Chest pressure

I have had this constant pressure in my upper abdomen, right below my ribcage. It also tends to move into my chest so I have such great pressure that I feel like I can't fully breathe. I've seen many doctors and a GI and all tests have come back negative. I have done stress test in my heart, was normal, xrays normal, artery scans normal, gallstones and a hiatal hernia checks all good, I've been on antacids for the entire month, but they have not helped at all. I was taking Motrin 400mg three times a day for a possibility of Costochondritis, the discomfort has been reduced, but not gone, at times it is worst than others, usually when sitting for too long. Many nights now, I felt my heart pounding for a short period of time rapidly, about three times that happened, not sure if related.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Have they tried a halter monitor that you wear 24/7 for a period of time? I wore it for a week. Sometimes they just can't catch what is happening. My chest pain ended up being costchondritis as well, but its very scary when you really don't know. Dont take that as an answer until they have ruled out anything cardiac. Don't be afraid to seek immediate medical help if your breathing is affected. I will be praying you get some relief and answers.

Yes I have done the heart monitor thing, they found nothing, I am off Lipitor now, read some reports that Lipitor has some weird side effects, read posts about chest pains and pressure, I am off it one day and feeling a lot better, hopefully that is it, let's see, thanks for the support.

Talk to ur Dr. About upping the dose of motrin. If ur over 100lbs u can take up to 800 at a dose. Just make SURE u always have something on ur stomach. Ck.with Dr before taking more. This symptom is becoming more common in fibro. U may also seek out a somewhat new therapy offered by clinical massage, physical, and occupational therapists called E.T.P.S. I HAVE HAD AMAZING. RESULTS. Good luck. Will be praying for u.

Just an update, I had an endoscopy done, they figured out that I have a mild case of gastritis, When I read on gastritis, I have none of the symptoms which are: Nausea or recurrent upset stomach, Abdominal bloating, Abdominal pain, Vomiting, Indigestion, Burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach between meals or at night, Hiccups, Loss of appetite, Vomiting blood or coffee ground-like material, Black, tarry stools.
Anyway, the picture showed that I have Gastritis, "mild" as described by GI doctor, and he said that I should be on Prilosec for a couple of weeks, so I started to take that, and to tell you the truth I started to feel a bit better, the sensation is still there but it is milder...I can go on on the day and still feel it, but it is way better than before.
On the other hand, up until last week, I was taking Lipitor, and I read stuff about Lipitor that made me stop taking it....so I don't know if it was Lipitor side effects that I was having or is the improvement on Prilosec. I need to wait and see for Prilosec for about 2 more weeks, let's see if the symptoms go away, but I have been feeling a lot less symptoms since this started. If all this fails (hoping not), I will go and see other options.
What do you think about a CTA scan or Cardio Calcium scoring to rule out any cardiac stuff once in for all? The doctor I'm seeing said that the only next step on a Cardiologist is to do a catherization, but I don't know how bad the side effects would be of doing this procedure if I really donot need it....in other words why suffer if this CTA scan can do the same findings and if they are positive findings then I would go ahead and do the catherization.....
anyway, that's the plan, what do you think?

Have some bad news, during a ct scan of my chest, to find out anything wrong, they didn't find any masses in the chest, but they did find a mass in my thyroid gland...pretty big actually, 5cm x 3cm...I just had an ultrasound done to confirm, and a biopsy to find cancer... I am in the waiting game right now, don't know yet what is going to happen...according to docs they told me that the shape suggests suspiciousness.... Nothing I can do but pray... Will keep you updated...thanks

Hi,
I was just reading your post, and, yes I do have that symptom that you are talking about-the one where your stomach pushes up into your chest-an awful feeling. I think that it comes from tight stomach muscles trying to find a restful place. I also have tight lower abdominal muscles and backside, too. So, I am so stiff when I sit up.
My body also feels ver heavy to drag around.
I hope that this helps you to not to feel as alone when talking about this symptom. Please feel free to e-mail me at any time.

Exactly, it feels like muscles adjusting or tight muscles,
But the uncomfortable feeling does not stop in upper abdomen, it travels up into the chest too....
My thyroid surgery is scheduled for oct 22, we will see what happens.
Thanks

Chagousa, I so hope all goes well with the thyroid problem. I know it is easier said thatn done, but try not to worry too much because it could be so many things other than cancer.

I hope that chest symptom goes away.

hugs,
Debra

I have similar experiences at times. For me it is anxiety. Some Meds also cause that kind of pain. Check side effects on your Meds.
I am sorry that you are waiting for such a diagnoses. I pray answers will come quick. To me not knowing is the worst. Give me something I can try to fix and there is hope. Waiting stinks.

Sorry, I didn't tell the other bad news earlier,
My thyroid problem it was confirmed to be Cancer...I have surgery on Oct 22nd, they said it should not be that bad, just remove and do Iodine Radiation therapy....I know I said it should not be that bad, but cancer is always cancer, and I'm learning to deal with it....
Thanks for all your support,
My doctors tell me that they are almost 100% sure the chest issue is not related to thyroid.
I'm still concerned with the chest, but this is not my primary concern as you probably understand.

I'm more concerned with having the chest issue and at the same time have other symptoms from thyroid surgery and not been able to tell them apart.

anyway, will keep you posted,
thanks

I pray that God's Divine Mercy guides the hands of your surgical team. May your Gaurdian Angel calm your soul. May you be surrounded with support. May the Holy Spirit rain down fortitude so you may win the battle.
Cancer is such a hateful thing. I pray they kill it all. Dead. Gone. No more.
My prayers are with you.
LM

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders