Leg Bags

Maybe this is a dumb question, but where is the best place to wear the leg bag-above the knee or below the knee ?

38 replies. Join the discussion

We use a funnel and vinegar water mix down the tube and into the bag, but still smelled...what bag do you use? Open to any recommendations ( thanks, Pat ).

I am using a Holister bag and Walmart mouthwash. I don't seem to have any odor but maybe at 91 my olfactory nerves are not as good as yours. As I said I am using a syringe my daughter gave me which she had used when she was raising goats. I rense with water, drain, and then insert the mouth wash,circulate the wash and hang up to drain over nite. Good luck.

Do you just use a little mouthwash and then rinse it out with water or leave it til you useit and the rinse? Thanks

I use just a small amount of mouth wash. I use about half a cap full and then circulate it withing the bag and without rinseing(sic) open the valve and hang the bag up to drain and dry over nite. My main objective is to clean out the tubing since it seems to have a one way valve which makes it difficult to flush out.

What kind of leg bag do you use? We want to try a different one than the convene colorplast we have just hoping it will smell less. Edge park's catalogue has a bunch of ( overwhelming) options...tons of brands but I will try Hollister 9348 medium 18 oz unless anyone has another suggestion...anyone ever try a fabric leg bag holder?

Can you wear a swim suit? Is the bag comfortable?

I use leg bags at night only and every few days, I put a cap full of dollar store mouthwash into it when I take it off in the morning. I swish the mouthwash around and then leave it in all day until I put the bag back on at night. I generally don't even empty then and just let the urine mix up with the mouthwash and then dump it all together.

To Sailorman--I am amazed that you can use the leg bag every nite. I use the "jug" at nite and usually off load about 700cc. Even if I tapered off my fluid intake in the evening I would still exceed the capacity of my leg bag unless I got up and emptied it every two or three hours. I envy you because it makes for better sleeping when one does not have to maneuver around the nite receptacle tubing.

What kind of leg bags do you use? Convatec told me that most leg bags work with their adaptors. Don't know if that is true.

I use Bard Leg bags that hook directly to a foley tube or similar. I just got a couple of Hollister bags that someone mentioned recently and will try wearing them on the lower leg. I thin the Bard bags are 500 CC or so. I wear them with the wide fabric straps that I get from Edgepark

I usually go to bed at about 12-1230 and empty just before bedtime. I wake up at 530 and usually, the bag is not completely full (hard) but at times it is. I drink a fair amount of fluids int he 8-10Pm time and I seem to put a lot in the bag from 10 to 1230 or so.

My 2 cents...I use Hollister leg bags but only when I travel on airplanes or long car trips. There can be weeks or months between these trips. I notice an odor after 4-5 uses. After each use, I used to triple rinse the bag with water and hang it up to dry. That did not help. Someone on this site recommended Bard and said it did not develop an odor after use. In my experience it did get an odor and I did not like the velcro straps on Bard. So I went back to using Hollister. I like the elastic strap that clips on to the bag. Hollister recently added a cap to the drain tub; a nice improvement. I think the leg bag material itself absorbs the odor when filled with urine over several uses. I have not found a way to completely overcome the odor. However, rinsing with some hand santizer gel and water seems to extend its use. (I also use hand sanitizer gel in my night drain bag.) The Hollister rep had not heard that leg bags develop an odor. I asked why they don't make leg bags with the same material as the pouch. Definitely room for improvement here.

Godspeed, Ed

Amen,edcl. I have been using a Holister9805 leg bag on a daily basis and like it because it so convenient. However there is that distinctive odor and it now has developed a leak near the drain valve which amplifies the odor. Thus, I am on the market for a new leg bag. Should I stay with the Holister or is there something else out there which might be better?

I have discovered that the smell from the leg bag was coming from the connector valve. I use the Convatec moldable wafers and love them because they are so secure and I never even come close to a leak. However, when I wear a leg bag and even my night bag, I have a smell. I tried all kinds of different leg bags and all smelled even with the first use. I then remembered that I used a leg bag back when I was using Hollister bags and never had a problem. I tried the same leg bags that were smelling with the Hollister bags and no smell.

I am planning on calling Convatec and telling them of my experience because I don't like the Hollister bags. I only get 2 or 3 days out of them. I recently was on vacation and ordered one box of Hollisters just so I could use the leg bag but they don't last for me.

I am wondering if you who have smell problems are using Convatec or something else?
Nancy

Yes, I am using convatec wafers and a Holister leg bag, and I am noting a small odor, but I have a small leak now near the drain valve which complicates things. Would like to know if anyone has the answer, i.e. a wafer as good as the convatec and a leg bag as good as the Holister but with no odor.

Hi Nancy,

I'm having the same problem lately with the leg bags for the Foley that I've been on since December. The last bag was the first time I noticed it. I've never tried the mouthwash at night, but that's a good idea. I've put the deodorant drops in that I bought for the colostomy bag and I've wiped the outside with alcohol wipes. I think it's a combination of the plastic or rubber of the bag with the urine odor, though I don't know how or why the urine odor lingers. You were kidding, but I do know of a strong, nice perfume. I may try it on my bag or on my leg area. Youth Dew or Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder. The Youth Dew Amber Nude is supposed to be the lighter scent I believe, but I really don't notice much difference. It can be strong, but it stays with you all day. One of my favorites.
Take care. Keep us updated if you find a solution.
Mary

I regrouped, as they say, and purchased a new Holister bag, available locally but with a prescription for under ten dollars. Upon close examination the bag I was using needed replacement. Then, when I assembled the new bag this morning I unsnapped the upper bag from the wafer and dumped a half of a cap of mouth wash directly into the bag so that it would go down thru all of the plumbing. Will see how that works and if it has any effect on the odor. Will keep you posted. I might add here that since the knee bags are available only with a prescription they may be covered by insurance and periodically could be replaced and that alone etc.

Regarding bag smell, when I drained my leg bag at night, I rinsed it out and then with a large sringe, put in a pre-mixed container, a small amount bleach mixed with water. Just a little bit, enough to get it over the plastic inside. Then leave it until your first drain the next day. This is assuming you do not use the leg bag at night, but use a larger night bag, which I did then did the same to it when switching bags. The bleach kills the bacteria which causes the smell.

NEO

Edgepark just sent two leg bag samples- a Ahollister and a reliamed for my husband to try. Let's see if there is less or preferably, no odor with either.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders