I'm new to thinking I know what's going on . . .

I'm 60 years old and I've had type one diabetes for 28 years. Which means I was 32 when I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes; at that time only juveniles got juvenile diabetes. For the past 10 or 15 years I've been complaining about my feet, then my legs and now my hands. All this time I got the same answer from every doctor I saw: "You're diabetic! What do you expect?"

Finally I got some doctors at MGH (Mass Gen'l) to listen to me and they said "What ever this is it's not diabetic neuropathy!" Now I'm waiting for the results of some blood tests to see what I (and my brother and my late father) have been suffering from. My neurologist suspects CMT -- having ruled out several other things. As I read your posts I am connecting dots left and right. In fact this community is the first place I've seen people talking about blankets feeling like cinder blocks on their feet -- I thought I was crazy! And certainly the only one who felt this.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Things you can do

Support HNF

Help the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation

Discussion topics

Subscribe to HNF/CMT Updates

Help raise awareness about CMT

Get HNF updates by text -- Just text CMT to 91011 to subscribe

Diagnosis is Everything

Resources from HNF

Community leaders