Hot Tub?

A family member had a suggestion and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if this offered any relief! I had mentioned that heat and compression seem to help my daughters joint pain and she suggested a hot tub. Really curious if anyone has had positive or negative effects from this! Thanks!

12 replies. Join the discussion

Because of dysautonomia issues I avoided these for a while. Now, I find them very helpful for my out of control muscle spasms. I mae sure I am mindful of time and temperature. I go in the whirlpool for five minutes or so before and after my aqua-jogging workouts. It really helps relax my muscles before trying to work them out. When we travel to the beach, this is my secret weapon! I am in the whirlpool morning, afternoon and night, and have found it makes such a difference! We are redoing our bath soon, and will be getting an extra-deep jacuzzi tub. Can't wait!

I have had good results using the hot tub. I have EDS Hypermobility and am in constant pain in pretty much every joint. The hot tub really helps me, my only caution would be where it is located. My mom has one outside. Problem with this is during winter it is too cold when I get out (we live in NE) and the cold seems to seep right into my spine, voiding the benefit of being in the tub. I also have very bad heat intolerance. I used to had a jaccuzi bath tub, my solution for the heat would just be to open windows in winter and the run fans blowing at me during summer. This was the best solution for me. Don't know what your situation is, we have also replaced regular bathtubs in multiple houses that we have lived in and I have found this to be just as good as an actual hot tub. Also I would recommend getting the optional heater if you are getting the regular size jetted bathtub. I would soak in it sometimes up to 45 min, and it is only beneficial if the water stays hot. Hope this helps. I have 3 kids of my own and 2are showing strong symptoms of EDS. I know the feeling of wanting to do ANYTHING we can to help them feel better.

The Hot tub is a good way to relieve pain and de stress. I have one and find that in the winter months its a wonderful therapy!

I loved the warmed heated pool that we left behind when we sold our house. Heating pads help my pains but I, too have developed dysautonomia since our move and hot tubs, hot showers, etc. are off limits to me. So glad I didn't look into hot tub too seriously. That would have been a luxery thrown down the drain. My diagnosis came in 2 1/2 years of evolving/progressive symptoms.

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I am not familiar with dysautonomia, my daughter has not been diagnosed with that at this point. We just went to the rhematologist two weeks ago for the first time. She has started various meds and supplements. She is finally able to sleep, but I am sure we will be making adjustments. We got a paraffin machine for her and that seems to give her relief. I have a large jetted tub....may look into a heater for that! She is only 14 years old and has so much pain! We feel like she is losing her childhood! Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have dysautonomia too, but I can tolerate a liitle bit of time in a hot tub, as long as it's not too long or too hot. It works wonders on my body. But alas, I don't have access to one so it's few and far between that I can enjoy it.

We were traveling a couple months ago and was staying at a place where there was a pool and hot tub. My husband used to do Danish Dips years ago and swears by them. He talked me into doing a modified-type of dip using the pool and hot tub. I was really hurting that day, and thought it was worth a try. I spent around 15 minutes in the hot tub, then immediately got into the cold pool, submerging all at once and immediately. That was quite the shock and it was brutal. After 15 minutes it was back to the hot tub. I did this routine once more, for about 7 or so minutes each dip, and then went back and layed down for an hour or so. After I got up, I was pain free for the first time in years, and I felt great. This lasted at least 6 hours of awake time, and then I enjoyed a very good and sound night's sleep. The next morning I woke up in some pain, but it was about half of what I usually have on any given day. By day 3, my pain level was back to what's normal for me unfortunately.

I don't know if this was a one time benefit, as I haven't been able to try it again. But if I'm ever in a place that has a hot tub and cold pool, I plan to do just that to see if it will have the same affect and take my pain away at least for a little while.

Beth.

I love the wet sauna and hot tub, but my daughter passes out if she gets in the hot tub. She can handle the dry sauna for a short time. Weird, right? I guess now we know it is probably because of the dysautonomia. It's sad because the warm water would help the muscles.
I'm sorry she's having such a hard time now. I hope it gets better.

We may have to look into a hot tub if it could give her this much relief! We have an above ground pool on a pretty good size deck....maybe she could try the modified Danish Dip this summer. Our pool is closed for the winter. Can someone explain what Dysautonomia is? We are all in the learning process right now! Dr. Gewanter, the rheumatologist has been dynamite! He is gradually teaching us and figuring out everything that is going on. She is fine according to the cardiologist at this point and will be monitored every other year unless we notice anything that may warrant attention. Her biggest problems are dislocations, injuries, joint pain, headaches, mildly fragile skin (cuts, bruising, and scarring) reflux, and sleep was an issue due to some of the above listed problems. Thank you again everyone for the input!

My three children have EDS Hypermobility. We have a hot tub, you need to be super careful when you get out of the hot water if you are hypermobile. All of those joints that give you trouble because they are relaxed are now even more relaxed. Just go slow. Because your body temp has been raised I don't find the cold hits me right away when I get out but everyone is different. I too want to do everything and anything to help my children, but one thing I was ill prepared for was the huge increase in the gas and electric bills. We live in upstate NY and during the cold weather when the heater is running 24/7 it can be rough some months. I wish you the best of luck finding the relief that will work for your family.

Hello,

I encourage you to read, read, read as much as you can about EDS and conditions frequently seen with EDS...especially since your daughter is entering her teen years and is already having problems. I would not rely on your doctor to dole out information, especially since he or she may not be completely up to date with the (little) information known about EDS...few doctors are.

You can read about dysautonomia here: http://www.reumatologia-dr-bravo.cl/patients/Dysautonomia.htm

It is presented by Dr. Bravo in easy to understand explanations. If you prefer to read a more technical, clinical description, you can read here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dysautonomia/dysautonomia.htm

The EDNF website also has a ton of information about EDS: http://www.ednf.org/

Good luck to you and your precious daughter! Gentle hugs....

I love it, I use the one at our community indoor pool and I keep shifting to put each sore joint in front of the jets--most helpful for subluxating thoracic spine and lower back. Really helps the muscles relax. But the point at which it's been too long comes on very suddenly so I have to watch for it and get out just before. It's awesome in winter.

I've not used a hot tub recently due to issues with joint swelling when I've used one in the past. But, I would certainly recommend that you try one - it might give some relief. Being in water (esp. warm water) causes my muscles to relax - which I view as a bad and good thing. The good part is obvious - if the muscles are hurting there's relief. But, it also makes my joints even more easily pop in and out which I hate.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders