Who knows about radiation treatment for metastasis to the liver?

I have had a radical cystectomy 2 years ago and did fantastic until this summer when the cancer metastacized to the lung, liver and pelvic area. I have just completed 6 cycles of gemspar/cysplatin chemo and still have some small tumors on the liver. All the rest is gone! My oncologist is looking into radiation to treat the cancer locally in the liver. Anyone out there have any knowledge of different kinds of radiation treatment and what I can expect?

7 replies. Join the discussion

http://news.bio-medicine.org/biology-news-2/Targeted-radiation-to-liver-tum ors-spares-tissue--improves-quality-of-life-6325-1/

here is an article from Vanderbilt including contact numbers

hope this helps, good luck to you

Thank you so much. I will ask my oncologist about this.

I hope you found the information helpful, and pray for your recovery.
You could help the rest of us by telling us more about your history, especially how the mets were discovered.
I think most of us who are post RC (in my case, post partial cystectomy) live in fear of the M word.

I did really really well after my cystectomy 2 years ago. I have had no problems and the relief from pain was so wonderful. I did start having pelvic pain again which I have had from my MS and from the bladder problems. Nothing seemed to relieve it so I just lived with it as I did in the past. Then last summer I had a urinary tract infection and was treated with antibiotics. A few weeks later I had another infection (signalled by blood in the urine). They did a CT scan after this one to see what was going on. My CT was clean. I then started with mucous from my rectum, and had a few "accidents" . I also thought I was getting another bladder infection and saw my internist. She was in touch with my surgeon from U of M thru all this and they decided to do a loopogram to see if there was a reason for the recurrent urinary tract infections. The surgeon's office didn't see the need for another CT scan if I was going to have a loopogram but my internist felt there was something else going on and ordered another CT scan as well. That was scheduled the day before the loopogram. When I showed up for the loop there was a lot of discussion behind closed doors and I was told the radiologist needed to consult with both Drs to make sure they were all on the same page. After waiting for who knows how long I was then told to go to my internists office and she would meet me there. They weren't going to do the loop because there was probably still dye in my system from the Ct scan. Right. At the internist's she told me there was a tumor on the liver and in the pelvic region. They later did a CT scan of the chest which showed a tumor on the left lung pressing on the heart. All this showed in just a few months time from a clean scan. I understand after some research that the mucous and change in bowel habits is one of the signs of liver tumors. I had a liver biopsy done at Ann Arbor and it was confirmed as metastatic bladder cancer. The referred me to an oncologist in Alpena where there cancer center is affiliated with U of M. I started the chemo the week after my consult there. And here I am today with everything gone but the liver tumors which as I said before have reduced in size but are not gone. I would like to know if anyone has "gone before" me and could advise me as to what to expect and what they have tried. I hope this information is helpful and answers your questions. Don't live in fear...just live! I am. I'm in God's hands and I believe I am going to be well again. I've had septicemia twice from urinary tract infections during my chemo and God didn't take me then, so I figure he has further use for me. I wish you all well and look forward to hearing from you.
Carol

Don't live in fear...just live! I am. I'm in God's hands and I believe I am going to be well again. I've had septicemia twice from urinary tract infections during my chemo and God didn't take me then, so I figure he has further use for me. I wish you all well and look forward to hearing from you.
Carol

Wonderful Advice Carol, you are strong!! Stay the course, enjoy the journey, learn from the discovery. We are all rooting for you

Nancy

Carol,
Thanks for sharing your story. I had a partial cystectomy two years ago, and have lots of medical problems since then (including liver enzyme levels that are "off the chart" that my doctor cannot explain).
Anyway, hang in there. I hope others on this site can help lead the way.
I usually live without fear, but some days are easier than others.
Candy

Carol,

Thanks for sharing your story. I believe that all of us that have been down this road, at least have in the back of our minds, that this is all too possible for any one of us. Glad to hear you ahve made such great progress and keep your strong faith and moving forward.

Candy,

I have no doubt that you have checked into the liver enzyme levels thoroughly, and hopefully they are pursuing a course to get it fixed. I will be losing my roommate from college in the next 6 weeks, so they say, to liver cancer that is inoperable. We are both too young to be going through all of this, I'm 49 and he is 50. So, please take care of yourself.

And good luck to you both for continued progress and good heatlh.

Randy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders