Chicken Livered

Thank the Lord, my insurance WILL cover SIR spheres. I had just finished praying yesterday morning when I got the call! (My insurance company, bless their heart, was putting up a valiant fight to avoid this expense.) Anyway, I am ecstatic and terrified all at the same time. I've joked saying that avoiding this procedure (as it miraculously "found me" in my small hometown) is like the joke where a man steadfastly rejects three rescue attempts from his rooftop during severe flooding, proclaiming "The Lord will provide!" When the poor man eventually drowned he met the Lord, brokenhearted, and asked "Why did you forsake me, Lord?" Exasperated, Lord said "For pete's sake, I sent three boats to get you!" So, I know I would be foolish to not take advantage of this opportunity. But, I am so reluctant as it is so creepy!!! I've put on my game face and been through a LOT (as each of you can appreciate), but this procedure is daunting. May I please ask: would those who have experienced this (or embolization..I think is another name for it) please tell me how you felt, how it's benefitted, how long the help lasted and what was done afterward. Of course, I'd like to hear stories like the first article my father sent 6 mos ago from the Charlotte Observer. Suzanne Lindley (who is still an advocate for those of us with liver mets) was told she needed to go home and make arrangements. She had metastatic colorectal cancer with liver, lung and bone involvment. Now, 12 years later, she is an advocate for SIR spheres. I guess I'd just like reassurance like this from our own community. As always, thanks for any input. I appreciate the generosity of your time. Prayers.

15 replies. Join the discussion

Hi! So glad to hear your news!! My mom has liver mets. Can you tell me what SIRS is? I'm relatively new at this but it sounds great! Thanks and prayers for you also. Mary

Hi....I have not had this procedure, but since you need it, I am thankful you can now have it.

What do you hope to be doing......5, 10, years from now? Our God is a God of love, mercy, and compassion---just to name a very few things about Him.

Take excellent care---------------

PAMELA

Love to you, Pamela, for your Faith. Thank you for your confidence in my survival on behalf of my 4-yr old daughter and 10-yr old son ; ). MK: don't know much about SIR spheres but this...It is a procedure from Sirtex. Justin Kelly, a nurse rep, is very well informed and was savvy enough to make this happen for me. You may reach him at 888-474-7839 ext. 717. He can walk anyone through the procedure. It stands for selective internal radiation. Yttrium-90 to be exact. They access thru the femoral artery and it is similar to an angiogram except it's for the liver. Chemo isn't always effective for liver mets as it is a "sanctuary" and has its own arterial supply. They first do a "shunt study" and embolize small arteries atop the liver that feed to other organs such as the lungs, G.I., etc. They run a nuclear dye thru to ensure they've blocked sufficient blood supply from escaping to other organs. Once accomplished, they go back in and up thru the hepatic arteries (in my case they'll have to do right and then left at a separate time as I have bilateral disease). They shoot microscopic radiation beads into the liver. The cancer is fast-metabolizing and the uptake is mostly within the cancerous cells to shrink and/or kill, kill, kill!! I wouldn't be the first in line for this...but, I sort of am oin this area. They just finished a 5-yr study in Italy on metastatic breast cancer patients with good results.(it's only indicated for metastatic colorectal cancer in the U.S. Right now) Google it. Hope this helps.

That was a wonderful explanation. After the description I can see how it may cause some hesitation, because it is serious business. Yes it is scarey, but what about stage IV cancer isn't scarey? I would love to do that myself but have been told there are too many small lesions in the liver and it is more for 1 or 2 larger ones. When I typed in SIRT procedure for Liver cancers, I pulled up a a few discussion from the past on this board one was started by blindsidedinNY among others that gave further information. Good luck to you.

Thank you, Fragile. Good to hear you weigh in. Don't be brushed off and leave it alone. I've read several different people saying they were told "no" because they had mets elsewhere or this and that..But, the truth is, I have extensive bone mets and probable lung involvement (keep hearing about "ground glass" appearance) and I also have "innumerable" lesions in liver. I am marching on with this procedure and, if you desire, push for it elsewhere. From what I've read, it may be worth the time. Good wishes coming your way!

Every day I look at the new discussions and always amazed at how many different procedures there are. I know nothing about this one just want to say that my prayers are with you and your family. Let us know what you decide and when so that I can pray for you.

Hitekbaby, chckenlivered sure caught my attention...did not have the faintest idea what SIR stood for ...but as mduda says I am once again amazed by some of the procedures out there available to help us. Wishing you all the best, it sounds pretty scary to me too but as Frag says what about MBC isn't scary???
Prayers and wishes
Jo

Hey Sweetie

I hope your 'boat has come in' and this is just the fix for you. As Jo refers to the above mentioned description, "chicken-livered" you certainly aren't there Girlie! As is often said 'cancer ain't for sissies'.......and as one quote I read recently (that gave me a laugh) says:

"Don't knock at death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that."

(......note to self: must buy faster running shoes)

Wishing and praying for the VERY best outcome for you with this.......xxxGGC

Thank you soooooo much for this info and phone number. I am going to call on Monday for my mom. It is the sharing of this kind of information that is the backbone of this site. I am always amazed at what the good women on the site do for one another. You are a treasure. Mary

Hi
the treatment sounds interesting.I have not had that treatment but i have had 6 embolisations ( for arterial venous malformation)I got an infection which caused me a lot of problems but the ooperatio itself was very doable .i am still here alive and kicking and I would put it in the catergory of "a bit achey and i would much rather not but it is totally worth it"
good luck

I wish you much success with the procedure, I will be praying for you. Keep us posted. CurrentRiverGal

Thank you, Current River Gal. I needed to hear that today. I'm struggling with some issues and it really helped to receive a simple, kind message. My shunt study (before SIR spheres) is supposed to be July 15. Please do remember me in your prayers. Suellen

I am scheduled for the 1st of 2 sirt procedures on friday . Been doing mets for 10 years bone lung liver brain....liver unstable with innumerable lesions.. I hope to be ble to let you know how it goes. It took alot to get it approved. Best to all-new to site.

Rock on, Metqueen!!! You made me smile, too. 10 years with liver involvement gives me such hope. I have a 4 year old little girl that I watch fall asleep every night and I am horrified at the thought of not being here for her as she grows up. (Not to mention my 10 year old son.) I just will not hear of it. I am willing to try anything, like you. Even something as frightening as SIRT.It angers me when I read tonight that over 50% of high risk women don't receive post mastectomy radiation to the site..which is very important to prevent recurrence. I had a small tumor and no lymph nodes Stage 1. I also had a very high oncotype score risk of recurrence which was ignored in terms of adjuvant radiation treatment.They said I didn't need it as I had no lymph node involvement. Guess I'll be hitting the radiation on the back side with this procedure! You can't look back."Sorrow looks back, worry looks around and Faith looks up."God bless you and please don't forget to let me know how it goes. You'll be in my prayers. Suellen

My Onc suggested cyberknife for my liver mets, but this SIR is intriguing. I've also heard about radiofrequency ablation. Need to research all 3 before I decide. I'm clear everywhere else, just 2 pesky small tumors camping out in my liver. Onc thinks one might be scar tissue from dead tumor.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders