What kind of asprin do you take?

I have AFib. (irregular heart beats) the doc. prescribed Metoprolol and and 1 asprin a day. I was wondering what kind of asprin do most of you take? Do you take a baby asprin? coated asprin? full strength (325mg)? do you take a brand name or just the store brand? does it make a difference?

I alternate a baby asprin with a full strength (325mg) store brand every other day?

47 replies. Join the discussion

You need to call him back and ask which one he is prescribing. I take a low dose (Bayer baby asprin type). I take the Walmart brand.

I know peeps who take a full strength however.

The strength you take really depends upon what your doctor has advised that you take.

My doctor prescribed one 81 mg. daily and I take Plavix, too, since I have stents. I'd check with your doctor if I were you.

I take Plavix and one 81mg coated aspirin per day

I was told to take 81mg of aspirin. I took Bayer because my doctors office gave me a years worth of free samples.

Fairlight --- PLEASE check back with your doctor! My aunt got herself into a very severe internal bleeding problem because she assumed that when her doc said 1 aspirin/day, he meant the 325mg. NOT SO. She found out (after she ended up in the hospital) that he meant one 81mg/day of coated aspirin.

Yea I would Check with your dr. I take 1 81 mg Walmart brand

I take - per my docs - one 325mg (regular strength) aspirin a day. Cheapest non-coated ones I can find. Plus a ton of other stuff.

Both my husband and I take 2 baby asprins a day. I buy the cheapest brand I can find. Walmart, CVS, etc.

I take 81 mg baby aspirin. I get the chewable ones so I can take with nitro anywhere if I need them.

Good topic! Saw my hematologist and cardiologist this past week and this subject came up!

I have been on 325 mg (cheapest available) for several years, since discontinuing my plavix. Hematologist asked why, since there is ABSOLUTELY no benefit to taking a whole aspirin vs. an 81 mg. aspirin? Of course, I just stared at him and said, "Cause the cardio put me on it!"

To which he replied, "there is no benefit to more aspirin as studies show we only need 40-60 mg/day to totally cause disruption to the enzyme on the platelets that contributes to coagulation!"

Of course the major side effect is a GI bleed! And we ''older' folks are at great risk for this!

So a few days later, I saw the cardio and brought this up. He agreed totally. And changed me to 81 mg.

So ask your doc. Times are a-changin'! Perhaps you can eliminate at least one risk of our cardiac therapy!

Lynn

Thank you for asking this question....I've been wondering the same thing, and now because you took the time to ask it, I now

know.

My dr. told me to take a low dose 81 mg. I take the orange flavored one, just my preference.

Does anyone take extra aspirin when using nitro?

Due to a recent SVT event Nd heart attack symptoms that landed me in the hospital, another angiogram, my doctor upped my aspirin from 81 to 325..... I had cut down to 81 due to chronic gout (that developed last Summer)....i buy enteric coated aspirin, store brand....I am going to recheck with my GP as I have not spoken with her since my hospitalization a week ++ ago, especially due to Lynn's comment. Thanks. sz

Decoding SVT: supraventricular tachycardia. Nd heart attack: and heart attack. ;-) sz

My hematologist said he can't take 81 mg. aspirin b/c it flares up his gout. Long technical explanation. But 325 does not!

Lynn

goingstrong, this is a little off topic but when you mentioned gout I had to reply. Next time you talk to your hematologist, tell him to try taking tart cherry extract capsules daily as part of his health regimen. My husband had terrible gout in his big toe and my sister - who is a nurse - told him to get tart cherry juice at the store and drink it until he could order the tart cherry capsules. It cured his gout. Once he slacked off on taking it and his gout started to flare up...so he went back on the capsules and has never had it since. It really does work!

As for the original aspiring question posted...I take 1 chewable 81 mg. baby aspirin a day - WalMart brand which costs next to nothing. I take the baby aspirin in the morning and my plavix at night because that was how they gave it to me in the hospital.

Goingstrong, great to know that about how taking a 325mg versus 81 mg makes no difference. I would imagine, however, that during an actual heart attack there is a huge difference in the benefits of the two??

My understanding is that for regular heart and clotting maintenance 81 is as good as 325. That's according to my cardio. So he lowered me to 81 which will provide the same benefit as 325 for regular maintenance. But said in the case of a suspected 'event' to go ahead with the full 325.

That's very interesting cajingal, about the tart cherry caps and I will definately pass that on!

I remember in nursing school learning about the enzyme that the aspirin works on on the surface of the platelets and thinking, "Wow, our bodies are really amazing little machines!"

Lynn

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.