Throat flutter that makes me cough

Well it seems something maybe going on with my heart. This random flutter in my throat that causes me to cough, a heart that seems to have a low grade ache on occasion and a normal stress test but a rapid spike in my BP 180/100 as I completed the test. I am three and a half years out from my bypass surgery in 2007 and I have recently been taken off my third statin three months ago because of adverse reactions. My recent labs were awful. Triglicerides and cholestrol have climbed to 259 and 297 respectively. We are now trying pravastatin. The exercise I have been so diligent about has become such an effort to complete 30 minutes when I could previously go for an hour and feel like I still could go for longer.

I will have my third visit in a month to the cardio's office the beginning of December. So far my BP medicine has been doubled and I no longer have the sensation that my ears are blocked and the confusion and unwell feeling I had has disappeared. But I still have this flutter and occasional ache. Anyone else have had experience with symptoms like this?

Suggestions?

Spuds

15 replies. Join the discussion

Oh Spud, I'm so sorry to hear this. First question is are you on an ACE inhibitor? Could that be the BP med they doubled? Can cause cough in 15% of pts.

Second, question, is it possible for you to take phytosterols to help reduce your cholesterol? They usually don't have any downside. You take it 30 min before a meal that will contain cholesterol and it 'blocks' the body from absorbing the cholesterol.

Keep us informed..........and good luck!

How disappointing for you that your ability to exercise is compromised. It is good that your cardio is able to see you so frequently, I hope that you see improvement soon.
i was interested to see your comment about symptoms of feeling like your ears are blocked with confusion. I have had that symptom since my problems began (and before they were verified). I often feel like I have an earache with pressure in that area as well as the roof of my mouth, back of my throat and back of my head. I have low/normal BP. It can happen with one ear or when it is bad, both ears and sides of my head. Also the accompanying feeling of confusion, like I am in a fog making it hard to focus on any "brainwork".

Spuds,

I sometime get the ache or heaviness in my chest. My doctor has told me it is nothing so I just take it easy when I feel that way and pray it is not another heart attack on the way.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warm Regards,

Rose

Hi spudcat,
I get an ache heaviness in my chest, 6 am, then later in the day, or if I lay on one side, look out.

yes bp meds can cause coughing and my mom said dizziness also......

fluid build-up in around ears can cause foggy brain, I have some calcium under neath my jaw in the salivary glands. my dentist has confirmed.... causes ear pain, .............. also go to chiropractor. he works on my stiff neck which causes brain fog.

hoping for your health to improve.
I believe in alternative supplements some people don't so I try honor them..
good night d

Hi GoingStrong,

I thought of you when I started having shortness of breath and I was losing my exercise chops. If I remember right you ended up having a stent. So this is what has come to mind. While I had a stress test, I am not sure it may fully reflect what is going on. I had a stress test in my late forties because of jaw pain and chest pain. It was negative yet several years later I had an MI and was diagnosed with a blocked LAD and in addition severe CAD in three other arteries. Me thinks this could not have all built up during that time frame.

So I am feeling worried. In answer to your question early on I was switched to ARB's because of that cough. First I was on benicar and recently I switched to losartan a generic ARB. When I asked if it could be the recent change I was told it was unlikely.

Regarding phytosterols what can you suggest that is not soy based? Because of my genetic proclivity to breast cancer. My doc has told me to stay away from all soy products. Your book suggestion on cholesterol was very helpful. It got me on the road to Niaspan that has increased my HDL from 39 to 62. I also believe regular exercise helped too. This is definitely one thing in my favor.

Thanks for your response,
Spuds

Yes Floraggma, I am disappointed but continue to push through. It helps so much to work out at my local hospital's cardiac rehab in there maintenance program. I know I can work hard but if I have an issue help is seconds away. It gives me confidence to be brave when i am feeling a little shakey right now.

So you get the ear and confusion thing....it happens to me when my BP is higher than my usual 140/93 to 158/96. It is reassuring to hear another that experiences this.
Because of all my meds my numbers are usually low 110/66 to 96/ 56. Are you saying it happens to you when you BP is low?

Spuds

Hi Rose,

How are you these days besides the ache and heaviness in your chest that you should not worry about.
Is this angina that is induced by stress or doing too much or does it just come and go randomly?

Warm Regards Back at you Rose,
spuds

From on catmamma to another,
Greetings from me and my furry friend Spud.
I use his name and he doesn't seem to mind.
I too find myself waking up in the night or early morning to my heart pounding on occasion.

Tell me more about the calicum build up in your jaw. Is it calicification in your arteries or around your bone joints. while this causes a foggy brain does it also feel like your ears are at high altitude or you are under water. Regarding foggy brain, I feel like i am wrapped in plastic wrap and must struggle for clarity right down to putting one foot in front of the other.

I am also open to alternatives if they have some evidence based documentation. I use Krill oil, Fish oil, CoQ-10, I also take vitamin D. I use metamucil to drag out the cholesterol in my system, ground flax seed in anything I can put it in and oatbran. I stay away from red yeast rice. But what else would you suggest?

Spuds

Hi Spuds,

Hi Spuds,

I am doing ok. I have problems with my RA and bursitis. Went to the rehumatologist two weeks ago and got a shot but this one only worked a little. He was rather nasty with me. He wants me to do PT 3 time a week. I am out of benefits for this year so I can't. He said well you do it or you will end up needing surgery. I said when the new year come then I can go but not three time a week because I work full time. He said tough, there are places that have it at night. Well guess what, I am tired after working all day and want to get home. I'll do it twice a week. I told my husband his behavior shocked me because he has always been so kind and compassionate. I go out of my way to see him because his office and hours are not convient for me. I am going to chalk it up to him having a bad day. If he is like that when I go again he will be history. I won't tolerate being treated like that.

The ache and heaviness just come randomly. It is not all the time. I don't think it is angina from what the other women have described. This weekend I twice experience a clutching like cramp in my heart. This is brand new. It may be I overdid it this weekend with too much shopping and decorating. I am going on vacation next week and am frantically trying to get as much don as possible. I have a cardio appointment next month so I will tell him about this.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warm Regards,

Rose

Hi Spudcat- I know what you mean about the flutter causing you to cough. I ofter get a big flutter in my heart ( I think it is caused by an out of sync- ectopic - beat ) and I always cough even if I try not to,
Chris

Rose sorry to hear about your doctor's grouchitis. Wouldn't be lovely if we had shots for that. I experienced that same impatience and shortness with my cardiologist who is usually very kind. I think it is their frustration leaking out that they can't always fix what is going on with us and it must be our fault some how. This was actually referred to in a book called How Doctor'sThink. Worth reading if you have got the time.

Here's hoping you have a great vacation and your aches and pains take there own vacation on a cruise far away from you.
Love Ruth

Hi Chris thanks for sharing. This cough is such a weird little thing. I feel a flutter in my chest or throat...I cough a couple of times and i am done till the next time. But your right I can't surpress it...thanks for sharing.

Ruth

Hi Everyone - I am so happy I found this site! On 12/29/10, I had a heart attack while on vacation with my family. It was a total shock! We have no history of heart problems in my family! Anyway, I wound up in a very good hospital in Norfolk Virginia. They placed two stents in one artery and sent me home two days later. It has been one month now and, although I feel great, I do have pain. The doctor says it's nothing. I asked about cardiac rehab and he said I could just do any exercise I wanted, with no restrictions. This makes me nervous. I understand completely what Spuds means about feeling braver and more willing to push herself under supervision. I know I would be more comfortable in that environment too! There is SO much I don't know! The doctors I've talked to lead me to believe that this was a once in a lifetime thing and I'm good to go. But I have metal in my heart and I still don't know what happened to cause my heart attack, so I worry. My kids think I was hiding things from them, but honestly, I thought I had gallbladder problems. I'm so happy I found this site, it's comforting to read everyone's posts and know that I am not alone.

Hi Maurasheart,
Wow you and me both, what I thought was my gallbladder acting up was unstable angina warning me impending heart attack in the making. I did not even imagine that this was my heart. Three weeks into these on an off bouts of angina I did experience "The Big One", which did not feel like any heart attack I heard about. It was a burning sensation in my right chest that would not go away. I was forced to go to the ER by my son and I told them I thought my gallbladder. I was lucid and pleasant as my records later stated and one moment there was an ER doc asking me questions and a nurse hooking me up to an EKG and to my son's horror the room suddenly filled up with an ER medical team. The ER doc looked at me and said," Do you realize you are having a heart attack?" Incredulous that I wasn't getting this and I responded, "Are you sure it's not indigestion."

A year later when I had another little visit to the ER one of the nurses recognized me and said, "it is so good to see you alive. When you left, I was shaking, we thought we were going to lose you."

I truly did not realize I was critical and so near death's door. So welcome to the I think it's my gallbladder club.

And like you, this was not a one time event, been there, done that. It is life changing and does haunt you. Particularly when one feels the whys have not all been adequately answered. I to have always wanted to have all the Whys answered. It has been 3 1/2 years and I still have unanswered questions. Something I guess i have to live it and living is a good thing even if the answers are not there.

So did you go to rehab?

Spuds

I had the flutter , with the cough since I was very young.I remember at 20 thinking I had a chest cold. It really started to bother me after I started teaching Ball room and Latin dance. I would cough during the classes. My primary said I had an irregular heart beat and sent me to a Cardiologist. He had me wear the moniter and told me it was benign PAC's.Which are premature atrial contractions. He told me to cut out caffeen , He said a lot of people have them but don't feel them, since they bothered me he put me on Verapimil once a day .It stopped the skips and I had no side effects from the medication. That was over 18 years ago. I still have to watch the coffee and chocolate and stress. I am with the same Cardiologist and get my checks ups and had complete work up's when I had back surgery and double knee replacement. 3 years ago. He told me to keep dancing because it is good exercise. Maursheart
since you have had other heart problems I do think it would be best if you had your Dr. check it out.
And I wish you the best of luck with your health.

Jtownjeanne

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.