Very sore left shoulder and neck

I am just wondering if anyone else out there ever wakes up with a terribly sore shoulder, which causes a lot of pain and gives you little range of motion in the effected arm.
I have major problems with my spine, but was not aware of any cervical problems until now.
I have been putting heat on my left shoulder all day and taking pain pills. It is some better, but it just takes time, I guess for the pain to wear off.
Please let me know if anyone else suffers from this occasionally, because it is scary...and makes me wonder if it could be heart trouble, or a cervical problem.
Thank you for any advice you can give me. I am a 61 yr. old female with very bad spinal problems.

33 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Carol,

YES! Isn't is fun to wake up all cricked up in pain??? NOT!!! (smile) I do what you do....heat, Tylenol, a few choice swear words, yoga stretches...I don't let it freeze up no matter how painful...I keep gently pushing and stretching...or work on it in a lap lane.

best of luck to you,
Jaynie

Hi, Martzi:
You are very smart to keep on doing exercises. I have an inversion table that I purchased to help with my back pains, but now, I can't get my left arm to go behind my head and onto the floor. My right arm goes back, but my left one hurts like crazy, and I have very little range of motion.
I guess, no matter how much it hurts, I had better bend and stretch that arm.
Thank you so much for your very good advice.

Carole

Hi! Yes! I have been suffering with frozen shoulder since late October. Don't know what I did to trigger it but it's just now beginning to get a little better. Mine is right side -- worse at night (it does wake me up) and early morning. I do gentle stretching and "walking my hand like a spider up the wall" every day. Tylenol and at times Vicodine (when it's super bad). I try not to baby it during the day when the pain seems to subside. But, I also am careful re heavy grocery bags, etc. I haven't gone to doc about it but will mention it next regular appt. for heart. I'm just glad it seems to be slowly going away!!! Good luck. Hugs, laurali

Hi, Laurali,
Thank you for responding. I love this website where we can all get together and compare notes. lol
My daughter lives out of state, but she is a Physical Therapy instructor. I called her today, and she told me that I probably have an impenged nerve in my shoulder.
Mine is worse at night and also wakes me up. It really hurts in the morning, especially when there is a lot of stressful situations to have to deal with.
In the evening, after taking darvaset ,aspirin, and Naprosen, it seems to get better.
I hope that we can all get ourselves straightened out before Spring.
Thanks so much again,
Carole

I'm a side sleeper.....usually on my right side because that seems to take more lung weight off my heart and I breathe better. But when I wake up scrunched up on my left side, that's when the neck cricks sometimes creep in. How sneaky is that.....our necks pinching nerves while we are snoozing in dreamland ? (smile)

Be sure you are only stretching very very gently and very very slowly. It could involve nerves and/or slightly slipped cervical disks so take it very easy. I play around with various pillow levels and firmness to accomodate the 'neck ache de jour' issues.

take good care,
Jaynie

me again,

I just remembered I get great results from neck cricks or back/lumbar pains when I head outside to pull flowerbed weeds. For some reason that straightens things out. Might be specific to me. I seem to have inherited degenerative disk disease and I'm doing my best to stay ahead of it...avoid prolongued compression positions. One bumpy flight can make a lot of lumbar trouble.

Jaynie:
Thank you so much again for the advice. My daughter told me that I am probably sitting in a bad position at my computer desk, or lying on one side too long, like you say.
I had a revolution last night, however. I remembered that I had some Flexaril a muscle relaxer, in my cabinet. I took just a half one, and felt so much better.
I think that we are all more tense than we realize.
Take care, and don't get in a pinch. lol

Carole

Dear Caroleelaine,

You don't need to publicly answer this question but: are you large breasted?

I am a massage therapist and have run into this problem many times with large breasted women. A good massage therapist can do much to free your shoulders up. You might want to consider wearing a sports bra to bed.

Here is the BEST, very inexpensive, hot pack: Get a pair of l-o-n-g (knee-high) men's sport socks. Fill one with 2 lbs. of plain white rice. (Dollar Store is fine.) You'll need to use/make a funnel. Tie a knot in the end of the sock with the rice, and place the first sock upside down into the second sock. (Second sock can be removed for washing.) Place in mircowave for not more than 4 minutes (or it will cook and burn). You can also wrap the sock in a wet (squeezed out) hand towel for moist heat. Be careful--HOT! Also, using Icy Hot, or some real gen-u-ine Tiger Balm helps (can be purchased at a Chinese grocery store). You can walk around with this pack, and even take it with you in your car, shopping, or visiting.

A few years ago I gave these out as Christmas gifts and I still get comments about how great they are.

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Sherrie:
What wonderful advice you just gave me...thank you so much. Yes, I am rather top heavy, and a sports bra at night is a wonderful idea.
Also, your idea with the socks and rice is priceless. I will certainly try this.
Thank you so much, again....I just love this website. If any of you are on facebook, let me know and we can all be friends.

Carole

There might be something to the top heavy thing...I am very top heavy and have suffered for years with shoulder problems on the left side mostly....I use pressured hot water on mine and it relaxes some of the pain away....

Many thanks for the rice and sock tip. My left shoulder also freezes up in the morning. I used to sleep on my left side because it made my surgical scar feel better and I thought they said the heart needed the extra blood flow, but now I find myself on my right side. My left arm aches when I wake up. This morning I tried Nitro Spray and the pain went away. I was hoping this was muscular too. But I will use the socks and rice heat. You're a doll, Dandelion.

I get so many nice people on here giving great advice. Thanks to all of you.
Much love,

Carole

I ordered one of those bags, filled with herbs, and you heat it in the microwave. I think I have worn mine out, and they are pretty hard to find. If you can find one...put it in the microwave for about two minutes....the heat is great on a stiff neck or shoulder...or back, for that matter.

Carole

Dear Carole,

You can add your own essential oils (go easy) to the rice pack, if you want. Just mix it in the rice before placing in the sock. Wonderful aroma when you heat it up. Lavendar is very relaxing.

In the FB search engine, type in Sherrie Petkus, and you will find me. Send a friend request. Several heart sisters are on the FB board. I'll hook ya' up. We have fun!

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Sherrie:
I will do that now, and thank you again. You have such great advice. I am going to call you Martha Stewart. lol

P. S. There is definitely something to the frozen shoulder/large breasted theory. Also, dowager's hump. We rarely see it in small-breasted women. If you can find someone to massage your entire back, especially around the shoulder blades, it will also help. Just use plain ol' vegetable oil.

Another technique: Stand (or sit) in a hot shower for at least five minutes to let the muscles warm up. Hold your shoulders back as far as you can. S-l-o-w-l-y turn your head from side-to-side looking backward as far as your periferal vision will allow. Do this about 5 times on each side trying to increase your periferal vision each time. Also, slowly rotate (roll in a circle) your shoulders forward three or four times, and backward three of four times. You will probably start to hear cracking all over. This is good! Try to do it at least once a day for a week, or so, and I suspect you will gain tremendous relief.

On the bra: You can keep down the strap on the side that is hurting you. You don't want a tight bra--just enough support to keep those babies from flopping around and so you can still breathe easily.

Make sure you dress warmly enough when you go outside. If you are hunching your shoulders and bracing against the cold, you are not dressed warmly enough. Your shoulders should be relaxed when you go out into the cold.

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Sherrie:
That is wonderful advice. I am going to get someone to give me a massage as soon as possible. I no longer get into the bathtub for fear of not being about to get out.
I do take long, hot showers, though. I will try everything you talked about, and thank you, once again.

Carole

Hi, I have also had pain in left shoulder and arm and went to see a physio yesterday. I hadn't noticed before but my posture was causing it. I 'slouch' my left shoulder and lean it forward which caused the muscle to be in the wrong position. (He explained it better than that but it's been a long day!) He manipulated it and squished the muscle back into position and gave me some exercises to do to train the muscle back to its correct position. So far so good.

He also said not to have too many pillows as if your head is propped too high it will cause pain in the neck area which will pull on the muscles in the neck/shoulder area.

I also saw my cardio today and mentioned it to him and he agrees that it's musculoskeletal and not heart related (relief x2!)

Hope you are pain free soon.

Jay

Hi, Jay:
Thank you for responding. I know what you mean about poor posture and too many pillows. I seem to keep getting pinched nerves in my shoulder, but then it gets better for a while.
I have spinal problems, and have lost four inches of height.
Sometime if I have to walk very far my back hurts me to the point of exhaustion and I get weak and nachous.
I would love to believe that my back will get better, but I have had too many doctors tell me that it won't. At this point I need a miracle, and I do believe in miracles, so who knows.
Thanks so much for your wonderful advice.

Carole

Hi,
I'm surprised nobody mentioned too heavy of a purse can cause issues too! lol

Mine was caused by being rear ended a few times in car accidents. I also have slight scoliosis which doesn't help matters either.

Improving my posture really helped. My sister has had the same experiences and she has gotten relief from chiro, accu puncturist and now a PT. She was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. I'm guessing I have it also but never got tested.

My pain is chronic so if I ever have a pain free day I feel like a different person! I had to stop the flexeral and paid killer route or would become an addict.

My mom's issues were caused by poor posture that she never corrected. She now has a hump that can't be reversed so I'm motivated not to let that happen to me! Since all 3 women in our family have frequent neck pain I was worried about it being angina also but so far it's not related. My mom didn't have blocked arteries per her cath test so that was a relief to us.

There's been great exchange of advice on this thread!

Thanks everyone!

KK

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.