Niacin and Hot flashes

My Doc wants me to start taking this. I heard you get hot flashes, and I am not looking forward to having hot flashes again. I know they say take 81mg asprin half hour before and that helps with the flashes, but I'm not sure.I know its just a vitamin and never had any side effects with my other meds but this doesnt make me happy . I have CAD with 9 stents . Anyone use this daily ?

20 replies. Join the discussion

Good Sunday afternoon dear,
My husband is on Niacin. The hot flashes to him- seem like sunburn inside. BUT--- milk before bed has really helped him. He still takes the asparin, but good ole milk does the trick!
Helps when eating spicy food, AND taking niacin!

Good luck, and God Bless
Nannie

I take Niacin. Yuck. I feel like I'm being dipped in boiling itchy oil. The good news is the symptoms do lessen over time. If you take an aspirin 1/2 hour before you take a niacin & take the niacin with a tbsp of applesauce it's supposed to help. I found this out after I adjusted to the meds so I never actually tried it but my cardio said patients swear by it. When I complained about the side effects, I was told that the benefits far outweigh the side effects in the way this reacts with simvastin & helps the high triglycerides so the risk/reward ratio was in favor of the niacin. Good Luck!!!

I also take Niacin (Niaspan). I take mine 1/2 hour after a baby aspirin and with applesauce (or some other low fat snack). Another thing I have noticed that helps prevent the side effects (which, for me, early on were feeling like I was burning up inside for about 30 minutes, then hours of feeling like my nerve endings were itching -- bad enough it would wake me up from a sound sleep and force me to lie still and unable to function, but now I usually sleep through the minor version of these side effects) is not to eat anything with much fat in it at least 2-3 hours before taking the Niacin. If I take the aspirin, then applesauce, and don't eat anything with much fat at least 2-3 hours before taking the Niacin, I do not have any side effects. It is worth it. I have raised my HDL from 28 to 51. Hope this is helpful.

Dear Sweetbanker,

I take an OTC non-flushing niacin along with the rest of my heart meds. No hot flashes. Many MD's are now regularly prescribing it for their patients in prescription form. It's good for you--keeps the lining of your arteries smooth thereby preventing clots from finding a place to hide out and/or stick. In my opinion, anyone who has CAD should probably be taking it.

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Thanks everyone, I will give you an update on how it goes

Very interesting stuff!! This past week I got on the phone to my mother,sisters, son, friends...to announce that I had my very first HOT FLASH!! Oh my gosh, it was hot hot hot...even my ears were 'on fire'. I mentioned that it was also kinda prickly and itchy. My mother thought that did not sound like a hot flash thing..so, she was a little puzzled...and kinda worried. Well, I had another one the next day... then none, until today at work! Well... a friend came by and I mentioned that I was in the middle of a hot flash experience..my face was beet red. He asked me if I was taking niacin...and I said..as a matter of fact.. I AM!
So...these are NIACIN induced hot flashes! Not the menopause ones that I thought I had. Now that I have learned more about the niacin and the possibility of minimizing the side effects, I am going to continue to take it for the benefits. Had I not spoken to the guy at work today, I would never have made the connection to the niacin!!

the non-flushing niacin works very well. i had to take niacin years ago for a "paralyzed" vocal cord. that was in the pre-non-flushing days. Yep... the flashes were intense...but they dissipated after a while. Niacin is good stuff...and since I've been taking the time released, non-flushing pills, no sweat...literally!

I used to take niacin. I took that aspirin 1/2 hour before the niacin and took the niacin with applesauce. This did subside the hot flashes. If you forget to take the aspirin and the applesauce, you will probably never forget to do it again, cause the hot flashes are nothing like the hot flashes I had with menopause.

Also you may get alot of bruising when you are on this, due to the aspirin and the niacin. If this happens you should not just ignore it but tell your MD.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Chris

I was on Niaspan for a couple of years and could not handle the flashes. My doctor switched me to Simcor and I don't have the flashes at all. Something to look into.

Lisa

I stopped taking it because it didn't work. I never got a headache and never got hot flashes but it never lowered my triglycerides either.

I started taking Niacin about two months ago for high cholesterol, and I am looking forward to my next lippid test to find out if it works. My mother died from uncontrollable cholesterol, and now I have inherited it. The fist week that I took the Niacin, I had pretty bad burn like symptoms, but now, I have no symptoms at all. I am so hoping that my next blood test will be a lot better.

Carolee, have you tried Vytorin? It's for inherited high cholesterol plus what we produce ourselves. I'm sorry about your mom. I have uncontrollable triglycerides. They go as high as 566 and down to 180, but mostly remain in the 200's, with all the triglyceride meds I take.

My endo told me the aspirin was for the headache that sometimes comes with Niacin and for the hot flushing (not flashes of menopause - those are so different), she said it would go away in 3 - 4 days. The menopause hot flashes usually come at night - hot? blanket off, wait a minute, cold? blanket on, and so it goes all night long. The flushes from Niacin are easier to deal with and not as bad as the night sweats and flashes of menopause in my opinion.

Heart attack with 2 stents...July 2009 ....

daily now.....my cholesterol overall is waaay down since heart attack, but my HDL hasn't budged, so he upped the Niaspan....
My overall cholesterol went from (DEC 2008)194 to 99 (November 2009) Meds began in Aug and in the beginning the itching and hot flashes were troublesome but in about a month lessened. I do the aspirin (reg 81 miligram)
I take pravastatin, bisoprolo, and plavix along with over the counter goodies....but most importantly........I watch my diet.

i am considering trying this again as i cannot take statins, zetia or welchol. i did try the niacin but had horrid side effects. i know of others who did not have a problem with niacin - so give it a shot.

i am encouraged. you had bad initial side effects from the niaspan is what i am reading, but after a week - you were fine? i will ty it again, and thanks.

i will research simcor - but exactly what is that? is it not a statin? i would love an explanation.

will try again...never heard of applesauce - but will try it. thanks.

ewww! when i took niaspan i felt like i was dying and wished i WOULD DIE. but since reading all these posts, i am going to try to get my nerve up and try again with the low dose aspirin and applesauce. it would be worth it if i could see my ldl go down. has anyone had their ldl decrease while taking the niacin?

ASURVIVOR:

NO, I HAVEN'T TRIED IT, BUT IT IS WORTH LOOKING INTO. MY CHOLESTEROL WAS 246 THE LAST TIME I HAD A BLOOD TEST, AND IT MADE ME SO MAD BECAUSE I DON'T EAT RED MEAT, AND THE LAST TIME I HAD ANY FRIED FOOD WAS ABOUT TWENTY YEARS AGO. IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM FAIR, DOES IT?
I AM ABOUT 10 LBS OVERWEIGHT, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT IS MY PROBLEM. I AM 61 YRS. OLD.
THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THE ALTERNATE DRUG. I WILL ASK MY DOCTOR ABOUT IT.

Carolee,

When I had my heart attack, etc. I weighed 110 lbs, very NOT overweight. Now I weigh 136 and I'm still not considered overweight, but I have lower triglycerides, high hdl and low ldl as well as high triglycerides.

Vytorin works well. I take a whole aspirin every day (325 mgs), Antara (for triglycerides) and Vytorin 10/40 and a whole lot of other scrips. I'm on these for life.

Ask your doctor if he likes Vytorin.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.