Do your pills ever get stuck?

My sleep schedule is so wonky lately! Sometimes I'm up all night and sleep during the day. But whether I'm up all night or not, I keep my meds on schedule, taking them between 6 and 8 a.m. I just find that to be best overall. But on the few occasions lately when I have taken my little handful of meds and then lain down, I get horrid heartburn. Feels as if the pills just stop before the hiatus and dissolve there. What the hell? I drink plenty of water with 'em, too, but still. So here I am this morning all bleary and yawning (maybe four hours of sleep so far) but sitting up at the computer having eaten my protein with my trusty glass of water at hand 'cause dammit, Janet, I took my meds an hour ago, fell back into bed, and started to feel the burn. Bah.

I've got just the one pill at night so've never encountered this dynamic before recent sleep wonkiness. What do you do, those who have a handful of meds at night?

21 replies. Join the discussion

Do not ever do that! It kills! It does not matter how much water you drink. IT KILLS!!!

MAKE SURE YOU GIVE YOUR SELF ABOUT 30MIN BEFORE LAYING DOWN AFTER TAKING MEDS LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE A REACTION LIKE ACID REFLUX.... MINE LIKE TO GET STUCK IN MY ESOPHOGUS ESPECIALLY MY POTASSIUM SO THEY CHANGED MINE TO A LIQUID (YUCK!!!!) NEITHER ONE OF WHICH ARE WORKING. NOW I HAVE TO MIX IT IN SOMETHING TO DILUTE IT AND IT IS MAKING IT HARD TO EAT. ALSO TRY TILTING YOUR HEAD FOWARD WHEN YOU SWALLOW SO THEY DO NOT GET STUCK . MOST OF MY MEDS ARE CAPSULES SO I UNDERSTAND. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Tilting my head forward? Wow, I've never thought of that. I hadn't actually encountered this before now and havne't thought of positional changes. I did try shifting around in bed this morning but just couldn't find a way to help the movement so got up, got more water, and ate my little vegetarian sausage patty and american cheese slice.

It's crazy, too, because I'm careful to not lie down after I eat a mini-meal, but had not even considered pills to be the same level of problem! But there we are.

M ... do you have GERD??? sounds like you might ... but it could be that you took too many at once. hope your sleeping schedule goes back to normal. sleeping is so important ... my whole day depends on how i sleep.
hope you feel better soon ...

hugs ... choco :)

For some reason, sometimes I can take a whole handful of horse pills and they go right down. Other times I take one tiny pill and it feels like it gets stuck on some kind of shelf at the back of my throat and nothing I do can get it to go down. No idea why, it just happens randomly.

Hi Marianne,

ALL the time!!! Try to switch to liquids, chewables or solubles if your insurance company will cooperate.

I try to take one pill at a time, but they still get stuck. A couple of weeks ago, they actually got stuck and then I gagged and all the pills came back up and my drink shot up through my nose! Sounds funny now...but ewwwww! I've also invested in a pill crusher. I have gone over with my pharmacist which pills I can crush or capsules I can empty out. Those that I can, get mixed in with my morning Miralax drink or you could mix them in yogurt if you can swallow that. What a conundrum!

Hope this helps!
Mare

I take my meds 30 mins. before I lay down. So far it seems to help.
My problem is I get sick after taking them, and choke on them terribly.
Thank you for your post.
Colleen

I usually have no problem taking all my meds, they go right down. Or, at least, that's how it seems. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, they do sorta sit there at the base of my esophagus even with the water drinking. It's when I eat something then things really move along. Hah! The best motility I have is swallowing food and passing it through esophagus to the stomach, especially when it's pushing the pills along. I'll be sure from now on to not lie down too soon after my palmful of meds.

And yes Chococanyon, I've had the problem with GERD/reflux for a couple decades now. The hiatal hernia was diagnosed, oh, geez, back in 1994.

Hi Marianne,

I used to have that happen with pills, food, even fluids before surgery. When they tested my esophagus prior to the Dec. surgery, I only had about 40% functioning in my esophagus. I had severe GERD, a very large hernia and apparently GP. The vagus nerve innervates the whole digestive system. Try taking one pill at a time. If any are large and are scored (an indented line through them) try breaking them in half and taking one piece at a time or crush them if the pharmacist approves. Wait a moment until you're sure each one is down before you take the next one. If they are going down, then coming up a bit it's probably Gerd which is common with a hernia. That feeling really sucks doesn't it?!!

For GERD, try raising the head of your bed. I used to put a bunch of books I didn't like under each poster (terrible thing to do to a book, I know). You get used to sliding down a little in the night but it helps the heartburn. :)

Hope it helps!!

I had to swallow water with my chin on my chest for a manometry test. I told her she was crazy but no she was right, you can and it does seem to open up more when you do it like that. I hate the stuck feeling. I can't even take pills anymore because of it. Applesauce seems to help make the feeling go away or warm water (eventually). As for night meds coming back up...I take everything early (7pm) to give it lots of time to move along. This is extra helpful because I tend to fall asleep where ever and miss doses!

Maybe take your pills first and then eat your meal to force 'em down all the way. Milk works for heartburn too. My doc told me that eating and having a warm drink first will help me with food getting stuck in my throat. I've got some sort of strange rings around my esophagus and sometimes it's kinda hard to eat. Not a real issue since going to baby food though... blech.

Uberman those strange rings are probably Shatzky rings. I have them too. Sometimes they have to do an endoscopy and stretch or dilate them with a balloon type thing. No not a birthday party balloon that you can make into the shape of a poodle either. If swallowing things gets real real bad then they have to do that. I have had it done once while I was under the twilight moon (: I was told that the Shatzki rings are hereditary. Sure enough, my Dad had them. Chances are real good you have a haital hernia complimenting your beautiful Shatzky ring. Im not sure how many carrots yours has but im sure its a beauty. You lucky dog.
Hugs O

Yea, my side of the family has them, some of them do anyway. The mentioned something about maybe having to stretch it down the road. I never knew anything was wrong, thought every one was like that. My family isn't exactly close knit so finding out this wasn't normal was kind of interesting to me.

I have this problem A LOT! Even before I got GP it would happen sometimes. But now it's really frequent and too often I even feel like the pills are literally stuck in my throat and won't go down! Often when I'm waiting my half hour after Domperidone I am chugging water trying to help it go down and I swear I can just feel the Domperidone. Either in my throat or further down just sitting there. I truly wish all meds melted under my tongue like my Zofran!

I take meds at so many times through out the day. The one I hate the most is my thyroid med because you cannot eat with it (and even before I had GP.... it's AWFUL if you do!) and my sleep is wonky too so I often wake up to take it in the morning and go back to sleep. Sometimes I have problems. Sometimes I don't.

I do know that I must have some small degree of motility issues above my stomach though. Ever since I started getting GP issues I've had some weird issues with swallowing. It's generally totally manageable but I know that I didn't used to have the level of difficulty I do. Sometimes I also sit forever with water or food in my mouth and really have to focus in order to swallow. I now drink a ton of water to help things go down. But I've choked and cough too many times on just water!

And it's weird because long before GP as a child and teenager I was totally overmedicated for psych issues that I largely never had to begin with. I used to be on way too many meds and could easily swallow them all back at the same time. Since GP I have to swallow all my pills one at a time even if I have quite a few to take at once. Even if I'm taking Tylenol where the normal dose is two pills I have a really hard time swallowing two pills at once. And I have to drink a lot of water with them when I never used to have to. I used to even have that ability to swallow pills with no water at all.

I try to always eat something with my meds now, minus my thyroid med. Even my night time meds I take with some food and then sit up awhile. You also may want to read the labels on some of them. Some of them really do go best with food and I know that because we have GP our stomachs are even more sensitive to the feeling of meds on an empty stomach. But if nothing else I find food at least sometimes helps get the pills down. And of course sitting up. But I definitely do wake up and take pills and go back to sleep fairly often. It's so hit or miss with me. Whether it's food, water, or pills. The way they effect me totally varies just by the hour.

But reading this I just needed to chime in because I SO get this and I know it's been a much bigger problem with GP than it was before.

Thanks for the replies and support, everyone. Always a comfort (and a freaking shame, too, really) to find others experiencing the same sorts of challenges and limitations I am.

And now I must scribble down "Shatzky rings" for use in the soon-to-be-written Twelve Days of Dysmotility.

MY DOC ALWAYS TOLD ME TO ELEVATE THE HEAD OF THE BED -- BUT I'M WIMPY AND I WOULD NEED HELP SO IT NEVER HAPPENED. PLUS I AM A TUMMY SLEEPER SO WEDGE PILLOWS DON'T WORK.

M., have you tried using a plunger to force 'em down? I'd buy a new one rather than going "eco green" and using your current household one... Maybe that'd be called "eco brown"...

Uber! Disgusting, as always. :)

I can't lift the head of my bed either :( I have flattened phone book piles under the head of my bed--broke a wooden broom handle levering it up. lol. When my brother comes back to town in a few weeks, I'm going to see if he has an old car jack I can use to put another layer under there. I still have GERD even with the new wrap. Otherwise, maybe I'll have to rent a helicopter . . .

Hey Uber, there's always a plumber's snake.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders