dry eyes?

Does anyone have trouble with dry eyes being EDS related or is it just a coincidence?

30 replies. Join the discussion

Hi,
I believe it is common in EDSers and on the EDNF "So you think you have EDS, now what" publication. I have dry eyes too.-
Christi

I have dry eyes and eye Dr prescribed over the counter for it. Also, I have floaters that eye Dr could see in the eyes.

I do. Apparently mine get very dry at night and cause abrasions on the cornea sometimes. The eye doc also prescribed an OTC product for it. I believe it's linked from what I've read.

For years now my eye whites are very very red. Usually no symptoms with it - just red eyes .... it's kind of embarrasing as it looks like you party your life away. An eye doctor - an optometrist not an opthamologist told me it's probably just 'dry eyes'... Well I'm 54 and it's getting worse. I took the 'red eye' flight to Florida recently and by morning - my eyes for the first time really did hurt badly - and looked like they were going to bleed they were so red. My family in FL were shocked. After some eye lubricant drops and rest they got back to normal red - once again. I need to get an appt. with an opthamologist just to get things reviewed... cuz I'm tired of it and it's as I said getting worse... I have hypermobile EDS.

I also suffer with dry eyes caused by Sjogren's disease. It's main symptoms are extreme thirst due to dry mouth and dry eyes. I also had to have most of my teeth extracted due to dry mouth destroying the enamel and having cavities. No doctor advised me to take special care of my teeth until it was too late. There may be other organs involved, as well.

Just a thought, monarae

Dry eyes, yep. Also sleep with eyes open so that probably contributes, as well working online and blinking less looking at computer screen. Have had eye ulcers because of the dryness. Seems otc eye drops are easiest solution.

Thanks everybody. I happen to work for a very good optometrist so we're getting it checked out tomorrow, I just wanted to get a feel for it from an EDS perspective. As there is so much collegen in the eye, it's not really surprising there would be problems there too.
Dessert1st, you should definitely get that checked out. Any Dr. that says "it's probably just dry eye" and doesn't tell you what to do about it or follow up should be sent packing. If regular OTC lubricating drops don't help you can go to a prescription but it can take weeks. If it's been going on unchecked though you might have some nasty corneal abrasions going on.
Fish oil taken orally is another good thing for dryness and overall inflammation too. (although it hasn't seemed to help my daughter really).

Wooohoooo?!?! Where's our Dr. Diana??? Maybe she will give us an answer? :)

I also was told for years it was just dry eyes and took every kind of over the counter med as well as prescription to try and help and nothing seemed to do the trick and I finally said to my dr. that it has to be something else. Now years later after doing some research, I also found out I have Sjogren's syndrome. I have been complaining to my dr that I feel like I'm a cold person as I can't even cry anymore and she said it's probably just stress. It's amazing how when drs can't find something they automatically assume it's all in your head. I would consider having it checked out just to make sure it isn't something beyond that because Sjogren's is not so friendly to your organs and it's not good to add more stress than our bodies are already under.

I also have dry eyes to the point of corneal abrasions with loss of most of the next day due to pain and the tearing. It then gives me a headache. In my case (yes due to EDS because eyes remain partially open while sleeping). This allows the eye to get dry when there is little humidity in the apt. Thus when I "open" my eyes upon awakening where the lid "glued" to the eye (my ophthalmologists explanation) it tears away corneal cells thus the abrasion and pain. This was much worse when I lived in DC in a high rise with humidity never about 30 in the apt no matter what we did. I survived by using a pricey, ultrasonic humidifier at bedside and the long last eye gel at night (it is OTC) However I had a presc. for a steroid eye drop to use when I had the abrasions and it was a Godsend.
I wish you well. Humidity really does seem to help me.

You can add me to the list as well. Nothing seems to work, not even Restasis. But here's what I found out about myself through much trial and error. My eyes have a level of dryness all the time and I use a homeopathic drop 10-15 times a day. But at times, the dryness will intensify to a painful level where they'll not even want to absorb drops, they'll burn like nobody's business, and there's a disruption in the sight to brain activity as I can't see very well at all. When these intense times happen, it is because I've subluxed at the C4-5 area. Once I can alleviate the subluxation, my eyes will go back to their "normal" dry, which is still irritating but no where near as bad as the severe pain. When I sublux this area, pain and other symptoms inevitably result, but the first symptom seems to be my crazy eye problems.

Thanks - I had labs for Sjogren's by my neuro a year and a half ago - he said I don't have it - but I will call his office today and ask for an opthy referral - good idea and thanks again ... good topic.

While on the subject of eyes, does anyone here have "night blindness" when driving at night? That isn't a diagnosis of any kind, just a symptom.

Thanks, monarae

Huge yes on having dry eyes! It was one of my first noticeable symptoms.

You might think about punctual plugs, they've helped me a on. Basically they plug up the little holes at the corner of your eye so that whatever tears are on there stay on there instead of draining away. I had them put in over ten yrs ago now.

Also, have you tried Restasis? They are prescription drops that help your eyes make more tears.

For OTC stuff and backup on real bad days I use Refresh Endura drops or Refresh Celluvisc at night when I don't mind being blinded by goo. Everything else burns and makes them worse on me.

Dry eyes and eye strain to the point my muscles in the inner corner sort of behind my eyes sometime contract suddenly, giving me an intense shooting pain - which lingers for days. At first I thought I had something sharp go in my eye, but the docs diagnosed a muscle contraction due to driness. Really bothersome, worse when I am overtired and my body muscles are also straining.

Yes I have dry eyes as well! I also have floaters too, but the doctors said that my blurriness and floaters are caused by the dry eyes! I don't know if anyone else had been told that before! But I've tried drops and they don't do much!

I have lots of floaters, including a huge floater in my left eye which seems to be very evident when I am very fatigued or about to drop down with a migraine. I suspect it is related to dilation of something in my blood vessels. I use it as a wellness barometer.

The clinic can't find anything sinister, so I just assume it goes with the territory along with lots of other oddities.

Monarae if you are having a lot of halos around car headlights at night you should get checked out for cataracts.

Monarae, I have nighttime blindness too.

They don't really know why it's happening. I've heard everything from "have you tried washing your windshield?" (I made a rude gesture) to being told its part and parcel with dry eyes.

I have some drops that will constrict my pupils if I HAVE to drive at night, but I've found it's not really worth it. If I don't have a driver, I'm not goin.

Add me to the list as well for dry eyes...and mouth, hair, skin....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders