newly dx with Viral Cardiomyopathy

Hello New here
Let me start I was dx with LBBB about 3 years ago there was no blockage at all my blood work was great. Told by cardiologist to loose weight so that I won't have trouble with clogged arteries in future. So my weight loss journey began I have lost over 50lbd and have been working out 5-6 days a week. Then this past July I was dx with fibroids and was bleeding very heavy but I was still trying to exercise on top of coming down with what I thought was a summer cold. So while on the treadmill I became light headed but I didn't think much of it until later that night while trying to sleep I couldn't breath still thinking it was my on coming cold. Then the next morning I became dizzy yet again and short of breath. So I took myself to the ER all the test came back normal but they said my heart looked slightly enlarged on ct scan so they wanted to do a stress test. Well while doing the echo part they said my ef was 30-35% and they didn't complete the test. Was sent back to room and consulted by cardiology the next day sent for MRI that came back no damage just low ef 44% stated with therapy should return to normal. Given very low dose of lisinpril and corag and sent to cardiac rehab. So my question is since there was no heart damage and it was caught so early what's the chances of my ef returning to normal? I'm Seeing a new cardiologist on Wed.and I'm nervous. I wasn't due to see the old Dr until the end of October for another echo.

5 replies. Join the discussion

When you state no meds, does this mean for the Cardiomyopathy? or is this any meds. The reason I ask is when I was put on Coreg years ago I had a horrible time initially, and came to find out it was the interaction of the Coreg with the BP med they had me on. I kept up with the Coreg but stopped the BP med. Often the combos that they have us on won't work for our own bodies.

I'm on a very low dose of Coreg 3.125 and 2.5 of lisinopril and I'm doing fine. My bp wasnt a factor before and now with this it still isn't a factor I run between 103-110/ 68-78. I'm just hoping the meds help raise my ef

I was told that if no damage is done, meds can raise an ef. Unfortunately not my case as virus attacked my LV. Coreg is supposed to be the " miracle" drug according to my cardiologist, if you can tolerate. Good luck to you.. it can happen!

I just wanted to say that I have post partum cardiomyopathy. THey say if there is no damage, you can make a full recovery. My EF was 40, and within 1 month of starting beta blockers, diuretics, and ace inh., my EF was 55. HOWEVER, after I recovered I thought there was no need for all this medication and stopped taking it. I actually relapsed which is uncommon for people with ppcm or viral cardiomyopathy once their ef returns to normal. You should be fine, but take your medicine for at least a year even if you're feeling better (some docs say forever just in case) and if you run, wear a heart monitor! I'm sure you know the ins and outs of that after cardio rehab. Good luck!

Thank you. I was so worried I'm only 35 and this scared me. But I've been doing what they told me to do. I'm getting much better with the sodium thing as well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.