??? To all MVDers and to CAS !

Hello everyone! In the last few weeks I have noticed when in the shower I get symptoms like chest tightness the longer I stay the worst it gets, I never had this kind of discomfort before, in fact felt good in showers as far as FM pain is concerned, but chest and back pain angina is worst, anyone can relate to these symptoms and are they related to mvd?

New also ( this is embarrassing ) blushing as I type, feels like my breast are starting to feel heavy on my chest standing or lying, I find I have to do some lifting with my hands to feel relief and I can breath again, btw I'm not heavy chested I wear a B cup, just bugging me lately!

14 replies. Join the discussion

Wonder if shower thingy is from exertion, because I could be ok prior to shower, but while in there I start to feel bad!

I was suspecting the exertion for the shower. It doesn't seem that hard, but showering is one of the most challenging tasks when people are recovering from a surgery or illness. I occasionally get light headed in the shower. I've heard lots of women talk about bra discomfort when they are having symptoms, so you are not alone there. I find I take my bra off a lot more often during the day than I used to.

Yarnkitty thanks for replying! My problem is with my bra off my breast feel heavy! I no longer wear a bra @ home only when I go out but soon as I get home it comes off! You mentioned "when they are having symptoms" I seem to be constantly symptomatic lately! I'm not yet stable ! I'm not optimistic either about becoming stable! Hmm... That could very well be why the discomfort in the shower=exertion ugh!

Shower - Could be exertion, could be the heat of the shower also consumes "bandwidth" in the right afferent insula that helps to regulate your autonomic responses (vasodilation, constriction, etc.). I find sometimes at home, I feel SOB. Step outside in the cold, and the SOB goes away.

Breasts - yep - it just seems to add to the tightness. A few threads on bras here.

So many weird things to factor in and figure out. Too many!

xoxo Mary

Cashmere8-

I had started getting a feeling that I just ran a marathon after taking just a short shower. Shaving the legs omg ... I have found a better way to deal with the no bra too, I had that problem early on and the ache would drive you nuts. I am a DD so I have to use something and realized the Lycra tank tops support you with soft support. It is so great to get on here and read that you are not alone. It has made it better for me having all of you ... Hugs Christie

MaryLG, I think you're right on about the heat/ shower/ constriction/ along with what Yarnkitty says the exertion' darn it too many things to remember, can't plunge in doing the obvious without giving it much thought anymore... living and learning with you!

Christie how true and comforting! there is something to be said about community living relating to each other in ways the healthy person can't understand especially things like ( breast feel too heavy for the chest) I'm complaining about my small B can't imagine DD!
My heart goes out to you

Hugs Sonia

Understand the small cup and the need to lift! I have the problem often when I get up AM. I put on a supportive bra and I'm OK. Tis strange, and I've wondered if this was connected to heart issues. Appears so. Thank you.

What everyone said is spot on... I recall being shocked a shower could be so exertive, but upper body movements and anything raising arms is now often the harder things I do. Even driving can be. : / there is a MET scale for how we rate exertion somewhere... I'd link it but I'm on phone and in bed. Google METs and exertion scale? To get an idea of exertion measurement. And yes- heat is just another aggravation. Neighbor just got hot tub but I dunno if I'd feel good using it!!!

I am likely an A cup and even I get the chest heaviness feeling- esp up stairs... Who would think???? !!!!!!

Cashmere,
Showers ALWAYS make me feel bad. Faint, chest pain, tired. I have to rest afterwards. I have even been using the sponge bath method lately instead! I love showers but don't feel I can cope with them every day. Sometimes I use a shower chair, especially when I need to wash my hair, and sometimes I save the chair to sit on whilst drying and getting dressed. This MVD/CAS is a problem!

Artista
Prior to my diagnosis with beast MVD I use to go to the pool and enjoy chilling in the hot tub because of FM it was soothing and helped my achy muscles, but since my diagnosis or just prior to I was noticing when in the hot tub I would get the heavy sensation and basically the feeling I get from showering now, maybe if you sit in the hot tub only from the waist down, i am a small person when I sat in I was covered up to my shoulders can't stand it any longer:( just a thought.

Iloveliving,
Funny you brought up the shower chair! Just last week one day out of the blue my husband asked me if we should get me a shower chair my initial reply was I'm not there yet!! My pride got the best of me thinking its for disabled people and the elderly! And there you are many years younger than myself and don't think twice about available aids... I know sooner then later I have to except the fact that I do need help.... But dang it-still fighting!! Thank you.
Hugs Sonia

I generally do a short soak in a tub (shallow), then wash hair, etc with the hand-held shower thingy. My husband put one in on a sliding bar and it's been great. I generally do not have a hassle with this approach.

xoxo Mary

Thanks for all replies its much appreciated!

Hugs to all
Sonia

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.