Metoprolol, you sneaky Little Devil!

I am 8 1/2 months post CABGx5, and for the last several months I have been experiencing mild depression, insomnia, nightmares, weight gain, coughing and coughing, fatigue, and perhaps the most troublesome of all - lots of joint pain. I have probably overlooked a few more complaints, but you get the picture .... I am becoming more and more miserable. And frankly, I think I look like hell. :( I feel as though I have aged 10 years in the last few months and I am not happy about it.

Needless to say, I have been asking my doctor about all this, and even had some X-rays for the arthritis flare-up. Yup, I have arthritis - this is not news to me, I have dealt with it for 30 years - I am 55. Anyway, my doc put me on an NSAID and we crossed our fingers. I got a little relief, but not much.

Google, here I come again! What my doctor was telling me wasn't making a lot of sense so I started searching for other possible culprits for my misery. I checked out each of the drugs I now take daily and Lo and Behold .... Gotcha! Metoprolol, you Little Pink Devil you!!! I've got your number now, Bucko!

I found that I was experiencing every common side effect of the Pink Devil, and several of the not so common and even the rare side effects. Off I go to the doc again, print out in hand (which he hates btw) to talk about switching me off this nasty little Devil.

Long story short, we agreed that I would cut my 50mgs 2x daily dosage in half and check back in two weeks. If no improvement, then we'll switch to something else.

Well, it's been 10 days now and I am feeling quite a bit better. Definitely not normal yet, but I don't know if I'd even recognize normal anymore - it's been so long since me and normal got together.

So Folks, has anyone else discovered that Metoprolol is a little Devil?

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.