mixed receptive expressive language disorder

My precious 28 month little girl, Izzy, was just diagnosed with this. Just found out yesterday. Read up on it a lot because I had never heard of it before. She is still be tested to see whether or not this is related to autism (December 5th & 9th). It's hard to say because she is a very social little girl and loves interacting with people. Her pedi first expressed concern back in March as she was very far behind in her language. We are doing therapy with Early Intervention, so far just play therapy but hopefully speech therapy will follow. It will be a long road ahead but I read a lot of encouraging stories on a post on here from a couple years ago that I found while searching the internet. I think I read all 40 posts & a lot of which were very long ; ) Izzy has very few words she will say on a daily basis but I cannot wait for the day that she will call all by our names. Mommy, Daddy, Zoey (big sister), Noah (baby brother) & "I'm Izzy" I will bawl my eyes out on that day!! I can't wait.

3 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Lizzysmommy! Be thankful that Lizzy has the support group that she has. My daughter was diagnosed with a mixed receptive/expressive language disorder at age 5. She started receiving speech therapy for expressive language delays at an early childhood school. Before this time, we struggled with mother's day out programs because her only way to communicate with other children was to use aggression. Her pediatrician at that time told us to be patient...she would eventually outgrow her shyness and speak...school director said the same. We took her to our local school district to have her tested, and she in enrolled in the speech & language program at 3 1/2. This turned out to be an awesome program. She was happy and learned to play normally with her peers. But it wasn't until she started kindergarten that we got the full scope of her disability. We took her to a private speech therapist to have her tested. This was truly the start of our roles as advocates, because we quickly realized not many teachers do not understand this disorder. Prepare yourselves for battle in the future! Educate yourself on this disorder and seek out the best speech and language therapist that you can find. Stick with it! Other things that have helped my daughter is enrolling her in gymnastics at an early age. Dance is another option. There is something about this activity that motivates the same side of the brain that affects language. It works. Other options for you to check into include occupational therapy and programs like Fastforward and Earrobics. For years, I swore my daughter had autism because children with MERLD have some of the same behavior patterns as children with ASD. But, we are told over and over that she is not. Start now introducing your daughter to phonic sounds, but be careful using some of the toys that do not have clear sounds coming from their speakers. One option to try, is label things in your home, and take her around and pronounce the words slowly and clearly. Example, Mirror, Bed, Chair, Door. You can add to the list as she gets older. It's been a very long road for us, and it is still going on. But, this is most likely because we did not know the diagnosis until she was five. We are still in speech and language therapy, and she also needs help with reading and social skills. But, we are now seeing rewards from our efforts. My daughter is now 12 years old and just started middle school. She's still in special education, but she is achieving good grades and excels in sports and music. She's also the sweetest girl that you'll ever meet. As your Lizzy gets a little older, you may also want to rule out auditory problems that include auditory processing. This does affect their ability to process speech and language. I wish you the best on your journey! Am thankful for the resources that now exist that were not there when we started.

Thank You for your responce. It's so good to hear how well your daughter is doing, gives us a lot of hope. I'm really hoping at her evaluations in December, that autism is ruled out altogether. She is starting to make a little progress in play therapy (developed for autistic children) During last week's session, we were all able to get her to say 'brush' while brushing her hair. She said it perfectly. We also got her to say bottle, while playing with babydoll bottles, which came out 'bobble' but it's a start!! By the way, her name is Izzy, not Lizzy. It's short for Isabelle : )

Sorry for my typos in my previous response. You are so on top of things, and I know your daughter will progress because of your determination. It is so awesome how you are interacting with her with things and words. Another good source are those huge flash cards with real pictures and words. You can find them at a teacher supply store or online. Being in the speech and language program for so long, I have seen so many children progress much quicker than our daughter has. I think this is because the parents got so educated early on in the game. For what you have shared, I strongly believe your daughter will be just fine!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders