Plavix Rash

Hello all...Has anyone had a rash since taking plavix? I brok out in a complete body rash (head to toe) after taking Plavix for 1 week. I then got a shot of steroids and it went away. My cardiologist suggested it was probably the plavix...but I still had to take it. Well it's been about 8 weeks since the first rash, and I broke out again..but this time even worse. Eyes were swelled almost shut. My lips and hand swelled up with a complete body rash. Once again I went to Dr. and got another shot and it was gone the next day. Do yall think it is possible to have reaction to meds that far apart? I would think if it was the plavix, as soon as the shot got out of my system the rash would start up again..not 8 weeks later? What else could it possibly be? Anyone else had anything like this? Thanks.....Letreze

27 replies. Join the discussion

It may take awhile for the plavix to build up in your system to the point of causing a reaction. Some people are on meds for quite awhile before they start reacting to it. Sounds like a pretty severe reaction. If your lips are swelling up, that's a very severe allergic reaction. Does your doc still want you taking it? Maybe you need some allergy testing/to see an allergist. Personally, I wouldn't take it until they figured it out if the rxn was that bad. Hope you figure it out soon!

I know plavix is considered the "Gold standard" in antiplatelet meds however there are others Two I know of are Ticlodidine and Dipyridamole-(this one seems to be the safest)So talk to your doc about trying something else. I have been checking a lot of them out trying to lower my drug cost without harming my health.When I find something I talk to my docs to see if I can use them safely. Good Luck Pam

Thanks for the suggestions. I am scheduled to see an allergist next month to try to pin point exactly what I am allergic to. I am also glad to hear there are allternatives in meds. When I contacted the Dr. he said take Benadryl for itching and suck it up basically that he was not going to stop or change my meds. I go to a new Cardiologist at the end of the month...I will talk to him about and see about those 2 other drugs. Thanks again...Treze

I've had the plavix rash for 3 years... wasn't ever really sure if it was the plavix or one of the other 18 or so meds i take daily.... assumed it might be plavix just cause had heard others had this.... it's not too bad anymore...at first it nearly drove me nuts with itching...and does so still periodically...but that only lasts a short time...mins to hour...

I became convinced it was the plavix last Nov when my hubby went for cath and stents....and was put on plavix and came home to itching...no real rash like i have tho'....mine is fairly consistent...tiny bumps just under skin..mainly on torso.... his head is where he does most itching...

I just figure mine is one of those trade offs for the heart dis... I'm betting I'll be on it forever too...only 25% EF...cong heart failure... left ventricle doesn't "do" much...on echo it looks like it just sorta barely compresses in middle....nothing working at bottom...HOWEVER, i don't have lips swelling and other stuff like you're having...yours seems like severe allergy... google plavix and check out all contraindications....

Amazing that we CAN still take benadryl on top of this mountain of other meds... I got many wasp stings in the head/neck one day last summer and was terrified of drug interaction but did not know anything else to do but quickly take benadryl (as i'm allergic to wasps) ...Turned out it was OK... benadryl was still safe for me....so keep that in the 'arsenal' if doctors OK it....you are doing right thing to check with other docs...
tina

I truly feel blessed then! I have been on Plavix since Nov. '05 with no side affects. Sorry to hear about your troubles from it Letreze. We have gone through enough and then to have side affects from the meds to geeze. Let us know what your allergist says.
Deb

Hello,
It sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to plavix. I took it for 2 weeks before I had the rash. Then I continued to go downhill from there. They took me off it when I began having heart attack symptoms. It is IMPORTANT that you look at the side effects label for the medication and compare it to what you are experiencing. If you are experiencing ANY of the "rare" side effects contact your doctor immediately. If you continue to take this medication and you are allergic to it, it can shut down other systems in your body.

I Haven't had any rashes from taking plavix but I do have bruises to the point I look abused.

I hope you find out what is causing your reaction

Best of luck
Marie

Hi Aunti Em ;)
You mentioned your Dr took you off Plavix - May I ask ...what did he put you on and how is that working?
I also have a "Plavix Rash" - saw dr today and was given ticlopidine. Little worried about taking anything at this point. Stent was done 7/9/09. Off Lipitor and Low Pressure as they thought they where the cause of the rash ... I dunno.
I just wonder if the "across the board dose" is not good. I weigh 115 - 5 ft - could I really need the same 75 mg of Plavix and 2/ 81 mg of asprin as a man who is 300 pounds and 6ft tall ??? Just saying ....??

today I get on this web site and can't believe what I am reading. Called my Dr today(haven't heard back yet) but yesterday I started to get the hives. Driving me crazy. I had 4 stents put in on 7/29/09. So all that what all of you have written today sure helps me out. So glad I joined this site. Take care all.

Dear Wizzle,
I am glad you mentioned your taking the same dosage that a man takes. I am 119 lbs and 5 ft. 4 inches tall. I am also taking the same dose you are taking. I have been on it since July 17th. The first week I had a rash on my lower back. They said it was not the usual place for Plavix. There are no long studies on women, and one wonders if we should be on such strong doses???????

I also got a rash from Plavix along with allot of other side affects from it. They switched me to Ticlid and I still get the rash but no other side affects. I take Clarinex 5 mg every other day and it has stopped the rash. I'm suppose to take it every day but it is too expensive and every other day works for me.

Houston,
Rash was on back legs and face. The rash on legs and back are gone but not on my face. Another odd side effect = 20 minutes after taking I was like a narcalepic (sp?) could hardly stay away! They have me taking Plavix at bedtime and that is helping. I have started taking only 1 asprin instead of 2 = which is really helping the stomach acids (that I never had prior to all this!). Not sure if taking 1 asprin is ok but the stomach acid and dizziness is much much better!

Angelmom4,
I stopped the Triclid - it is no longer made by manufacture - only generic available. Back on Plavix. Sounds like either way I am in for a "rash" ;)

How long are you to take the Clarinex ?? On going??
Glad to hear it helped your rash. Just 1x a day?

Worse part is you really cant see mine .. the doctors keep looking at me like I am imagining this rash that is tons of mini tiny bumps right under the skin. The rash on my legs where hives and they went away. And it is not itchy like a poison ivy at all.

I will probably have to take it as long as I am on the Ticlid. I am suppose to take it once a day but because it cost nearly $100.00 and I have no insurance I take it every other day and that is fine for me. I had some visible rash and much you couldn't see but itched like crazy. I couldn't even go anywhere because I was embarrased by all the scratching I was doing.

Dear Wizzle,
I was told the rash was not Plavix because of it being on the back instead of the front. It did finally go away. I don't know how they can be sure it is not Plavix if the rash is not in the front. I had long streaks on my lower back, and a circle looking rash.
Do you bleed easily? I barely bumped my arm, and then I noticed my blouse was full of blood.
As for the aspirin. They made a big issue about taking 2 aspirin with the Plavix. The aspirin works one way and the Plavix another.
I am not sure what narcalepic is. I take it in the morning, but maybe night is better.

Hello, I have had bare metal stents since Dec 30th 2009. Took Plavix 75mg for one month and was told I could go off of it as it wasn't making me feel well. Started the asprin and after 3 days I started to have a bloody nose. (I am a bleeder) anyway stopped everything and one month later my stent closed to 90% . They went in and reopened my stent and I went back on Plavix 75mg for 7 weeks again but in the 7th week had all kinds of problems itching, headache, didn't want to eat lost 17lbs, just laid on the couch couldn't do much of anything. Tried taking half of Plavix 75mg and the same thing feeling really sick. New doctor says stay on them anyway. I can't feel like I have no life on this medicine.

But, the worst side effect was swelling of the throat. Has anyone out there had any of these problems? If so what have you done about it and what else do you take. It seem like I'm allergic to all blood thinners. very scared have been taking 160 mg of baby asprin and really scared. Only been doing this for 3 days now. Don't know what else to do. Anyone else out there that can't take Plavix or any other blood thinners and if so what else are you doing for medicine?

hon its the plavix go into plavix side affects also go into fda blackbox warnings on plavix Im also having problems with acid reflux and diarria my family doctor says its the plavix my heart doctor wont listen since january Ive been in hospital 10 times with heartburn and now diarria still having problems and there still ordering test and its been 4 months of this stuff get off the plavix if you can Im trying

yes I to had swelling of the throat thats why they did a en doscope have had gerd now acid reflux took plvix 75mg aspirin 325mg cut to 81mg took cardivel 12.5mg 2 xaday stopped that took carafate for heart burn allerig to that took nexium cant take that its been constance since January I know what your going threw I to just lay around or run to the bathroom I dont want to eat cause of the diarria why wont doctors listen there is other medicine they say its not as good as plavix

I too get a rash. I thought it was the Simcor I was taking. They recently bumped it up to 2xday and I was getting the rash every night versus every once in a while before then. My rash isn't bumps under the skin. It's just red, itchy, and feels like it is on fire. I go to the Dr. tomorrow and I plan on asking him about it. I have went back to only 1xday, on my own. I was tired of waking up in the middle of the night. I couldn't even just lay there cause it felt like it was burning.

Crystal

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.