The Tutu Project

Hey Folks

I just watched a segment on the NBC Today show (televised a day late here in Oz) about Bob Carey and his wife who has MBC. Donning nothing but a pink tulle tutu, Bob inspires with his wonderfully creative photographic skills for their 'Tutu Project' - see http://thetutuproject.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/The-Tutu-Project/106996669085 .....this guy is on a mission, and I found his pictures so life affirming and 'human' - loved it!

xxxGGC

9 replies. Join the discussion

Must have missed this one. Pitched a story on MBC to Dr. Snyderman's assistant last week, a Today Show Producer, and she said she would pitch to her seniors. I have a feeling this was the "piece on MBC." Enjoyed it and find his work creative, but nothing about the truth of MBC. I guess we should all just live in the moment and forget about this silly advocacy stuff. I also don't think we need yet another bc organization. We need money for the cure.

Blindsided....
I have to agree with you. Any time I see things on BC, they are fluffy and endearing..... nothing about the reality of the disease.

Kpretzel - coudn't agree more. This piece was literally pink and fluffy! Attention-getting no doubt but still pink fluff with no mention of our plight or what's wrong with funding the cure.

I saw it too, found the photos to be creative, light hearted. He goes with her on all her treatments he says. When the wife spoke (can't recall her name) I feel like she kind of missed the mark, opportunity on speaking out about the issues. She spoke of how she supports his creative mission, mentioned she'll contribute funds raised to "2 charities" but didn't say who they were. I liked the concept of the photos but don't think this story got across the seriousness
of us people waiting for drugs to be approved, lack of funding for research, any of that.

I saw the segment and did enjoy his pictures. His heart was in the right place. If I recall correctly the money was going to cancer sufferers who need financial help for treatment. But, I did feel the real issues were not addressed. It got "pinkwashed."

I, too, kept waiting to hear some real facts attached to this story. As a matter-of-fact, I caught myself thinking that this may actually address some real issues...that the pink tutu was a way of getting people's attention and then...WHAM.!..hit them with some real stats.
I am quite sure this man's heart was in the right place, and his pink tutu definitely drew attention...but attention to what, exactly? I mean, in any sort of way that would really make a difference? If you would ask people who saw that piece what it was all about, they would say "a man travels all over the world and gets his picture taken in a pink tutu. His wife has breast cancer and this is his way of showing his support." Yes, money raised goes to something worthwhile....but, at the end of the day...or the end of that segment...it was just another breast cancer fundraiser with a twist.
Let's face it...no one wants to hear about MBC. Even as outspoken as I have been (speaking before groups, etc;) I still have people tell me that I need to have a positive attitude. The funny thing about that? I DO have a positive attitude. So what they should say is that I need to quit looking at this realistically and keep drinking the pink kool-aid the way so many others have. THEY want ME to makeTHEM feel good about MY cancer.
Just the other day someone asked how I was doing and I said I was going to start another treatment. She asked the obligatory "why?"...I answered. "Well", she said, "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so we're all just here for a short while and should make the best of it."
I still have the bite marks on my tongue.
I wonder if she wakes up every morning thinking about that bus?

Well said CHBB!

CHBB.....
I cannot believe what your neighbor said to you!!!!!
She is totally unable to reach and have even the smallest feeling of what you are dealing with each and every day.
I wish I could just follow her around in a big old bus... two inches from her car bumper.....wherever she goes..... so she would always see it and constantly wonder and fear when it is going to hit her.

I totally love the visual!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders