Pacemaker Battery Change

Does anyone know what is involved with a battery change for a pacemaker? My 84 year old Mom is going in to have her battery replaced on February 22nd and she and I are both concerned. Also, is it normal for her to have more fatigue and SOB since her battery is running low?
Mom doesn't have a computer or internet, so I decided to ask for her.
Thank you so much for your help!
Carolyn

5 replies. Join the discussion

Carolyn,

My pacemaker is new, so I have never had the battery replaced yet, but I have been told that the battery is enclosed in the unit so the entire unit is replaced.

The procedure is usually easier and shorter than the original placement because if the leads are still well attatched and functioning they do NOT replace them, just the unit.

Most often it is an overnight stay and then the patient goes home the next day and I have even heard of several instances where it was done outpatient (hard to imagine, eh?)

Best Wishes,

Jeanne

Mine is new too, but a friend had it done last year. The whole unit is replaced. He is 60 years old. Went in at 7AM & came home at 3. He was told that if they were running late in the EP lab he might have to stay overnite. He stayed home from work the next day.
He did say that he was feeling very tired in the weeks before the EP told him it was time for a battery change.
Tell Mom to relax, Playsmart

My sister just had her replaced. She's fine now. It's only been a few weeks. She's 72. Don't let her get nervous.

Thank you all! I will pass the info on to Mom. She lives in Michigan which is about 3000 miles away from me, so I get nervous about things she has to go through alone. Her nearest relatives are my sister and nephew in Indianapolis, but she does have a good friend who will take her to the hospital.
Thank's again!
Carolyn

Do you know if her battery is in the conservation mode? If it is then it will only beat at one set rate no matter what her activity level is. This can lead to strange feeling in her chest, feeling tired, or short of breath.
In order to repalce the battery they must replace the entire pacemaker. (This is because the battery is enclosed in the pacemaker for extra protection). It should be a same day procedure in the hospital and there is little discomfort afterward. Some of that depend on where her pacemaker is. If it is just under her skin on her chest, it should go quickly and heal quickly. Since your mother is feeling tired, I would let her healthcare provider know about her symtoms and see if they will replace the battery sooner. Often the medical community does not realize how this may affect day to day living.
PS I am going in for a pacer change this week since my pacer just went into "low battery mode". Don't worry about the pacemaker note working there should still be enough power to run for a few more weeks, but they do like to change them quickly once they go into low battery.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.