Low Magnesium

I have been experiencing severe nausea, pain, fatigue, and a bout of pancreatitis. I can usually control this with the IV medications, hydration, etc I have, but for some reason, not this time. My home healthcare pharmacy (I'm on TPN) called to discuss my delivery and I asked the pharmacy what my magnesium was last week. Come to find out a I right on the borderline of being too low and would explain some of the uncontrollable symptoms I am having. Thought I would share this information with you.

Symptoms of Low Magnesium
The other symptoms of magnesium deficiency are difficulty in swallowing, constipation, urinary spasms, menstrual cramps, photophobia, chest tightness, neck pain, jaw joint dysfunction and breast tenderness. Magnesium deficiency primarily affects the nervous system. This causes insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity, restlessness, panic attacks and premenstrual irritability. The symptoms arising out of peripheral effect on nervous system are numbness and tingling.

Low levels of magnesium also affect the heart. Palpitations, heart arrhythmias, high blood pressure and mitral valve prolapse are the common its common magnesium deficiency symptoms. Persons suffering from magnesium deficiency often experience desperate urge to eat chocolates.

Hope this helps.
Jan

11 replies. Join the discussion

lol! LOVE the desperate urge to eat chocolates! I certainly had that, but sadly can't eat it now.

My last blood work showed that my magnesium level is perfect. However, I have always had "all of the above" in terms of symptoms. Someone here turned me on to Natural Calm magnesium drink as a laxative. I tried it and it worked when miralax didn't, but I hate drinking stuff, so now I've been taking 500 mg of magnesium in capsule form (easier to digest than tablets, which tend to just sit in my tummy and not dissolve). It seems to be helping a lot. Taking it every day with my noon meal seems to help me avoid those 8 days without a poop times.

I wonder about having "subclinical" symptoms with normal blood tests- I test normal for thyroid, but have literally every symptom of hypothyroidism, and feel 100% better when I take synthroid.

Oops. Just reread the list of symptoms- don't have high blood pressure.

Hope you can start taking magnesium and feeling better!

Jan I'm sorry you have been having all these symptoms but you have done a good thing: Given us all a great excuse to not pass up chocolate! Dark chocolate (small amounts) is my friend and now I will feel no hesitation in indulging. If anyone questions me I'll just say " I have it on good authority that my magnesium level will improve if I eat this".

I love dark chocolate too. Sadly, at this point it is not agreeing with me. >:(

Hi Jan,

So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time right now. You are always such an inspiration to all of us!

Funny about the chocolate thing. I have noticed if I suck on a tiny piece of dark chocolate, it helps with the nausea. Imagine that! My doc just told me to start taking magnesium too.

I know that if I am "borderline" on some of my nutrient levels, it effects me much more than it might the normal person.... probably because so much is a delicate balance with us.

Hope you feel better soon!
Mare

Hi Jan, I agree you are such a positive inspiration and always there with education. I often go back and look up old post when I am stuck as you often offer info I can't find other places! thanks! I too am ofter borderline on magnesium and this is with me taking CALM every single night! Scary to think where I would be w/o CALM. I didn't know what the side effects were. this has been a really uncomfortable two weeks for me, I am thinking my body is adjusting to recovery from the virus I had that put me in the hospital. I send you loving positive thoughts for speedy "feel better days" It would be so fun to say get well but so un-realistic! But I will say it anyway LOL get well! Aloha

Jan- are they increasing your magnesium in your tpn? I hope you start feeling better. Sarah

Wendy- what brand of magnesium do you take? Sadly I dont tolerate chocolate either. Sarah

Thanks everyone. I hope I bring you up when you're feeling down and try to find the best information I can find to give to you. Today is a little better. Thank goodness. Sarah, it was too late to add the Magnesium to my TPN this week, but they will definitely do for next week. If Dr. Jensen thinks it needs to be added this week, they will send it. I have to tell you, I love my visiting nurses and my home healthcare pharmacy. They are intrigued by my case and often do research trying to help me. I am very lucky to have them on my team as well as my Nutrition MD. Hope you are all having a relatively good day and the key word is "relatively."
Best regards to all of you,
Jan

Sarah- I just went to the local pharmacy and bought what was on the shelf. It is TwinLab Magnesium caps 400 mg. (make sure to get capsules, not tablets, since if your digestion is slow a lot of times tablets just sit there like a little rock). It is magnesium oxide, which I have since read is not the best type to take and can cause kidney issues. I asked my doctor about it, since my last eGFR was 55, which is a bit low. He said it would be fine, not to worry until the rate was 20%. But next time I will get either magnesium citrate (which is what is in Natural Calm), or magnesium taurate, since I read somewhere that that is the easiest to absorb.

Thanks Wendy! Sarah

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders