Severe back pains throughout my spine

Is there anyone else out there that has been diagnosed with cmt and has severe pain shooting throughout their spine, if so have you found a way to deal with it. I seem to have a very low threshold for pain and any meds prescribed fail to provide relief. I recently went to a pain clinic, and before they do anything I need to get an MRI, thanks in advance for sharing any helpful information.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Hi John. Do you have spinal stenosis? Its a narrowing of the lumbar spine.Thats what I had and it sounds like the same symptoms to me. No pain med helped me,just about touched it. That was morphine.I made sure that I was breathing deeply.I had to make an effort to do it. Also,I listened to soft music and would imagine I was at the sea shore. Hear the waves,smell the salty air,hear the seagulls,etc,etc.
I hope you find this useful. It still works for me. Best wishes too all. Have a good and safe week end.... Bobb

My dad and I have CMT1a. He has degenerative disc in his back and describes the same kind of pain. I'm not sure of the relation to CMT, although there probably is one. I pray that you get relief. Pain makes everything worse.

Hi John, Sorry about your back. I have had two back surgeries and chronic back pain. They think its because I walk funny because of cmt. The thing that helps me the most is the pool. I do very slow crawl and back strokes. Just hanging on the side of the pool is similarities to traction. Ice also helps, just

yes I see alot of people with CMT have back problems,I have had 3 surgeries due to bulging disc and in constant pain daily,Im on Norco (low acetaminophen) and Methadone which I hate but he will not let me stop only 2 tabs a day though down from 6 when first started it :( and thats it for pain but I love my heating pad and also the new Salonspa patches for pain (5 in box) are the best you would be surprised how much relief you get from those! and my dr says my spine looks like a 60yr old and I am only 48 :( I do have scoliosis , my dad really hunched over I hope I do not get that bad,have you tried swimming or water exercises? that helps my pain alot I have noticed I do not take very much during the day,I go 3x weekly and love it! well good luck on the pain hope u can get a grip on it and maybe try those patches?

Hello kikisgrams.Are the patches OTC? I tried so many,but havent seen that brand. Bobb

Yes Bob they are,they sell them at Walmart for about $7.50 a box?

There seems to be a connection between cmt and disc degeneration. From this site and the cmtus facebook page it has been brought up many times. I have them but not too much pain from the spine. I have a MIgun Bed and if you google it you will get the info. I also swim and stretch in the water. Good that you are getting an MRI.

I would like to start off and thank you all for your knowledge and I will try your suggestions. I still need to get a mri and get those patches until I get the mri results. I am very glad to have found out about thks site, I look forward to speaking with you again as I wander this maze of CMT, at least I know I am not out there alone.

You are not alone and we are all stronger together - check out the face book site too!

No you are not alone there is alot of sites for us CMT'ERS to use and look at,Facebook and the CMTUSA ? has a newsletter that has ALOT of info.I love it it cost $30? to join but it goes to CMT studies and I love the insight it has and it is always up to date with current studies.And make sure you know about the toxic drug list? Hope you find those patches! :-)

There is a great video available on the cmtus facebook page and the Dr. talks about possible back involvement. Check it out.
Lisa

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support HNF

Help the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation

Discussion topics

Subscribe to HNF/CMT Updates

Help raise awareness about CMT

Get HNF updates by text -- Just text CMT to 91011 to subscribe

Diagnosis is Everything

Resources from HNF

Community leaders