EDS and Peptic Ulcers?

I'm 24 years old, and I have Classical EDS, POTS, and Raynaud's. I went to the ER recently because of fast-onset severe stomach pain, and was diagnosed with Acute Gastritis and Peptic Ulcer Disease (as I've had a peptic ulcer once before). I have no idea what could have triggered this. Is it possible that this could be related to EDS???

8 replies. Join the discussion

I get esophageal ulcers sometimes and apthos (mouth) ulcers/cankers constantly. My rheum said they may be related b/c any injury to the mucosal lining doesn't repair as quickly as it should b/c of the collagen deficiency. Not sure if I buy it but I guess it makes a little sense.

Wow, I never would have thought that all those canker sores my kids and I suffer with are related to the EDS. We all suffer with all the other symptoms of EDS but never thought to relate the canker sores. My son especially has had them since he was a toddler and at 25 still gets them very badly where he can't talk or eat. I used to get them a lot more when I was younger but they seem to have tapered off as I get older. Although all the other symptoms have gotten a lot worse. Your rheumatologist makes sense since we have problems with healing. I just never thought of it.

BTW.. we also suffer from all the stomach disorders typical of EDS :(

I had a duodenal ulcer in my 20's and erosive esophagitis (multiple little ulcers in my esophagus). I have been on a proton pump inhibitor (protonix) for over 20 years.
Ulcers can be caused by H. pylori bacteria in the GI tract, but that is treatable and your MD can check for that. I was positive for it, treated and still continued to get ulcers. Since all our connective tissue is affected and our mucosal tissue is more fragile, it makes sense. Jan

My three children also have had mouth ulcers/canker sores very frequently. I also did not make the EDS connection. They also get frequent cold sores. Is that also a connection? Obviously that is caused by a virus, but would the frequency be related to EDS?

In my classical/hypermobile family the classical side has horrible problems with acid. My mom ulcerated her lower GI tract from too much acid and the acid ate holes in her stomach and esaphagus. It caused Barrett's esophagus and is considered pre-cancer. My brother has the same problems and so do I.

Lexie

There is an association of autoimmune disease with gastritis and peptic ulcers as well as other disorders. Gastritis in itself can be caused by immune reactions locally in the stomach resulting in low acid production. Sometimes acid reducing treatment can be the wrong prescription and just mask problem. Seeing that lack of proper care for an irritation of the stomach lining can lead to a host of very serious problems, you need this somewhat aggressively investigated by a qualified gastro. The non-acid part needs to be investigated but also the an acid situation and the damage to the small intestin needs to be established or discounted. Find one that uses an ultrasound to investigate so that's complete and minimal damage can be achieved. (and perhaps an immediate second endoscopy). However, it should not be your first requirement. As there is no replacement for a good track record and experience. Knowing how to use the latest gizmos in the GI arena does not mean talent... A teaching environment will be sure to have latest investgative techniques available. I do think it is more important when tissues are sensitive to operative procedures.

I've had esophageal spasms that were assumed to be caused by acid.... even tho HCL dropped done my esophagus did not produce the problem. I was put on an H2 inhibitor and was sick until I stopped taking them. Years later I have gastric and other issues... All due to a local immune system issue due to low acid. All investigations were done at teaching hospitals. You don't want to deal with a long term low-acid problem since it can lead to wonderful things like cancer. But don't worry about that .. gastric rumors in women are usually benign if caught early.... And they are slow growing.

I just want to say that erosion of the stomach isn't always caused by acid AND this country does not screen for cancers there because they are rare. You are very young and not on the age range for that.

Also, bulimia can cause damage to the stomach by bring the intestinal juices into the stomach (bike salts etc). If this is an issue, help with that should also be part of treatment.

Good luck.

Btw, celiac and thyroiditis are also associated. A proper check would be to scope down to the jejunum. They are going to hesitate in your case either due to reimbursement or risk. They opt to do less but more often and if a polyp develops go further. However it is worked out, these are clinical decisions in management if your issue that you can ask good questions about. Although many times stomach issues can bs symptomless (which is another reason to investigate) having a life long list of medical history and physical symptoms will help them have good understanding of you. Don't try to screen your symptoms for what they need; do try to keep it concise and in a chronological, bulleted list for they need to scan it in one -two minutes when in consult.

I imagine the ER visit did not allow for an in-depth review and that you were probably referred to your PCP at the very least.

I have had peptic ulcers. The first time it bother me was midway through a pregnancy when I had a baby squishing my stomach. I was always told the ulcers were caused by stress and put on antacids until (of course) it turned out to be caused by h. pylori. The ulcers were easily treated once a proper dx was made. But that turned out to be another misdirection. A radiologist finally noticed that my gall bladder was about shot. Ulcers aside, 12 years of excruciating attacks was finally explained. Once I had my gall bladder removed, the acid problem was done and over. Can't say I miss it in the least!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders