Ovarian cysts in a 4 yr old?

I was diagnosed with EDS a few months ago so this is still pretty new, so far just hypermobility kind. My daughter has not been diagnosed yet but I suspect she has it. A few days ago she was in horrible pain saying her belly hurt it lasted a few days so her dr sent her for an ultrasound. The results came back saying she had cysts on her ovaries, shes only 4! Anyone heard of this?

8 replies. Join the discussion

I haven't heard of it in young children, but I guess she proves it does happen. I'm so sorry for her! Did they say whether that indicates she may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? What are they able to do for it?

I've had painful ovarian cysts & surgeries to remove them since my twenties. I've never heard of ovarian cysts in a child that hasn't gone through puberty before. EDSers tend to have all kinds of cysts....ovarian, ganglion, skin etc... What did her doctor say? Is it definitely an "ovarian cyst"? I can't really see how it's possible?! Keep us posted....I hope you can get some answers soon!

Unhinged

Hello - I'm pretty new to this too and since finding out about EDS, so so many symptoms
are helping my jigsaw of pain fall into place. When I saw your post it, reminded me of
a diagnosis I had in my mid-twenties - mid-50s now ! I had excruiating pain in lower abdomen and
was told it was an ovarian cyst and I was put on medication and referred to my gynacologist. He
identified it as a hernia and gave me the appropriate treatment. I don't know if this is relevant and
I don't want to interfere with your medical help. I do hope your daughter is getting all the help she
needs - it really is so painful. I wish you both well.

I had a ruptured cyst at 14. That's still a long ways away from 4 though.
I had an awful lot of stomach problems and pain when I was little I had chromic uti's and impacted bowels at times. No tests ever showed an ovarian cyst but it could be possible. Are they sure it was a cyst?

My friends daughter was born with them or developed shortly after (cant remember. I will ask her the cause and treatment and get back to you. So yes It does happen.
wishing you well

I would really appreciate to hear what they did for your friends daughter, i'm not thrilled with my daughters ped. and would like a seccond opinion she thinks we should just "keep an eye on it". They are sure they are cysts they showed up on an ultarsound and she said there were multiple cysts.

PrettyInpink8700,

I agree with you.... Hopefully, she will reach her friend to give you her experience. "keeping an eye" on ovarian cysts seems reasonable for an adult patient, or even a teen. A four year old? I don't think so. That just doesn't sound right to me, either. Can you ask YOUR GYN what she / he would recommend you do? (wait and see vs. 2nd opinion). I tried googling it, and didn't get much. Trust your gut & get a second opinion if you're not comfortable waiting. Good luck.

Unhinged

I would definatly get another opinion. My daughter had an ovarian cyst but she is also 14 and I have PCOS. They put her on lo dose bc. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor get another opinion or 5 others. Your daughter is so young and I know as a mom I would want to be sure before the doctors did anything.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders