Palpitations & Coughing

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this website and thought I would post a question on here. I've recently started feeling palpitations in the center of my chest that sometimes make me cough. I went to my doctor and she had me wear a 24 hour heart monitor. When the results were read, she immediately sent me to a cardiologist. He does see where the results were not normal and did an Echo test which showed I had good structure to my heart. Today I went for a Nuclear Stress Test and everything came out fine.......there are no blockages. The last test he wants me to take is an MRI, but I'm waiting for the hospital to call me to set up an appointment. I have never smoked, my EKG's are fine, I do not have high cholesterol and thyroid and various bloodwork came out fine. I don't drink coffee or really any caffeine to speak of....I'm a HUGE water drinker. I'm happy things are looking good so far, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had symptoms like this. The palpitations and coughing can definately interrupt my day to day life.......and I have admit they do scare me because they happen quite frequently. Does this sound familiar to anyone on here? Thanks so much for your help.

6 replies. Join the discussion

You didn't really post what the holter found. Your heart can be normal structurally, but you may still have an arrhythmia. What you could be describing might be PVCs or PACs, which can be benign in some people. Glad they are doing all of the tests and everything is coming out ok.

That happens to me too and, as Jetchicky stated, is probably caused by some sort of arrhythmia. I'm 49 and I wore a holter monitor a couple years back which showed PAC's, PVT's and supraventricular tachycardia. More recently (after a heart cath and wearing an event recorder) I have been diagnosed with A-Flutter and A-Fib. A lot of those arrhytmia's feel almost the same to me. The PAC's and PVT's which a lot of people have, feel more like a a lot of fluttering in your chest. The SVT's, A-flutter and A-Fib are SOME of the fluttering but mostly a very rapid heart rate. Not sure which one I have when it happens but sometimes they are pretty strong and definitely make you cough. Glad you are getting it checked out.

Not all of us know what PVCs or PACs are especially if we are new to this site. Please be more specific.

thanks,
Arlene

Hi galsue. I sometimes have had palpitations that make me cough. I especially noticed this the last time I got a cold and had a cough with it. When I would get my palpitations during the time I had the cold, the palpitations would almost always make me cough. I too have worn a holter monitor and it did show some PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions), meaning, there was an extra beat right before my normal beat. This is a benign condition for me, but still can be pretty annoying and disruptive if it happens alot. There are some meds to help with the palpitations, which you should ask doctor about. Good luck to you. :) I just went through all these tests as well. Not so much fun!

I want to thank all of you for responding to my discussion. Luckily the Echo and the Nuclear Stress Test all came back clean. My heart structure looks good and there are no blockages. Tomorrow I go for an MRI. After all the testing is done, the cardiologist will discuss with me what I need to do. He says that nothing looks bad so far and that more than likely I will just need medication to get me through. Nothing invasive. I'm looking forward to getting this under control.......the palpitations and coughing are driving me nuts!!!

Sorry Arlene:-) PAC's are Premature Atrial Contractions and PVC's are Premature Ventrical Contractions. Anyone having internet access can look up almost anything in GOOGLE or any research engine by typing in the abbreviation and what it has to do with. For instance, type in "PAC heart" and it will come up lots of sources on the subject. That's the way I have researched a lot of stuff if i don't know what it is.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.