Red scaly circle under arm

OK, don't think this is cancer related, but you know how anything strange makes us wonder. Today, suddenly a round red scaly circle appeared under my right arm. There is no lump. No pain. No itching. This has never happened before -- but I'd guess it's some kind of skin thin. Let me know what you think.

14 replies. Join the discussion

Could it be plaque psoriasis? That's an autoimmune disease.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/psoriasis/DS00193/METHOD=print&DSECTION=al l

Best,

DJ

Do you have pets? Round , and scaly......sounds like ringworm. Easily treated, easily caught. If you have a pet, your pet needs to be treated as well. Hope its that simple. Good luck.

I have to admit as soon as I read you post my reaction was, "ringworm"!!!!! I volunteer at an animal shelter and it's a common skin condition (not a worm at all!!!!). If I'm on prednisone, it REALLY attacks me and I get a characteristic round, scaly patch that will cover an entire upper arm or lower arm. So I'm in agreement with warrior1.....if you don't own an animal, think if you've been exposed to anybody else's animal. It's easy to treat but it would require treatment if this is what it is.

Good luck!

There is a fungus among us.

Try a topical anti-fungal cream?

yep, first thing that popped into my mind was Ring Worm or something fungal. There are several medications over the counter out there to help. CurrentRiverGal

My chest wall/skin mets first appeared looking like flat ringworm. This puzzled my oncologist, but luckily he ordered a punch biopsy. The biopsy did come back as the same original breast cancer. I would strongly suggest you see your oncologist immediately for a biopsy. The breast cancer can recur in this manner, although it is not as common as some. If you simply have ringworm, celebrate with a glass of good wine, but please check this out immediately! Be safe rather than sorry!!

Thanks all -- I am seeing my Doctor on Sept. 12 and will check it out then. the Circle of red is not getting worse, may be better, shedding some skin. I did call the doctor's office and talk to a nurse whom I trust. He thought this could wait til my Appt. on Sept. 12.

I had a thing that sounds like what you described on my lower leg. It still feels a little rough, though is pale now, and not red like it was. I never showed anyone. I will be interested in what you find out.

No, but I did use a new body wash, an new "Old Spice" one of my husband's. But, then, if that were it, it seems as if there would be circles under both arms. I used the "Old Spice" again today.

I'm sorry for yor anxiety..I pray you try to get an appointment earlier as that will help with the waiting.........we all here know that dark shadow hovers over us........our minds go where this dreadful disease leads us........I am so happy your checking this out for I had a similar experience as Sarahi ............keep me posted...... Xo

Perhaps it's Candida ?

Is it in your arm pit? If it is I would think it is an unusual spot for ringworm. I have psoriasis (since I was 2 months old---very unusual) and I had a scaly patch under my left arm which is the side of my cancer and recently it appeared on my right side too. I stopped shaving under my arms and put some cream on it and it got better. My oncologist doesn’t seem to be concerned about it.
Hugs, Deb

I saw a dermatologist today. She said defiitely not cancer related, definitely not lime disease, but rather a common skin irritation from combination of sweat, rubbing, and the like. Yes, I was glad and a bit relieved to learn this. I will, of course, still report this to my oncologist at my visit on Sept. 12. Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

Ahaha,

It is always a relief when learning our problem is not any kind of disease but a common problem for all who live in a warm area.

Best to you,

DJ

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders