Brillant news about Eve Ellis board member of SGK

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-komen-resignation-board-b rinker-20120209,0,1606044.story

wants to shake up the whole board...bless her

Hugs,
karen

16 replies. Join the discussion

Here I go...

It seems to me that this woman is unhappy that the sgk org. did something that SHE personally didn't like. Well, you know what - there will always be someone that doesn't like a decision. I am appalled that she would ask the FOUNDER to resign, just because SHE doesn't like the decision!

Imagine, starting something that is the essence of your heart, and the way you try to honor someone, and then a person who used to be on your board tries to take the whole thing over - from you, because she didn't like a decision! It's shameful!

Let me give an example that is totally unrelated, so you all don't think I am just being too pro-life. At my kids' school, there was a teacher that did the play every year, for years and years, and years. Two years ago, a few members of the PTA board for that year, decided they didn't like the way she was running things, and they started a campaign against her, so bad, that the principal suggested she step down to SAVE HERSELF FROM LEGAL ACTION, because these ladies were going to claim child abuse, because she "yelled at the students". Big whoop - de- doo!! But, in the end, these few women threw their collective weight around, and basically caused so much trouble, that it was "easier" to give in than to fight. And so, no more play at my kids' old school, which means no acting lovers at the high school, and THEY are at the beginning of losing their drama program.

And the longer this whole sgk thing goes on, the more convinced I am that it's not about breast cancer at all! It's about planned parenthood!

And say what you want, every single statement made by every single person - that has to do with this whole saga - is political.
Political to the left or political to the right, but political all the same.

You can't say pro-lifers are being political when they say something but pro abortion choicers aren't being political when they say something.

People make mistakes, and if those mistakes bother others enough, they try to rectify those mistakes. So give Brinker a chance to rectify something that bothers others. Donate or don't donate, but certainly don't try to think you should just take her organization away from her!

If everyone is so mad that funding wasn't going to planned parenthood, and now it is, then why can't they simply be grateful that sgk changed their mind? They got what they want.

Dragging it on and on and on is politics!
LW

The founder LIED and then LIED again and is still lying. Komen is much bigger than Nancy Brinker and it is to survive the must start telling the truth and get politics out of their funding decisions.

Integrity matters, telling the truth matters. Komen and Brinker have still not told the truth.

Handel was involved and had her agenda coming on. Brinker said she wasn't but now that Handel resigned she said she was directly involved in the decision. Which one is it? It can't be both.

Why is Handel the only one with an agenda? Don't they all have agendas?

Komen is MUCH bigger than Brinker or her sister. She LIED, doesn't the truth matter? Handel took Komen down for her agenda against women...but all that did is opened up Komen to people looking at their books. How much they actually spend on research and 'the cure' and how much on salaries and bene's for board members.....including Brinker.

So they have alienated women who support women's choice about their own body and have now alienated those who want to control what women do with their own bodies....who is left?

But you didn't answer the question.

What question, about agendas? The agenda of Komen should be the cure and supporting women with early detection and breast health education. Early detection thru breast exams and referals to mammograms for all women not just women who visit certain health clinics...not just women who can afford a doctor visit or have insurance. ALL women no matter what clinic they visit. Poor women deserve breast education and referals for mammograms too.

Komen needs to put more money toward research. If they're for "the cure" then get on it already. That's my biggest beef. They exist for their own sake more than for the actual needs of people who are going to die from this disease some day. They won't support researchers who uses embryonic stem cells even if a cure could be found this way. They rake in more money than anyone, but put something like 15% into research. That just doesn't cut it when we're sitting here watching the clock ticking.

Not only did Brinker LIE but the direction she has taken accepting corporate money for sponsorships from Kentucky Fried Chicken and for perfume composed of carcinogenics is disgusting especially when women on chemo are sooo sensitive to scents and focusing on physical beauty at a time when we fight to save our lives! Where is the cure? I say her decisions as a CEO have been heartless and against the mission of the foundation that we and the people who love us have been raising money for and if there hadn't been a backlash against her, she would have stopped funding to a place where women who don't have money can go for screening! She doesn't deserve to stay. Go. We need to know that when we fundraise or people who love us fundraise that the money will be going to support women with breast cancer and not have an absurd agenda revolving around putting Planned Parenthood out of business. It seems to me that this was another way to take away rights from women that we have fought to keep for decades! We have to fight for our rights!

The continued lies and direction of money flow from research to staff means she should go. All of SK should reevaluate their mission, and commitment to research. It doesn't matter the political agenda, this was badly handled start to finish.

They are now trying to gloss over all the lies and move forward. Until they start telling the truth and resolve the huge salaries and benefits on their execs, have a non partisan policy for funding and stop the ridiculous law suits over the word 'cure' they will have issues.

I saw this on another site, looks like its going to be a long road for Nancy Brinker
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/13/komen-founder-nancy-brinke r-s-puzzling-expense-report.html

bad juju

By demanding that employees call her Ambassador Brinker, she clearly places her importance at the forefront. What a shame that her ego has gone out of control.

What????? Ambassador???? Oh man, she needs to b dethroned and quick, what the hell happens to people? This is about breast cancer, finding a cure or safe treatment, and honoring her sister.

Unfortunately they have strayed very far from their mission and the PP debacle has shown a very bright light on that. They are now trying to put the genie back into the bottle by trying to ignore the whole thing. They need to 1) tell the truth about what and why the PP decision was made 2) the entire board needs to go including Brinker, maybe even especially Brinker as she seems to be the one who feels entitled to first class everything on the donors dime 3) put more into the cure including stem cell research 4) stay OUT of politcs

I much appreciate reading this thread. In your usual style, R, you clearly and concisely layout the truth/ heart of the issue. With the additional challenge of a brain impaired by chemo and surgery, I struggle to process through all the noise and craziness in cancerland. It is such a comfort to be able to check in here and find articulate, strong, thinking folks for support and validation. Thanks to all who fight for truth, accountability, and evidence based care!

I too appreciate R's concise and thorough assessment.
Hope SGK turns their organization upside down. They've lost so much credibility.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders