angel51

HI, I HAVE A QUESTION TO EVERYONE WITH GASTROPRESIS, I WAS DIAGNOISED 9/3/11. DOES ANYONE WORK WITH GASTROPRESIS? I'VE BEEN OUT OF WORK SINCE 9/2/11. WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK, BUT I'M SICK TO MY STOMACH. I HAD BOTOX DONE IN SEPT. WAS DOING BETTER, BUT I FEEL IT'S NOT WORKING AS WELL AS IT DID 3 WEEKS AGO. I'M HOPING THIS WILL PASS AND I CAN RETURN TO WORK, I NEED THE MONEY.

GOD BLESS

8 replies. Join the discussion

I was diagnosed with Gastropresis a couple of years ago. It was very difficult to work before being diagnosed - I was nauseous most of the time. But I kept working. Now with the domperidone and zofran, I continue to work full time.

Thank you, I would prefer to work. I've been out since 9/2. I still have pain and sick to my stomach. I find if I bend over alot and lift alot my pain is worst. I do have zofran. I was on reglan but my GI Doctor took me off, too many side effects. Take care. And thanks again.

My work has been amazing with me. They are letting me work from home and from the office. It it wasnt for them I dont know what I would do. Right now zofran and phenogen does not help with the nauseau at all

Yes you are lucky, I work for a Doctors office. A Podiatrist. That wouldn't work for me, your are very lucky. Hope your nausea resolves soon. God Bless

I was diagnosed in july 2010 and went back to nurse whilst on tpn in february 2011. I was only back 7 weeks and i ended up with a central line infection and have been off since. I am fighting to return to work. I know not many people with GP work and i totally understand why but there is something inside me that doesn't want to give in to this awful condition
Sue x

About a year before I had to have my J-tube, I had gone to a liquid diet. I knew that I would have to have the tube eventually so I started making plans for the future. By late 1993, I was skin and bones, I was offered SS support, but knew that if I didn't have to get out of bed in the morning, I would slip away. My wife and I had built our dream house together a few years earlier and we would not be able to keep it on the amount of SS I would qualify for. We provided an apartment for my wife's parents so it would mean finding another place for them also. I made the choice to work at home and started looking for work I could do six months before I left my job. There have been years when we went month to month not knowing how we could make it, and there have been years when we did well. It is not easy, so choose something that is interesting enough so you can get something done, even though you feel sick. Self employment means that you never stop looking for work, you have to get over reluctance to be productive no matter how many times you throw up every day. Sometimes a nice paycheck is the best medicine, I know that they give me a certain relief that nothing else can. I know my care costs more than the $30k we spend on health care each year, it can feel like a treadmill, but I feel a need to do what I can to be as independent as possible.

HI Angel 51, I was diagnosed with moderate gastroparesis about the same time as you, and the diagnosis has had a big impact on my ability to do my work.
I'm working on a research project at a university, and I was planning to travel to some other cities within the state as part of my role in the research team. Sadly, I wasn't able to because I was told my employer has a duty of care towards me, and couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to meet my dietary management requirements while staying in a motel and working all day.
Since then, two other people have been employed to do part of the work for which I was responsible, but was unable to do because of my gastroparesis. I have to point out that this reduction in my work responsibilities has been arranged with my agreement because I was feeling too sick and had too little energy to continue working almost full-time.

Fortunately, I'm now able to do most of my work from home. The other people in the research team have been absolutely fantastic about my more limited involvement, and they've also been personally very supportive and understanding.

I'm fortunate that my children are independent adults now, so I no longer have to support and educate a family. There's no way in the world I could do what I was doing a year ago - ie. working full-time in a high pressure job in the city, but I'd like to continue working part-time from home for as long as I can, even though there are some days when I feel horrible, and can't bear the thought of work.

Since I was diagnosed in September this year, I've been taking Motilium (Domperidone), and that's relieved my nausea to some extent, but not completely. Some days, I feel as though I have very little energy and would like to give up work completely. I'm going to think carefully before doing that because the present economic climate is so uncertain, and my husband and I are both over 60.

I also agree with SueCoz that I don't want this condition to dictate my life totally. My professional identity has been part of who I am for a long time, and I don't want my gastroparesis to force me to give it up yet.

Hope you manage to find a way to keep on working so that you can accommodate your physical, emotional and financial needs.

All the best in your journey,

Jane-Doe

Thanks for all the encouragment. I really need it right now. I'm expecting a call from my boss today and he's going to ask me if I'm going to beable to do my job if I return, and my reply will be I won't know until I try. I have to take one day @ a time. I hope they find a cure for this soon. God Bless everyone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders