Breast Cancer in Peritoneum

My Mum had recently been diagnosed with advanced breast cancer in her Perritineum, its been 15 years since her original breast cancer which she had thought she had beaten but unfortunatly it has came back. Her doctors have told her this is quite rare & i'm unable to find much information on the internet, I was just wondering if anyone else was suffering with the same thing and if they had any advise on it.The main & worst symptom of this at the moment is chronic diarrohea resulting in her not being able to leave the house. Her cancer is hormone responsive therefore she has been put on Arimidex, which she has been told will relieve her symptoms in time, she has now been on this for 3 months and her symptoms are improving slightly but not as dramatically as we had hoped. Just wondered really if anyone else was suffering with this and if they could give any advise on any positive treatments.

5 replies. Join the discussion

I was originally diagnosed with BC in May 1999. It spread to my peritoneum in Aug. 2006. I was on aromatase inhibitors until Dec. 2009. During that time I still worked fulltime and felt great. Then it had spread to my liver too. So, I started on Chemo. But really I am still doing good. Working part time and feeling good enough to enjoy things.

If you put the word "Peritoneum" in the Find IT this will be the results. There has been a few women on this forum that has had their cancer return to that area. Best to you and your mom

https://www.inspire.com/groups/advanced-breast-cancer/search/?query=Periton eum&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

I haven't had the peritoneum that you describe but I was hormone positive with my first episode with cancer and I took arimidex - with wonderful results!! In fact, I practically begged my doctor to stay on it after my 5 yrs were up. Hope your mum has as good a result with it as I did!!!

Thanks for your replys, its nice to hear positive news, my Mum has to go back to her Oncologist next week to see how the Arimidex is working, fingers crossed there will be an improvment. She has good and bad days at the moment. This site is fantastic and i'm learning lots. Thank you

When I went for genetic counseling, the DR. told me this when asking if positive for the gene, if my percentages would diminish just from taking out the ovaries- not the breasts. She said w/ just ovary removal, many women get the peritoneum cancer.
I belive my Mom has this mets too, but she has decided against anymore testing. Her stomach looks like she is 9 mos. Pregnant, her skin looks like it's a badly sunburned leather & she has over 50 tumors now on her chest, stomach & back. It's also in her lymphatic system, but the doc has mentione the peritoneum too. We just don't know. I am the type that if I don't know, it stresses me alot. I'd rather know than wonder when she gets pain here or there& it's been alot lately, if it's BC mets....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders