Medic Alert Bracelet

Would it be a wise idea to get a medic alert Bracelet? The hospital told me I have to carry the card that tells about my stent, but would it be helpful if others knew? Or the fact that I take blood thinners? I was just wondering.

20 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Lynne

We had a great discussion about this topic last fall:

http://www.inspire.com/groups/womenheart/discussion/medical-alert-bracelets -anybody-wear-one/

The bottom line: YES you need to wear one. Read the posts above to find out why.

XOXOXO

http://www.myheartsisters.org

My cousin's an EMT and I asked him if in his professional opinion he thought I should get one, and he said yes. Particularly because I'm a younger woman, he said it would save time--the EMTs won't bother with things like thinking I'm in a diabetic coma, for example.

Mine lists my name, then "AMI 3/30/09", and my Septra allergy on the front. AMI stands for "acute myocardial infarction"--medspeak for heart attack.The back has stent info, the fact that I'm on Plavix, my cardiologist's phone, and my husband's phone.

One thing to keep in mind is that your design choices are almost infinite; just because it's functional doesn't mean it has to be fugly. ;)

I ended up buying one from Fiddledee IDs, here:

http://www.fiddledeeids.com/

But a Google search on "medical ID bracelet" will pull up a ton of options.

-Laura

Yes it is a very good idea to have a bracelet. Mine has been a permanent part of my right wrist now for over 6 years :)

Hello Lynnedz 56
, It is the perfect thing to do to protect yourself.
I have the Medic Alert bracelet, I choose them because they are an known organization by firemen, paramedics, ect. They have been doing this for over 50 yrs. For me the $25.00 annual pymt. and the fact of their notoriety makes it a secure deal for me.
1-800625-3780 in the USA I don't know the website.
Just my thoughts. Hope they help.
Bellafia

Hi,

I wear a charm on a necklace and it doesn't show too much. Some of the bracelets are so pretty these days, they almost look like nice jewelry, so why not wear something that shows. I feel very safe with my charm on my necklace, just in case it is ever needed. I highly recommend some kind of ID too!!

Be blessed,
patty

the answer is easy YES i have had mine with medic alert for 10 years now and i have worn for 10 years but i have the peace of mind knowing that if i am not able to tell them what i have what meds i'm allergic to well it can speak for me i carry my card and i have gotten a card for each of my kids and my husband why so they have handy all my meds my condition and my icd info on it this needs to be very important pice of jewerly you will ever wear i pay a yearly fee to be a part of medci alert but so well worth the money i say so yes you should get one they keep all your records up todate and they are one phone call that could save your life

god bless
surviving heart disease one day at a time
with trigger 04 /08
for 10 years now
nanamo

Another point that was mentioned a number of times on
http://www.inspire.com/groups/womenheart/discussion/medical-alert-bracelets -anybody-wear-one/
was that paramedics are not going to go rummaging through your purse or wallet during a crisis to see if you have a little I.D. emergency card there - they are trained to check your wrist/neck for medicalert tags.

Don't leave home without it - EVER!!! :-)
XOXOXO

Good morning Lynnedz 56:)

There seems to be quite a discussion on this topic in earlier postings. I was taken aback during a visit to the ER when I was asked if I had any medical conditions they should know about. I explained that I had no sternum and had just undergone a quad bypass and of course, the muscle flap. The Dr. explained they could kill me if I needed CPR or the hymlick manoeuvre. I am allergic to metal and the lettering had disappeared from my old bracelet. Up shot --- I was just as careful buying a gold bracelet with a sturdy link system as I would if buying a wedding ring. It has been on my wrist since the day the jeweller put it there. It is my life and I am not going to do anything to put put it at further risk.

When I go to public fairs, for example, I always check in with the first aid personnel to make sure they can read what is on my bracelet and understand what it means. It may sound extreme, but a good bump can send a rib through my lung and a deep cough can break a rib.

Whatever reasoning you may use, do it after you get that bracelet.

Be blest --- Gloria ---

In addition to a Medic Alert bracelet, a company called MedIds.com makes available (free) a computer printed wallet sized card that you can fillin with all medical information,medications and dosage as well as emergency contacts. You can change and reprint as often as needed. I carry one with my driver's license, cell phone and billfold. The flexibility makes it a useful addition to a bracelet.

I wear a Medic Alert bracelet of Sterling silver for over 10 yrs. Tells the first responders, a wealth of info. that I have a defibrillator, heart failure and on warfarin. On my back door window I have a decal that states I'm a Medic Alert Member with the national phone number.

Now, if I could just get my teenager to wear one!

I highly recommend you go to Medicalert.com, get yourself a braclet and enroll in their program. Their annual dues are well worth it. I'm a heart patient who also has ICD implant. The only time I take my bracelet off is when I shower. I not only have the braclet but have a Medic Alert decal on my vehicle window, should I have a wreck there's additional alert to emergency personnel to look on my body for a bracelet or necklace. They can call the 800# and get immediate info on me as well as the back of my bracelet which state I've the ICD and other pertinent information. Also, by my bedside phone is information tacked to the wall re: Medic Alert, heart patient, and my cardiologist etc. I spend a lot of time alone so do everything I can to alert someone should something happen and not be able to speak for myself.

Absolutely! I carry my stent cards with me, but everyone I've talked with has told me that wearing a Medic bracelet helps others to identify your health issues in an emergency. Giving yourself every edge will make you feel more confident and less fearful - in my opinion, that's very important.
With light,
JacQuelyne

Gah, speaking of stent cards--I know this is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but since I laminated my stent cards (hey, I want them to last as long as I do), they don't bend and fold. So I actually had to get a bigger wallet, just to fit the *@#$^ stent cards in it. Just one more thing that's different now... but hey, at least I'm still alive to grouse about it, right? ;)

-Laura

Lynnedz56, You do not have to get a bracelet necessarily, I have a medic alert necklace with my info on a medallion, that I wear everyday. They have different size necklaces and it does not require you to open a clasp to get it on and off. If it does not match with what you are wearing you can put it under your top. Dolores

I have been wearing a Medicalert bracelet ever since I got my ICD. I also carry a list of my meds, diagnosis', info on all my doctors (PCP, Cardiologist, Pulmologist), list of all surgeries, basic outline of my medical history that gets fairly extensive from the time of my Quint Bypass to present - recently I have started adding minor illnesses (I have had bronchitis since Dec 08) along with the meds prescribed.

Everyone should carry this info on them.

I saw a great Medic Alert tag at the Mayo Clinic patient store. They have a gigantic collection of tags with every possible condition/warning engraved. The one I liked said:
"Cognitively Impaired"

I was going to get these for all my menopausal girlfriends! Hahahahahah......

XOXOXO

Yes order you one! But don't cook on the grill outside with it because that medal heats up and burns a hole in your arm! LOL!

The ER people are guessing when you come in there are should you have to go! If you take warafrin or have other problems it is a good idea to get one, someone gave me a sight here where I ordered mine it is nice looks nice and everything. Just to have a piece of mind get one! I wear mine everyday! There is also another sight
http://www.medids.com/free-id.php for a card also they have a new computer chip you can care with all your information in it!

I ordered my bracelet yesterday. I think it's a good thing. Especially since I almost passed out in a big company meeting today from the heat in the room.

I am one week post op and will be ordering my ID bracelet yet tonight. My husband has worn one since his aortic dissection and aneurism. Maybe we will get matching ones! lol

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.