sick:(

I think I might have the flu,I am achy horrible he adache,feveer is 102.9 I can barely move around with out holding on to something been sleeping on and off...What do I d ao go to the er or stick it out...help..I need to feel better pleasseeeeeeeeeeee.I guess there is a new flu going around and I cant afford to get it I am so close to getting surgury...at the end of Aug PLEASE nothing screw this up!!!!!!!!!!!

17 replies. Join the discussion

Can you get in to your doc? If not - go to the ER. That's a high fever.

Call your doctor!!....if you can take Tylenol while waiting for him to call you, this should help bring the fever down. Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.

Mom doesnt think its serious enough

Are you currently undergoing chemo? If so, this is significant and you need to see your doc (er if not possible). Chemo and particularly gemzar is hard on the bone marrow which produces white blood cells. This makes you not only more prone to infection, but makes infections more serious.

jj

Jill...get to a doctor! I was told to call my doc if I ran a fever over 100.1. As everyone has said, this is serious and tell your mom that things are looked at differently when you are doing chemo. Doctor! Now!

Pat

Moms are usually right; once in a while they are mistaken. It's ER time if you haven't already been to the doc.

Sometimes mom can be wrong. That fever is too high to keep it for long, call the Dr or Nurse take Tylenol if it is ok for you to take and drink lots of fluids. If you don't like water try ginger ale or any liquid to get the fever down.
I went thru it twice just after my BCG treatments and the Dr took me off them for awhile.
Take care and we are all here for you,
Fran

Go to the ER right now!!!! You could have a UTI or a kidney infection and not know it. You do not want anything to prospone your surgery.
Best
Browns Crossing

JIll,
Go to the ER. You might have a serious infection. You can't fool around when you are having chemo.

Jill, I hope you have been to the ER and are feeling better. If you haven't gone yet, please go and find out if it is the flu or an infection.

Jill, Go to the ER today, if you not already done so. Your chemo drugs lower your immune system and drop your white blood cells so you cannot fight illness. You may need to be admitted for a few days and have some antibiotic therapy. The same thing happened to me before surgery and I had an infection and low blood counts. I received antibiotics and a blood transfusion. PLEASE go to the ER. Love and prayers are coming your way from me.....Gail

jill,
i believe i read one of your posts that you are going thru chemo...when my dad was going thru chemo he was told to take his temperature several times a day....if it ever rose above 100.1 he was first to go straight to the emergency room, then to alert his doctor he was in the hospital. Please take care of yourself.
~tracy

Jill, old onco nurse here. Go to ED , this type of fever when you are just off chemo is an EMERGENCY

Jill,

Hope you went to ER. Please let us know how you are. It was good to talk with you last week. Call back if you need anything.

Jill:

Hope you are feeling better now. I also pray you went to ER for treatment. As all of the rest said, this is serious. Keep us posted. Take Care.

Pat

Everything changes when you are a chemotherapy patient! With all due respect to your mom (and my mom is almost always right too!) - don't take health advice from family or friends! Whatever health tips and home remedies you had before chemo do not apply now. As a chemo patient, you should have been given an after-hours phone number to call with ANY questions or concerns - don't be afraid to use it! That's what they are there for! And if you have any difficulty reaching a trained oncology professional, go straight to the nearest doctor or emergency room!!! Actually, your family and friends can help out the best by taking you there! :) Get better SOON!

I hope that you went to the ER? Can you check in with us when you are able?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders