Nerve Pain in right thigh and hip from angioplasty

I have a lot of nerve pain and burning to my right lateral thigh since my first right groin angiogram. The cardiologist said he had NEVER heard of that and I must have a bad back. Well, I do not have a bad back and there was nerve damage done when the groin catheter was done. I have been putting up with the pain for over 3.5 months and when I brought this up to my new PCP he wrote an order for Lidocaine patches. They do not work at all. I need some decent suggestions. Anybody think Tramadol 100 BID or TID might work? I am tired of having this chronic pain on top of chronic fatigue and angina. Need some input.'
GOD BLESS ALL,
VeeCee

11 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, Tramidol should cover your groin pain. I have had several heart caths, at least 5 and I was told I had scar tissue which is what caused the pain, but I am concerned it is chronic and haven't disappeared because mine usually lasts 3-4 days after the heart cath and then it is gone. But I have chronic pain from my Triple Heart Bypass so I am on Tramidol (the kind with the tylenol added also so is that Ultram???? I get them two confused all the time) and Tramidol/Ultram covers the pain fine from heart caths.

I have been trying to wean myself off the Tramidol all summer long and it has recently been decided to stop the weaning and to go back to regularly taking the Tramidol on a schedule again instead of only taking it when I needed it. I was having too much break through severe pain and ending up in the hospital twice in the past two months:-(

I would be questioning maybe you have some nerve pain in your groin more than my scar tissue pain???

Hope you start feeling better soon, but definitely call your Primary Care Physician about it!!!! And then later on when you see your cardiologist either again or for the first time let them know what you had to do to get through/over your pain.

Best wishes,

Cindy

I HAD A TRIPLE BY-PASS OVER 10 YEARS AGO AFTER AN ANGIOPLASTY COULD NOT BE DONE, MY ARTERIES WERE SO BLOCKED. WAS SENT HOME IN 4 DAYS & SUFFERED SOME PAIN IN MY BACK & UPPER LEGS. THEY PUT ME ON A PAIN PILL THAT REALLY WORKED (SORRY, I CAN'T REMEMNBER THE NAME OF IT) DEFINITLEY, CALL YOUR CARDIOLOGIST & INSIST ON SOMETHING TO HELP YOU THROUGH THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS. I'M SURE HE/SHE WILL AFTER YOU TELL HIM ABOUT YOUR PAIN. JUST TRY TO REMEMBER, IN TIME IT WILL GO AWAY.

GOOD LUCK,
ROSE
(Sorry for the caps)

I had a terrible pain in my right thigh as well after my cath that lasted for months. I believe that it was worse bc I was on Crestor. It finally went away after 3 months and I had to get off the Crestor after a week. The residual effects lasted weeks after I got off the Crestor.

Lidoderm patches aren't too useful for nerves that are deeper in your tissue. For skinny people they work better, and for me (plus-sized) they aren't too effective.
I've heard tell of many folks women AND men, who've had nerve pain after groin pokes. It just goes with the territory. No doctor, however powerful they might think themselves, has the Xray vision necessary to visualize nerves under the skin as they insert a needle into the groin, or any other place for that matter. It is a risk of the procedure.
Nerves do have the capacity to grow back, albeit VERY slowly. It may take some time (months?)
Best of luck and healing to you, VeeCee.
LOve,
Melissa

I had that same kind of pain after my last ablation in my left leg. It would take my breath away at times. My Dr. told me that nerve damage can happen during a cath and that he couldn't tell me how long I might have it. He gave me some kind of pain killers that helped a little, but really, it was just time. I want to say it took about 6 months to quit hurting, but that has been 3 years ago, so I could be off on the timing there. Hopefully, with time, yours will get better too.

Hi There,

Suffering with this for the past couple of months too, different reason. My lumbar disc herniated and it's bulged, pressing on the femoral nerve. *I've read* that aside from the spine reason, it can occur from being on your back in a position where your legs were extended but falling outward vs straight. I imagine that could happen during an angio? I am seeing a physiatrist (sort of like an orthopedist that specializes in the muscles)..and in my case, he did a steroid spine injection to reduce swelling locally. It has helped, but it took time. (This was done at a specialized clinic that does this...and I was given IV Fentanyl for the procedure). I also had an MRI to identify the disc issue (first). We only did the injection after I suffered an acute pain episode where I went to the ER for a pain shot to knock me out. Nothing would diminish the nerve pain at that point.

Vicodin takes the edge off, Valium can help relax all the muscles if you are tense and the muscular spasm is making it worse. Femoral nerve can affect from the back - it wraps around the hip, goes though the groin, down the leg and into the knee. I also got a walker to lean on as I walk, as the nerve makes my thigh cramp up and feels like a nail going through my knee. If I use the walker, it prevents that, but as I said, my pain is originating from my back. you can have Femoral nerve injury from an angio...I think you need to explore other medical professionals.

Best, Mary

MaryLG. your description of pain causes best suits what I have been feeling for 3. 1/2 years after two-day angioplasties ....so for two days in a row I Had to lay flat for 8 or 9 hours, not move with legs extended falling out....long time ago had a back injury, torn muscles from a fall while hiking , but after stretching etc still could exercise...since my heart attack and angioplasty pain has been my worst offender...it is debilitating and I have always wondered why it was so much worse after the procedure....nerve damage! I have had all kinds of tests and nothing involving spine or discs ever show up... Pain rarely lets up, thighs are numb and stinging and lately it has included muscle spasms....the only relief is pain killers and stretching periodically all day long. It has been suggested I go on disability again.....it is just awful way to live. Sz

Hello all,
I am so glad that I read this. I have been having moderate to severe pain in my LEFT thigh/hip since my Stent was implanted. It seems to be getting worse. I am scheduled to see my cardiologist tomorrow and will bring this up with him. Thanks so much for this input. I was beginning to think that it was all in my mind! I'll report back after talking with the doctor.

Read up on Femoral Nerve Injury/Pain/Syndrome...whatever. It describes more fully and you can see if there's a similarity. Best to all you people...Femoral and/ Sciatic are tough pain to deal with. Pursue help so you can intervene before chronic/permanent issues develop.

xoxo Mary

I found this and thought of the hand pressure the nurses do on the entry area of the angioplasty so it won't hemmorrage... it lasts for I believe 20 minutes and it was very painful...I also thought of the hematoma that I had at the entry the size of a golf ball that created more pressure, and after a month disappeared on its own.... two days of a catheter going up the femoral nerve creating more opportunity for damage, make the description below very relevant. The numbness and tingling in the front of my thighs has been worse since the procedure and I have had shooting pain periodically from the femoral nerve area. It has spread to my back I am sure because of inability to exercise, deterioration of muscles and overcompensating with bad posture.... mine has not gotten better over time, and is worse today (along with a case of gout) than it has ever been......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors:

The femoral nerve is located in the leg. It supplies the muscles that help straighten the leg. It provides feeling (sensation) to the front of the thigh and part of the lower leg.

A nerve is made up of many fibers, called axons, surrounded by insulation, called the myelin sheath.

Damage to a nerve such as the femoral nerve is called mononeuropathy. Mononeuropathy usually means there is a local cause of the nerve damage, although disorders that involve the entire body (systemic disorders) can also cause isolated nerve damage (such as occurs with mononeuritis multiplex).

The usual causes of femoral nerve dysfunction are direct injury (trauma), prolonged pressure on the nerve, and compression of the nerve by nearby parts of the body or disease-related structures (such as a tumor). Prolonged pressure may lead to a lack of oxygen because there is decreased blood flow (ischemia) in the area. This lack of oxygen can cause further complications.

Entrapment involves pressure on the nerve where it passes through a narrow structure (for example, as it passes through a muscle). The damage includes destruction of the insulation around the nerve (the myelin sheath) or destruction of part of the fibers themselves (the axon). This damage slows or prevents nerve impulses from passing through the nerve.

The femoral nerve can be injured due to breaking bones of the pelvis. It can be injured when a catheter is placed in the artery in the groin (femoral artery), which lies next to the nerve. It can be one of many nerves affected by diseases causing widespread nerve damage (polyneuropathy), such as diabetes. It also can be damaged by pressure from tumors, abscesses, or internal bleeding into the pelvis or abdomen.

One common risk factor is lying on the back with the thighs and legs flexed ("lithotomy" position) during surgery or diagnostic procedures. Branches of the femoral nerve can be compressed by tight or heavy waist belts. In some cases, no cause can be found.

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/000687.htm#ixzz24rjVidHz

I'm glad to hear you are doing better, after my triple by-pass 10 years ago, I have watched my diet, fat intake, nothing deep fried, red meat maybe once a week & many other things that contain the bad fats. All foods now require to tell you on the label. As for Crestor, I could not take it nor ANY of the statins. My doctor tried them all & they all had the same results, severe muscle cramping & stomach pain. I believe they are harmful to your liver & body as well. My remedy, eat baked, roasted, broiled, even pan broiled chicken, veal or lean meat once a week. It will not hurt you, it is all in how you prepare it. Get creative, use lots of spices, Smart Balance instead of butter, tastes great too. Extra virgin olive oil also HELPS keep your heart healthy. You wil feel better just doing these things, your heart will thank you & you will not feel deprived.

Good Luck .....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.