Some Good News and a New Drug Coming Soon!!

I want to share both of these posts which appeared today on another site for Gastroparesis and DTP sufferers. They were shared by a woman named Colleen who works tirelessly to help all of us get the attention and action needed to find the solution to our issues. It's people like her who really deserve our gratitude. Without them we would have no hope!
Thank you Colleen.

"The FDA has had success when they have held meetings with patients from organizations on various conditions which receive little attention or funding. They have added programs in an effort to better understand the needs of these patients. This is an effort to improve the process of approving treatments for under-recognized conditions, including paralytic conditions of the GI tract. G-PACT has been involved in some of these meetings in an effort to stress the importance of more meds for DTP.

In a teleconference last week with multiple organizations for a variety of conditions, the FDA stated that they are going to hold some regular meetings with about 20 organizations to determine how to best serve patient needs. This should enhance patient and FDA dialogue and hopefully lead to faster approval of medications for all kinds of conditions.

It has not been determined whether the FDA is going to focus on specific conditions such as gastroparesis, or on broader fields such as gastroenterology, neurology, etc. Regardless, this is an improvement in the FDA process and provides hope for those who have lingered for years while drugs have been denied."

AND.......

"Linaclotide, produced by Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, is on the verge pf being approved for use in the US within the next few months. Although marketed for IBS with chronic constipation (IBS-C), it looks promising in the treatment of gastroparesis, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, and colonic inertia as well. If you had success with Zelnorm in the past, this should be especially encouraging."

Edited May 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm

6 replies. Join the discussion

Yaaay! Thanks for the info! We need to hear stuff like this to keep pushing forward. Thanks again for your research on this :)

Thanks so much!!!
I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for Ironwood.
Wouldn't that be sweet if we worked on that drug.

Thanks for the information and please keep us informed. It seems like we are alone in GP and it would be wonderful to know that others are trying to find solutions that might help us live with this condition. Thanks for the inspiration.

What you said about the new drug deserves repeating!
(I'm copying it to print so I can watch for it. Maybe write the fda and encourage them to get it approved asap!'

Linaclotide, produced by Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, is on the verge pf being approved for use in the US within the next few months. Although marketed for IBS with chronic constipation (IBS-C), it looks promising in the treatment of gastroparesis, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, and colonic inertia as well. If you had success with Zelnorm in the past, this should be especially encouraging."

Actually this is the best news I have heard in months. I recently had cryoablation surgery on my heart for atrial fib in order to trial drugs for GP as I am allergic to Reglan, but I had much success with Zelnorm but in smaller doses than prescribed otherwise I could not go out because I never knew when I would have a need for a restroom. I am sick and nauseous every day and with continued weight loss I seem to get weaker and weaker. It took well over 24 hours for the anesthesia to wear off after my surgery and I am still a little off balance and cannot remember how to operate the remote control. I am going to see my Primary Care Physician on Tuesday and will be sharing this info with him. So far he is the only person I trust to help me with this problem as the GI docs I have seen think it is all in my head. After my hospitalization I had chronic constipation which has subsided but very painful. I have also been depressed since the surgery because I cannot do anything except walk around the house a little. It is too hot to go outdoors, and I cannot even sit in a tub of water. I would appreciate being updated on any new developments regarding this drug.

GREAT WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders