Dr David Servan schreibers anti cancer book

So after being diagnosed with g3ta with Cis, had the papillary tumor removed, finished by first round of BCG, like mist people (probably) did a lot reading to find out what I could myself in addition to the medical treatment.

As most post title says this book and other reading has been very revealing.

Basically I am taking curcumin, onconvite, green tea, dark chocolate, red wine, lots fruit and veges, garlic, fish oil daily and trying to keep stress away and being physically active. Yoga most days, planning on bikram again soon. Removing Stress and negative hormones in my body is my number one challenge. Plan on mediation to fix this and get the peace.

So my question, those who have done all this before me, any good stories out there?

I have cut out sugar, white stuff (bread white rice), trans fat

23 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry, no good news here. Hubby and I always DID eat well to begin with (although he was a smoker, up until his diagnosis almost 4 years ago), lots of fresh fruits and veggies, baked fish, low salt, low sugar, high fiber, exercise, etc. He added the curcumin after his diagnosis of T1G3, and he has always been a very low-key, nonstressed person, so no change needed in that department.

Unfortunately, he's due for an RC Feb. 9 - so not alot of success as far as BC goes. But who knows - his heart is in really good shape, and if anything he could stand to GAIN some weight - so even though the healthy lifestyle didn't help the bc, it may have helped in other ways.

It certainly can't hurt to try! Good luck to you!

Gayle

I think that these are all good changes and are worth making. However, mever underetimate cancer. David Servan Schreiber passed away from cancer a few months ago.

I am Stage IV and do the above and had eaten healthy for a number of years before my diagnosis. I credit the healthy living with how well I am feeling and looking. My doctors also think this is why I am as healthy as I am.

Eating healthy is no guarantee but certainly might help! Have you considered a cranberry supplement? Run it past your doctor if you are not sure. Cranberry is loaded with antioxidants and is known for helping to boost general bladder health.

If you are not using a water filter in your home, that's another thing you might want to research. Chlorine, fluoride, and many other chemicals can be present in municipal water supplies. Private wells can be much worse.

wow, did not see that one coming. Sad.

thank you. Yes cranberry and I are now good friends :)

good luck. my bcg check up is a day later.

I also was eating well and exercising quite a bit before my bladder cancer diagnosis. I was really disappointed because I thought I had done everything I could think of not to get this disease. I read the book a couple of weeks ago and was struck by how many of the things I was doing right before.

As a note Dr. Servan-Schreiber did live 18 years after his diagnosis. Though he died young, he did outlive his prognosis.

Yes. I think that these are all good changes and are worth making.

As Cylcingfit correctly notes, Dr. Servan-Schreiber did live 18 years after his diagnosis and did outlive his prognosis, probably by 10 fold. However, he did ultimately die of the disease. This is in fact consistent with what his objective was. He was fascinated in the variation of length and quality of life after diagnosis. His mission was to uncover what allowed some people to far outlive their prognosis. The recommendations in his book are based on what he felt allowed patients to do so. Nonetheless, I have huge respect for this disease. Never underestimate your opponent.

Oops, I did not mean to post this. I have a question about the multi-vitamin debate. I always was taking them. Now I quit, because I heard that they are not supposed to be good for females? Is is just so confusing.

Despite the blogs critiquing the work of Dr Servan I feel he has pointed out
some major items, such as the differences in cancer rates around the world and
the "industrialisation of our food supplies, a less kind way of putting it would be the poisoning of them.

For me, my plan is to follow the proven medical approach but also to embrace most of his suggestions.

Has anybody been taking Oncovite? The studies on this are old and I wonder whether there was any further scientific updates?

Oncovite has a large amount of Vitamin A in it, and too much vitamin A can affect your liver. For that reason we decided against my husband taking it for his bladder cancer. If you plan on taking that, I would definitely recommend having your liver checked every few months.

Gayle

The one question that I keep asking myself with regards to all of these diets, vitamin regiments and natural products is 'if this product was so good and worked so well, why haven't all the major cancer centers adopted it and told their patients about it?' That's not to say that they don't have benefits to them, but they are not the miracle cure or preventative that their creators sometimes try to make them out to be.

A healthy dose of skepticism should be utilized when evaluating these products and always consult your doctor before starting anything. Even 'all natural' remedies and vitamins can react with prescription medication that you take and overdosing on vitamins can have negative consequences at worst and at best you are excreting the excess and just wasting your money by buying them.

Dear Crossman,

Let's stop and think about what you asked:

'if this product was so good and worked so well, why haven't all the major cancer centers adopted it and told their patients about it?'

The "product" Dr. S and many others recommend is giving our bodies lots and lots of organic vegetables, herbs like curcumin and natural supplements like selenium. How do you suppose the pharmaceutical companies and cancer centers would earn profits by telling patients about this?

Unfortunately, many of our physicians do not have training in even basic nutrition, and those who do research on substances God put on this earth to help heal us don't have budgets to lobby physicians like the drug salesmen do. No way to patent cranberries, broccoli sprouts, asparagus, etc.

Let's be informed and proactive and always, always remember that physicians and other medical providers are our employees.

Peace,
Suzanne

Suzanne:
As I stated in my post, I'm not saying that there are not beneficial aspects to Dr. S' system or other diets, etc. My point is that we should not look at one option and consider a "cure all". All patients need to inform themselves of the research, facts and information available to make the best decision possible for their circumstances.

Remember when shark fin was supposed to cure cancer?

It is not only the pharmaceutical companies and hospitals and doctors trying to make money on the sick and injured.

First let me reiterate that the dietary improvements being suggested are worthwhile. However, there is a balance. While dietary changes are good. BC is a fierce opponent.

The supplement industry asserts that their supplements are not pushed by mainstream medicine because they cannot be patented and thus aren’t profitable. However, this isn’t entirely true. According to the FDA a "drug" is a substance with "drug like" effects. For example, when drug companies found out that niacin lowers cholesterol, the FDA ruled that a pill that contains 551 mgs or more of niacin it is a drug and a pill that contains 550 mgs or less is a vitamin. When drug companies found out that folic acid prevents birth defects, the FDA ruled that a pill that contains 1,000 mcgs or more of folic acid is a drug. When drug companies found out that higher serum levels of vitamin D may prevent fractures upon a fall, the FDA ruled that Vitamin D is a drug if it is prescribed by a physician for osteoporosis. When drug companies found out that high-dose fish oil lowers triglycerides, the FDA ruled that certain esterfied fish oil derivatives are drugs. If vitamins or other supplements work, it does NOT take drug companies too long figure out how to profit from it. The truth is synthetic derivatives of natural compounds, delivery systems created for natural compounds, formulations of multiple natural compounds can all be patented for profit – if they work well enough. This has being going on since the beginning of modern medicine. The heart failure drug, Digitalis is made from a plant. Said another way, if a pharmaceutical company has shown no interest in a particular supplement, the evidence that it is worthwhile is unlikely to be overwhelming.

I just read this book - twice - and have a lot to say on this. I'm very impressed with the book's modeling of cancer pathology, the epidemiological review over time and geography for differences and possible causes of our recent cancer epidemic. And then it turns to what we are learning about how to approach prevention and treatment through management of the cancer "terrain" in our bodies. I think that everyone should read this and it's sad to see folks dismissing it in general without reading the book. It's too important to let naysayers keep you from getting good valid current information about why and how cancers form and act and what we are learning about the downsides of our modern environment, agriculture and eating habits.

A summary of the treatment aspect of the book; The Anticancer book's approach to treatment is about supporting the immune system and denying resources to cancer growth - creating an anti cancer terrain so that the cancer we all have floating around inside does not stick nor tend to grow.

To paraphrase a BC survivor's comments on another forum -" we can (and perhaps must) cut and burn to eliminate cancer, but the path to longterm health is to empower the best physician there is - our own bodies!" We are naturally able to resist cancer throughout our lives - given a healthy environment and food. But in the last 100 years, we've lost ground in that aspect. We are now saturating our bodies with industrial toxins and eating new unconventional (over the long view) foods. These changes appear to be at the root of our bodies' failure to balance with cancer. Correcting this imbalance, to the degree we can, is showing to be very helpful in the fight against this epidemic.

Again, if you have not read the book, you are not in a good position to assess it and just making general statements about what you suppose it's anticancer approach is and whether you THINK it's effective based on your assumptions. There is real data in the book. Read it!

Specific comments

@cageygal- I don't think you can eat well and smoke and then dismiss the value of it as if smoking was a small thing. Kind of like "she always used seat belts, but still died when she drove off that cliff - so, well, it can't hurt, but ..." Nor do you confirm that your version of "eating well" correspondes to what Dr. Scheibers recommends. There are many ideas about what eating well is. The anticancer approach is specific and based on science thoroughly reviewed by a doctor, medical researcher and cancer survivor who's life was at stake.

@ newfriend - As you noted in your later post, nearly 20 years survival is a success story ! - especially considering he didn't even begin his approach until after his relapse. Can you imagine if he'd started out right away?

As far as supplements being potentially profitable drugs that the drug companies should be motivated to pursue and exploit - yes, they are always trying to find a way to isolate profitable drugs from food/plants and sometimes it works. But many healthy agents resist isolation because they function in combination and in context with accompanying food agents. So, many don't show up on the illness "market" until and unless they can be isolated, proven to work out of context and then presented to the MDs. But should we wait until an anticancer agent becomes profitable as an isolated "drug" to make use of it? Not me. I'm looking for stuff that works, not just stuff that makes money for big pharma. The industry is rife with stories of agents not pursued, simply because the profit is not there for one reason or another. This is understandable as the nature of profit-oriented health care. But it's in our best interests to work not only with the strengths of our system but also to work around it's limitations.

@Crossman - I'm a serious skeptic and look for the faults and false assumptions in any "truth" I find. But your generalized arguments against all treatments and approaches to cancer that are not already implemented seem defeatist. Pick any moment in history and you will find that there were theories, treatments in the wings, in the background, that were emerging - yet to be embraced in the mainstream culture at that point. Anticancer diets and nutraceuticals are now emerging into the mainstream and you should look into what's coming out instead of blanket rejection of all. And in this book, this dr researches and presents and summarizes findings. Then he offers an agenda to make use of these findings, if one chooses, as a preventative and/or an adjunct to conventional cancer treatments. Certainly there are countless scams, unfounded theories and plain misses out there in the cancer realm. But it's a mistake to lump this program in with all the rest. I agree on the big point; nothing, not surgery, not chemo, not radiation, diet, nothing has proven to be a cure-all. Still, we do go in for surgery, don't we? Usually combined with other treatments, in the interest of a longer life. A combined approach is what the Dr. recommends and I think you'll understand far better if you look into it.

some links :
curcumin:
http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/curcumin_helps_change_gene _function_to_combat_cancer/

http://www2.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/2011/12/best-of-cancerwise-2011-cance r-fighting-ingredients-1.html#more

Phase II clinical trials- http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01269203?term=curcumin+lenalidomi de&rank=1

Garlic:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/3/1067S.full (old, but not contradicted since, I believe)

Radiation and chemo
http://weeksmd.com/2012/01/how-chemo-and-radiation-create-resistant-and-agg ressive-cancer-cells/

http://www.anticancerbook.com/fund.html

The Anticancer Research Program at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center

The initiative, led by Lorenzo Cohen, Ph.D., professor of behavioral science and general oncology at MD Anderson, will examine the effects of an innovative, standardized integrative oncology program based on the model outlined in the book Anticancer, by Dr. Servan-Schreiber.

Beating Cancer Better

The study will dramatically move the integrative medicine field forward through several ground breaking strategies where previous research has fallen short. The Servan-Schreiber/Cohen Anticancer Fund will support a 5-year research project with the following measurable aims:

Develop a comprehensive, novel, standardized, web-based, integrative oncology intervention program based on the model outlined in Anticancer. The program will include special diets, physical activity, stress management, social support, control of environmental contaminants, and some supportive natural supplements that many people with cancer are already taking (e.g., vitamin D3, fish oil, and turmeric).
Develop reliable techniques to assess a person’s natural defenses against cancer through simple objective measures (e.g., blood tests of inflammation, vitamin D levels, stress hormones, omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio, antioxidant capacity, and immune system activity) and determine how these measures are related to clinical outcomes and other existing biological markers.
Pilot test the integrative oncology intervention to evaluate to what degree it is possible to improve a person’s natural defenses and clinical outcomes as measured by the above tests through the biological assessment of the tumor microenvironment, and conventional psychological and quality of life measures.
Evaluate to what degree this comprehensive integrative oncology intervention reduces the progression of disease.

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center & Anticancer are currently seeking philanthropic funding to advance the goals of the Integrative Medicine Program, and to specifically support the development and testing of a novel, comprehensive integrative oncology intervention.

Swsl, Yes, nearly 20 years survival is a success story. You also bring up a good point in that some healthly compounds resist isolation because they function in combination and in context with accompanying food agents and therefore are never "proven" in the manner that traditional medicine is used to. I like your thought process, e.g., "I'm looking for stuff that works, not just stuff that makes money for big pharma. The industry is rife with stories of agents not pursued, simply because the profit is not there for one reason or another.................But it's in our best interests to work not only with the strengths of our system but also to work around it's limitations."

Do you mind sharing in another posts the health agents that you think are worthwhile based on your research? Also, I am trying to help a young girl who has been dxed with breast cancer at 29 yrs old. So, anything in that lane would be appreciated. Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders