Lose weight!!!!

Hi to all my heart sisters.....I was wondering if any of you have heard of Dr. Atkins diet?? Is this diet good for us that have heart conditions??? I need to lose about 20 lb. I would appreciate any feed back from all of you..(((HUGS))), Wendy

42 replies. Join the discussion

Hi! Since my quad by pass on 8/5/12, I started doing my own sort of atkins diet. I simply look at what my choices are for each meal, and choose to NOT eat anything that has wheat or grain or flour ( no breading!) and I do not eat carbs- which includes high sugar fruits, and veggies like carrots and corn and potatoes. I drink water, a tiny amt of skim milk, and fresh brewed tea with splenda or stevia. I Eat eggs everyday for breakfast- fried in coconut oil ( very healthy extra virgin oil). I eat a lot of high protein, and my snacks are a cheese stick or two, sometimes with a slice or two of lean lunch meat, sometimes sliced up red peppers with regular ranch dressing and maybe some cherry tomatoes. I eat ONLY low carb bread found at wally world- and only eat that on rare occasions. I do not eat any other bread or crackers, and no LOW FAT foods since they are loaded with sugar. I watch my sugars too, and since aug 5th, I have lost 40 lbs so far, I'm NOT hungry, have no cravings, and feel great. Read "WHEAT BELLY" By Dr. Davis, "WHY WE GET FAT" By Gary Taubes, and the NEWest Atkins book is awesome too. No need to try following a crazy diet or weighing food, just watch what you eat and choose no grain, low cabs and low sugar- and the weight will fall off, and YOUR BLOOD TESTS will show improvement in cholesterol, and cardiac markers too! IT WORKS! If Diabetic- read "The Diabetic Solution" By Dr. Richard Bernstein. A Great Website is Dr. Joesph Mercola...he has a free newsletter online, look him up! Good luck to you, I still need to lose another 100 lbs!

YAY!!!! Good for you...Well that does sound like a really good diet for me...Thanks sooo much for responding so quickly...Keep me posted on your weight lost...Keep up the good work...(((HUG))), Wendy

THANKS WENDY- TRY IT, AND YES, IT'S VERY APPROPRIATE FOR HEART PATIENTS! HUGS, CYN

hi Dallasbaby,

I would advise to check with your Cardiologist. I know people who are on the Atkins diet plan, but are not heart patients of any kind & are losing lots of weight & look very nice.. I advise you only because of the meds you might be taking that may requre some of the foods Atkins diet may cut out. Always talk to your Doctors before starting a diet to make sure you are getting all the good nutirients your heart health may require. Salmon & Omega -3 & the fish oil are good for your heart health. I am a triple bypass survivior.(CABG) I had a heart attack, was in a coma Oct 23, 2009. My veins from my right leg are in my heart now. I had 3 clogged arteries. I have Atherscelerosis, heart diease. So I do know somewhat about good health. I work out 4-5 times per week take all my meds. You be strongly encouraged & courgeous to lose the weigh, If you already have loss weigh, then good job!! I wish you all the best in your weight loss endeavors and good health.

I'm on Atkins on the recommendation of my integrative doc and my cholesterol readings have actually gone down and are now described by my cardiologist's nurse as awesome. It had been creeping up to a level that made the docs nervous on my very low dose of crestor and the one change I've made has been shift to Atkins.

Always check with your doc but beware of the old built in attitudes about it.

I'm not losing weight at the moment - but I find my energy level is soooo much more stable now that I eat virtually no carbs, it's stunning. And when I do have carbs, I can map the crash in energy so precisely. I also have really minimized my carb cravings ... find that when I indulge, no longer find them very satisfying.

The Atkins folks have a great website with all their info available for free and Gary Taubes has a good occasional email newsletter as well.

I lost weight on Atkins plan.. But be very careful. YOU must give your self some good carbs or your body will get used to NO carbs and when you do eat them you will gain weight in leaps and bounds. Its a great plan, but most people do it completely wrong. " I was one of them" Read the book its really good. I eat carbs in the mornings so i can burn them through out the day. I recommend fruit like melon or blueberries and strawberries to. For veggies I like brocoli and salads. I also find when im hitting the diet hard i tend to have more pvc so look out for that. Good luck! :>

I think the key is to eat sensibly, and by that I mean to avoid carbs that have high sugar content. Yes, by eating low carbs, it means lower sugars, which in turn means lower cholesterol numbers, and if you're diabetic- better blood sugar control, less damage to your entire body. And eating more brocolli and salads never hurt ANYONE! Tuna and peanut butter are great sources of protein, as are eggs. And No, eating eggs is NOT going to raise your cholesterol like they used to tell you. When I was in the hospital for my cabgx4, right after surgery- every single meal they brought me was all sheer carbohydrates! I argued with them and their dietitian that I am diabetic- no wonder why they kept pumping insulin in me- then they wondered why my sugar levels were dropping instead of going up after meals- because I wouldn't eat that junk they brought me! A typical meal was: orange juice, cranberry juice, whole milk, cream of wheat, 2 fake eggs fried in some kind of nasty machine oil grease, and 2 slices of toast with one sausage link. And coffee- every meal HAD to include coffee- which I told them repeatedly I do not drink it, and I kept asking for iced tea unsweetened ! A nurse brought me iced tea one time! now with that meal in front of me, the sausage was the only thing I could eat! I informed my cardiologist about thwe diet the thoracic surgeon put me on ( low cholesterol) and he shook his head and said OMG thats insane I never knew that's what they were giving you! I had 2 dinners that actually had sliced lean meat which I scraped the gravy off of- and that & green beans were all I ate for dinner! Anyone really interested in learning about healthy dietary stuff should read the books I listed in my post above- esp. wheat belly by Dr. Davis! Yes, don't be shocked if your Dr. acts like you're nuts when you talk about low carb, they've been told by the AMA that we're supposed to eat whole grains and all these carbs! Wheat Belly says "Lose the wheat- Lose the weight" and they're not kidding.

Gosh I just want to thank all of you that responded back to me...It was a great help to know that this diet is not harmful to do...I will call my heart Dr. just to make sure with him that it is ok to do this...Thanks again to all of my heart sisters....(((HUGS))), Wendy

I love atkins but wouldn't Dean Ornish's book be better for heart patients?

Not necessarily. There are mixed attitudes on which diet direction to take and while Ornish and Esseltyne are mentioned most often, some of us do way better on Atkins. My doc gave me the choice and my great cholesterol readings is so far suggesting that Atkins works for me. The cardiologist who saved me out in Oakland also suggested hyper low carbs as the way to go. I've come to think that we have to find which approach connects and works for us - it won't be the same for all.

I eat a low-carb diet of around 30 grams of carbohydrates per day. My cholesterol is always good. Last one was 137. I freely eat butter, olive oil, coconut oil and full-fat cheese and dairy products including heavy cream. I'm never hungry between meals. I think the whole low-fat diet stuff is total nonsense.

I did the low fat diet religiously for 2 solid months, and I gained 20 pounds, and my numbers were horrible on my labs...doing the low carb diet and watching my sugars, I have seen the weight melting off, I freely eat the same things as ANTIGONE above, and feel better, look better, am losing weight and my numbers on my labs are dropping rapidly! Read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes, and you'll see the reason behind weight gain. WHEAT BELLY is written by a Milwaukee Cardiologist- and proves that wheat is the real reason we walk around with these big bellies...and talks about how to get rid of those bellies too.

Anyone who can simply choose to eat more natural unprocessed foods that are low in sugar-will be able to lose weight without scales for weighing food, etc. The only grain/bread I eat is the Low Carb bread, and that I reserve for special sandwiches on occasion. I enjoy pizza delivered- I can eat half a large when I'm really hungry- but the trick is to only eat the cheese, the meat, and any veggies you put on top. THROW away the crust! I no longer feel disorientated or woozy from crust, and my sugar levels stay normal! I can't eat one slice of pizza with crust without my blood sugar going from 100 to 350 or more, so no more crust, and no more weight gain!

Not having to carry a scale for weighing food, or books with counters, a diary etc makes "dieting' soo easy when you simply know whats carb and not to eat it. Yes, I eat a spoon of mashed potatoes on occasion, yes I eat an orange sometimes, but I feel so much better eating lean protein and fresh veggies loaded with butter! best place to find a Atkins book and save money? Goodwill! I've found they always have 3-5 Atkins Diet books there for less than $1. Cheap way to look it over and see whats allowed if you're confused. Well, I have blabbed on enough. Sorry.

I have lost weight with my variation of low carb, sugar, and low sodium. I think low sodium is a key, because once you become a food detective you notice how much sodium is in everyday foods. I also think cutting out caffeine has helped my heart and not eating past 7pm. Eating like this has helped me lose lots of lbs. I eat some protein like tuna and beans with my salads and veggies. I also make a mean veggie burger which is lovely on Red Leaf lettuce. I weigh myself daily on a digital scale and that keeps me accountable to myself. I exercise but moderately since I'm not sure with heart failure what I can safely do.

I started this journey at nearly 270 lbs. six years ago, The heart Dr. told me to lose 40 lbs to save my life. It took a life changing crisis a few years later to start me on my weight loss but I'm near the finish line close to one hundred pounds lighter.

Wow good for you writer!!! I also have problems with my heart...If I try to exercise my mvd an cas kicks in so I do try an walk a little..Well Thank you all again for responding....It has really helped me to really think about Dr Atkins diet...Well take care...(((HUGS))), Wendy

Thanks, I have only been on here a few weeks just reading posts and trying to learn more about what I have. I've had to cut down my exercise too. I walk four blocks and then my chest hurts so I stop because I get anxious. My heart dr. says it's fine for me to walk and work out but I've yet to resume them fully. Best wishes with your Atkins. I'm now interested in the Wheat Belly recipes and look forward to trying their wraps. Take Care, Elaine

Way to go Elaine! I agree with you- weighing yourself daily helps you see whats really going on- and keeps you accountable! I can tell from day to day if my weight will be up or down just by what I've eaten the day before! Keep doing what you're doing and that weight will continue to drop off! Mine's coming down- was 299 in the hospital ( Normally 288) and now I'm down to to 259. That's just since Aug 5th! I'm not hungry, I feel good, and I have more energy just by changing what I eat. On facebook there is low carbing among friends- They post recipes and pictures like crazy! One thing that helps too- turn on your radio, put on happy upbeat music and dance around to it through out the day! I like to put on Oldies- how can you not bebop around with them on? LOL

Not trying to be confrontational, but I don't see how Atkins can be good for anybody let alone heart patients. In the beginning, you are eating no fruits, no bread or carbs. You are loading up on a ton of meat...bacon, eggs and limited veggies. It is mostly meat.
How can that be healthy? Wouldn't it be better to go with Weight Watchers or eat a well rounded balanced diet watching portion control and walking or getting some exercise...if possible?

I did Atkins many years ago and I really missed having fruits & a variety of veggies.

Elaine, You might ask your doctor about starting cardiac rehab - it's really super and helps get your body moving safely again.

Huskiefan, I eat tons of veggies on Atkins and after the first two weeks also add in lots of fruits but the right ones. The diet is really quite sensible - and I have the good labs to show for it. On these meds and doing ww or similar, my weight continued to go up significantly which began when I began all these meds so Atkins is a blessing even when it's just helping me maintain.

I haven't had cardiac rehab. My mom went after she had a heart attack, but that was several years ago.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.