoms hth

I was diagnosed by a neurologist. But before that I had been to my family doctor, who basically told me it was all in my head. He had taken x-rays, etc. and couldn't find a "reason" for my pain. I went to a couple other doctors. I was going to a Chiropractor, at the time, and even his adjustments weren't helping anymore. He suggested that I go to neurologist and then Pain Center.
I don't remember the neurologist doing any tests, but it was 2002 so my memory isn't great. He basically told me that with my symptoms and trigger points that I had something called Fibromyalgia. Back then a lot of doctors didn't know much about Fibro.
I was so happy to at least have a name for what was wrong, I thought I was going crazy. I started going to the Pain Center here and been going there ever since. They did MRI, bone density tests, etc. They prescribe pain meds, some procedures that give me "temporary" relief.
I went on disability around 2003 because working at my job was starting to become harder. My pain level was too much for me to even concentrate.

i had thyroid cancer and now fibro, seems to me thyroid problems triger fibro check your vitamin d mine was very low it will cause pain thats what my endo told me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders