When do you take your Plavix and Aspirin?

Since changing to the generic plavix, my GERD is back with a vengeance. Do you take them both together and what time of day? I was always told to take them together inthe morning with food.
Thanks Ladies.
Pattie

13 replies. Join the discussion

I took the brand name Plavix and the 81 mg Bayer aspirin together daily from Oct 2009-June 2012 at 10:00 am every morning with or without food. I was then taken off the Plavix in June 2012 and put on 325 mg Bayer aspirin. Plavix is only a blood thinner. I was afraid to take the generic Plavix after reading the warning signs. I was used to the brand ones. All meds have there side effects. Since I moved from one state to another I have gone to another pharmacy and the medications look different from what I am used to taking. I got sick on one of the new generic ones. OMG! I had palpitations, irregular hearts beats, woke up with a fast heart rate. My heart was flip- flopping in my chest, Oh boy! scared. I was in the emergency room fast. they had given me fernidine instead of simvastatin. So check your meds!!!! Read all warning labels!! see if any clash with your other meds. I never tried the generic Plavix instead Cardiologist makes me take the 325mg of Bayer at 10:00 am every morning with my other meds.

I've been on brand plavix since 2002 with asperin ( 162mg twice a day ). Only been on generic for a few weeks but haven't had any problem with reflux. I take the plavix and a handful of other cardiac meds 10:00am.
FYI: Plavix is more than a blood thinner. It makes the platelets less sticky to each other and to inflammation sites, abrasions or plaque ruptures in our arteries. Because my coronary arteries are small and I am a "proliferator" (a la one of the docs who did one of my 13 stents, which I think means I form scar tissue inside arteries more than the average heart patient), plavix and asperin are important meds to me.

I am on Plavix and 325 mg aspirin/day. I take the aspirin at night and the Plavix in the morning. I have read a lot of heart related material where it is advised to take aspirin at night.

To PCHYK ,
I know about the bruising. omg! I took Plavix and my legs, thighs and arms, stomach was bruising. I had little bruising when I first went home from the nursing home. The simvstatin gave me bruising , and burning sensations. Bad muscle cramps and joint pain.

My Cardiologist recommened I take my Bayer 325 mg aspirin every morning at 10:00 am in place of the Plavix. with or without foods. Along with my heart meds and Lasix.

I am a heart attack patient. I had a triple bypass and was put into a induced coma. My veins were removed from my right leg to re-route my heart arteries. Stents didnt work for me. My heart attack was severe enough to do bypass. I had 3 clogged arteries and needed to be opened. I have Atherosclerosis, Heart Diease. I am no longer on the Plavix 75 mg. I have been placed on Bayer 325 mg in pkace of the Plavix which I take every morning at 10:00 am with other meds. I was on 19 meds, 2/12 years ago but God had blessed me to be down to 4 meds plus the bayer aspirin since my heart attack. I am strongly encouraged.

It doesn't matter what time you take your plavix or aspirin, just keep it approximately the same time each day. You can take them separately or together, with or without food. If one or the other bothers your stomach take with food. Just do what works best for you and at a time you won't forget to take them.

Hi,
I agree with Sethi: I take the aspirin at night and the Plavix in the morning. A lot of heart experts advise to take aspirin at night (Dr. Oz included).
I have been on the brand Plavix since 2004 and was "reluctantly" switched to generic last month. I thought I would have a lot of difficulty with the generic---but so far so good. I take the 81 mg of aspirin before bed and actually bite it in half while taking it, so it dissolves. Believe it or not, before it did this, I found the pill when checking my stool in the a.m.......

Thanks so much, Pchyk, for that information. I definitely did not know that. So I better swallow the aspirin whole to avoid heart burn, etc. I love this website.

My doctor recommends my Bayer Aspirin 325 mg be taken every mornig at 10:00 am in place of the Plavix time with other morning meds. At nite I take other heart meds so as not to clash. I take my meds as my Cardiologist requires. Not at anytime or as long as I take them, or one in the morning or one at nite. I make sure to follow all the procedures correctly. Everybody's Heart symptoms and illnesses maybe different and require different methods of medciations, times and how they are used, but have the same target that is to get better and stay heart healthy.

It's interesting the discussion of whether to take the aspirin at night. The antiplatelet effect is irreversible, the aspirin binds and permanently changes the platelet. Thus that platelet remains less effective until it dies, within a few days. From that perspective it makes absolutely no difference when you take the aspirin as long as you take the 81mg (or 75 in the UK) every day.

I guess the other thing people like Dr. Oz bring up is the anti-inflammatory effect. This effect wears off after 3 or 4 hours. Also 81 mg is a miniscule dose from that perspective. The usual dose back before we had tylenol was 650 mg for pain relief or fever reduction. So I'm unsure why night would be better than day, why that particular 3 hours out of a 24 hour day? People are under more stress at waking, so wondering why not then?

There's been no added benefit found to using higher dose aspirin (325 mg) for heart attack prevention and higher incidence of side effects. It is, however, recommended to take 325 mg at onset of heart attack symptoms.

Shantil-Heart.

I was taken off Plavix after 2 1/2 years of being on it. I am a CAB/CAD. Cardiologist surgeons gave me a Triple Bypass surgery after I had a heart attack from 3 clogged arteries. Doctors performed the bypass and put me on Plavix so as to make sure the blood was not sticking or too thick and was flowing through the new veins they had taken from my right leg and implanted them in my heart. After taking Plavix from Oct 2009- june 2012 My Cardiologist changed me to Bayer Aspirin 325 mg in place of the Plavix. He stated i no longer needed it and take the aspirin daily at 10:00 am. I have done pretty well coming off 14 medications and being in a comatose state for numerous days, now I am down to 4 medications and the bayer aspirin 325 mg. I too take Metoprolol 50 mg 3 times a day. The main target is that everyone of us takes the right medications as directed to get back a strong healthy heart. Stay postive in whatever we do and say. I eat plenty of Salmon for the omega 3 and fish oil.

Thank you so much PCHYK

I eat salmon 3-4 times a week. with frozen fresh veggies & brown rice. The Omega 3 & fish oil greases my arteries. I have Atherscelorsis, Heart Diease. Salmon is good for us. I went through a CHF class of 6 weeks through Kaiser Permanente, The Nutritionist taught me how to prepare and eat different heart healthy foods after my heart attack. So I must excercise 4-5 times a week 30 mins-1 hour and eat heart healthy. No Sodium!!! The salt box is in the garbage lol! I only used Mrs. Dash & some herbs. I only eat fish, chicken & turkey, some red meat, but not often. lots of fruits. no more fast foods & no more soul foods, lol!!! I eat lots of tomatoes for that Lo-pene(Lor-pene) anixodants. I want a strong recovery & finish life strong. smile.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.