Open Heart Surgery and Removal of the Wires

I am trying to find people who had to have their wires removed. I heard that there are many people on here that had to have their wires removed but I can not seem to find anything or anyone on it.

6 months ago I had open heart surgery at the age of 27. I had a benign tumor growing in my left atrium.

2 of my wires popped out of place causing me to have muscle inflammation. I have never experienced pain like that before.

My question is once the wires are removed do you still feel that terrible pain? Also how do they remove the wires? Do they just make incisions where the wires are and pull them out or do they cut all along the already made scar?

Thanks you very much.

Tammy

11 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Tammy. Here is a recent discussion ... http://www.inspire.com/groups/womenheart/discussion/wire-removal/

I had mine removed. It was a same day surgery, and they did reopen my scar. As for the pain, if the wires are causing it, removing them should resolve the problem. Double check with your surgeon that the bone of your sternum is totally healed before you do anything. For over a year, I was told I had referred pain from wires and it turned out to be fractures! Not trying to scare you, but I've just learned to always question and do everyone's thinking for them to be sure you are getting the care you need.

Hope you're having a good one!
Katherine

Thank you so much Katherine. That is just what I was looking for. It helped me so much.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Tam

Hi Tammy,
I had surgery January 25, 2011 - on June 10, 2011 I had to have 3 wires removed as they were constantly poking me when I would bend over the slightest bit. It felt like I was constantly being poked with a sharp knife.
I have to say I was nervous about having the wires removed, but my surgeon reassured me that compared to my previous heart surgery this is a "piece of cake" & it was. He reopened my originial incision and removed 3 wires and stitched me up again. This was done as an out patient & I was home in my own bed the same day. My sternum was completely healed so there was no problem there.
Good Luck and I hope this reassures you - if you have faith in your surgeon and talk the entire procedure through - I'm sure you will be fine,
Marlene

Thanks Bailey29. I have complete faith in my surgeon. He is one of the top in Canada. People fly internationally to be operated by him. There is just one thing that I do not understand. My wires popped. I feel 2 of them sticking out. However I do not feel like I am being stabbed or poked by them like everyone else is saying. It is when ever I pass the vaccume, or lift a box, I get muscle inflammation they say. My body thinks it is under attack because the wires are popped. This is what my cardiologist told me. It is not consistent. I will have intense pain for a week or two then it just goes away. Ever hear of anything like that before? Maybe there are different cases that the wires make people feel uncomfortable?

Thanks for the support

I'm happy to hear that you have such faith in your surgeon - that is so important. However, back to the wires ~ everyone's body reacts differently, if you are so uncomfortable then by all means have the wires removed. You will feel so much better afterwards - again, just give your body time to heal after the surgery (it's still surgery).
Stay healthy!!
your heart friend

I had no idea they could do that! I have a wire that pokes me when I bend over and sometimes when lying down. I had to stop wearing underwire bras because of it. It's not really painful for me but makes me aware I had surgery. My cardiologist said it was a positional wire and nothing could be done. This is a great site, I'm happy to have found all of you.

I am a new member here Kathaleen and I can not believe all the people here that either have the same problem or they will know exactly what you are talking about. Just a beautiful feeling to know that we are not alone. Great support system here. Do take care and hope to speak to you again.

Tammy

This was interesting as I often wondered about the wires in my own chest after Open Heart Surgery. They cause me no problems. The only indication that I even have one in there is a slight bump near the scar.
It sounds like it is a fairly easy procedure to get them out, but just like in any surgery,make sure the risks outweigh the benefits. Good luck.

Lucky you Ginger45 for not having any problems with your wires. I did not even have that much pain after my surgery compared to what these wires are doing to me.

Take care and speak soon!

HI Tammy , you have gone through Quite A Lot, at a such a young age. I know that I was lucky. The body sometimes does weird things, like grow benign tumors in strange places: that one was really weird. I have to say that you did very well in being persistent in finding out what was going on with you in the first place, and not just trying to ignore the situation, or listening totally to the first doctor. You have to give yourself a lot of credit for this, and also going through Open Heart Surgery which is very scary to undertake. Now, I guess, if this situation is really problematic, which it seems to be, then physical removal might be your only option. These wires won't degrade or disappear on their own, that is for sure. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ginger45,

Feels nice to hear those kind words. I will be calling my surgeon this week to see if we can meet and book something to get these wires removed. I am to young and still want to be physically active to let these wires stop me.

You are all to kind. Its great talking with people who know what I am talking about.

Bless you

Tammy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.