Aloha, My name is Kahealani...

I am a my mama's grandaughter. My papa passed away on February 23, 2012. I have been married to my best friend for 17 years but we have been together for 24 years. From our love has come 7 beautiful children. We have 6 girls and one little boy. My oldest girl is 17. We also have a 13 yr. old, 12 yr. old, 11 yr. old, a 9 yr. old little boy, a 7 yr old, and a 5 yr. old.
I quit my job as a special events coordinator at a hotel here in hawaii immediately after my papa passed away to be with my mama full time. My grandparents have always been a huge supporting factor in my life. They raised me from the day I was born. They have been more like parents to me than my own parents have ever been.
My mama has been slowly regressing in her ability to remember things. I would have to say that it began about 11 years ago. My papa was her main caregiver. He never felt the need to have her professionally diagnosed for dementia or Alzheimer's disease and just attributed her forgetfulness to old age. He took very good care of her.
Until his passing, I could never really understand what it was that he was dealing with until I had to take care of her myself. Being that I have a very young and large family, I cannot always give to her my 100% that she is requiring. It has been a little over 2 months since my papa's passing and my family and I are having a hard time.

Things you can do

Support AFA

Help the Alzheimer's Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Links and resources from AFA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

Information found on the Alzheimer's Foundation of America Support Community should not be considered a replacement for consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of AFA.