LBBB with "normal" heart

Hello: I am 48 yr old female that just discovered I have LBBB when I came out of surgery (outpatient) & was told by the anesthesiologist that his EKG showed this. I am on low dose blood pressure medicine & have PVC's but have never been told I have this condition. He pulled my cardiology records & confirmed my last EKG was normal but now this! This was very upsetting to me because immediately I think I've possibly had a silent heart attack of some sort....then starts the appts & tests & it all comes back with good results - stress test good, echo good, so now what? The nurse says the doctor ofc will call with a follow up... I understand that my electrical system is not right since I've had PVC's since my early 20's. Through the years the Electrophysiologist has had me on heart monitors & have documented PVC's & occasionally short runs of tachy & atrial fib but he never seems to be concerned. It seems to "wax & wane" but never is it bothersome to me - just occassionally I will notice but immediately corrects itself. Is there anybody else with this condition - a "normal" heart but a crazy electrical system? I'm curious what to expect for the future.

44 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there!!! Thats me!! I had the most miserable holidays last year because of my diagnosis. I went in to urgent care because of a bad attack of gerd. "intigestion" Came out with a LBBB. I to suffer from pvc and runs of tachy and Afib. I also went through all tests etc and i am to 47 years old. I have had problems with pvc since early 20's and still have frequent pvc days. I will say this. Do not let this ruin your holidays or your life. I suffered with a bout of depression over this and felt like i was walking the plank. Here i am one year later, no closer to understanding LBBB except that its a minor glitch and now guess what?? It comes and goes. Yep! I went in for a back pain after dancing with my son and Yep!! No LBBB. What???!!! No sign the dr said. Back to the cardio doc.. Where did it go i asked. He said these come and go. I however know when its there because i am a little bit more wacky with the pvc. I am also going through menopause which if you ask me it has something to do with it. I dont know how i got it and you wont either. You may go in next week and it will be gone to. Let it ride and dont worry, Ive done enough for both of us. LOL! Go dancing or for a walk and look at the beautiful changing leaves etc. Let yourself be calm and enjoy life. Your going to be just fine. :)
Deb in calif

Hey Dootles: Thanks for responding! That's interesting that your doc says LBBB comes & goes... I get so much conflicting info on this. When I was going through the testing (echo & stress) the nurse told me once you have LBBB it never goes away & most likely a sign of some sort of heart damage! I will soon go back to the Electro Doc & talk to him more about this. I wonder if we are at any higher risk of stroke due to LBBB? I also am perimenopausal AND had a complete thyroidectomy last June. I wonder if all these changes are causing the new diagnosis?? Another odd thing about this is my parents are in excellent heart health (doc says my dad has a heart of a runner & mom is just on BP med) - brother & sister have no electrical problems? What about your family history? Also do you take any meds/vitamins that might help?

Hi! Cardiologist told me that LBBB sometimes corrects itself with a "detour." This is a nerve pathway, not a vein. Cardio said that with some people, a new nerve pathway forms so the nerve impulse continues as it always has. I was told that even with LBBB, the nerve impulse can get through but a little slower. I was concerned about my LBBB prior to having gall bladder removal surgery and the surgeon said, "Don't worry at all. Millions have LBBB and don't even know they have it." Anyhow....probably best to have an additional discussion with your cardio doc re your questions. I personally have found that some nurses seem to have accurate answers....others have given me very inaccurate information!
I found out after his death that my dad had LBBB most of his adult life.....he died at age 99. Hugs, laurali

Hi Laurali!!!! :) Yes she is correct, millions of folks have LBBB and dont even know it. And i truely believe that menopause has something to do with it. I have had tons of pvc's almost all of my life.. Do i think this is also an issue?? YES!!! I think that pvc does do damage to the heart when its 56,000 per day for weeks at a time. When i get these attacks they last weeks and they exaust me. I think that our hearts have some sort of damage just by nature.
I do take vitamins, here is the list.

Multivitamin for the heart healt
Co enzieme Q10 "pharma grade " Good health food stores carry this"
Vitamin D
Magnesium "slo mag"
apple cider vinegar
Flax seed oil "in a liquid cold state" Tastes kinda nutty :) Just chase it with water.
I also take viaman E but only 3 days per week.
Walk for exercise and get plenty of rest and drink lots of filtered water.
I think once i let go of the chronic worry of having LBBB it got better physically and mentally.
I do plan on seeing a electrophysycist doc after the holidays. You will find lots of woman on here with LBBB and not know what caused it or any reason of having it. I have had weird glitches with my heart all my life. I have also had some problems with fybromialgia. Hopefully i will not have any other mishap with my heart. I do worry because both my parents died very young from heart attacks so it does scare me. But i listen to my body and try my hardest to keep stress down and eat some what healthy. "I wont lie... Im not the best at the diet thing" But hang in there and keep talking if it helps. These ladies here are awesome. If it was not for this site, i would had not made it through that time last year.

Hi
I just turned 49 and during a normal check up
They found out I have LBBB.
Being an active person, jogging 3 times a week,
This was difficult for me to accept. Yesterday
I went through all kind of check up all day long at the clinic here in switzerland.
Seems that there was no H.attack...
I still need to wait for more detailed reply this coming week.
But Dr. Anticipated me that if nothing is found, I can continue
A normal life! Just go for a check up each 6 months :-)!
More to post next days.
Lillina fm switzerland

Yes Lilliana... Please post and let us know. LBBB is so interesting in ones that there is no reason found. :)

Laurali: I sure hope my heart grows a new pathway & LBBB goes away. I tell you, the way the staff acted in the recovery room (after out patient surgery) you would have thought I had the plague! Medical staff can sometimes be very unsensitive....I even heard one nurse say to another, "this condition is never normal in a person except in an 80 year old!" It was very reassuring to me to hear your Dad had LBBB most of his adult life. Thank you.

Dootles: Great info - I am heading to our vitamin store today & will load up. I have not been faithful taking them the last couple years & wish I had...

Lilliana: Please keep me posted on your findings. Seems there are several of us who are being told no HA, normal heart,etc but have LBBB... I will follow up with a post after I see my Electro Doc. Thanks!

Thaks for your replies! (and sorry for my written
English).
It really helps reading and exchanging comments
I felt so alone and still need to understand what
Is going on with me. Till two weeks ago, I did
Not know what the meaning of LBBB would have been.
Will update with my cardiologist comments next week,
The only thing I know for sure, is that I will
Take a second advice, showing the clinical
Results to another Dr. Not getting
A valid reason for having LBBB, leaves me
With too many question marks.
For now, a big Hi fm French part of
Switzerland
:-)

I have a great cardiologist through Kaiser Permanente in calif. He was at the Cleveland Clinic before Kaiser so i have faith in him completely. He claims he has seen LBBB in many people that have been exercising most of there life and also in people that have problems with pvc and pac. He also said that there could be an under lieing heart disease trying to rear its ugly head and thats why so many people need to have testing done to rule it out or to find it and fix it before it finds us. He also said that there are millions of people who walk around that have LBBB or RBBB and have no idea they even have it for lack of seeing a Dr or having an ekg that shows it. In my case it does not appear on every single ekg i have. It did however pop up when i was on the treadmil at a heart rate of 100. So they have graded my LBBB as exercise induced LBBB. I dont know if it makes a difference or not because to me its still there. I dont like it, but cant do anything about it. I see my cardio doc every 6 months and have an ekg at that time to see where its at in terms of progression. My echo showed an ejection fraction of 65 which is great and my treadmil was normal. My stress echo "Lexiscan" was not very readable because i paniced and pics were muffled. :( I do tend to stress out on the tests that are dealing with the heart. I hope everyone has a great day. :)

I was in a car accident in 2001 and in the ambulance on the way to the hospital the EMT found my LBBB. I followed up with a cardiologist and he said I had LBBB but didn't suggest follow up since my heart was fine and I all my blood labs were fine. In 2006 I had shortness of breath, went for stress tests and cardiac cath and the only thing they found was the LBBB. Lungs were fine and again blood labs came out fine. No high cholesterol, no heart disease, ejection fraction 70. In 2011 shortness of breath started went to cardiologist who found the LBBB and idopathic cardiomyopathy. Again all my labs were fine, cholestrol good, glucose good all the test came back fine except for the cardiomyopathy and my ejection fraction was 30. I went to cardiac rehab, was started on Coreg and ejection fraction improved to 45. I am now on a weight loss program with a goal of 30 pounds and hope this will help with improve the cardiomyopathy. The doctors have no idea how I got cardiomyopathy they kept asking me if I drank alcohol or used cocaine and I don't drink and never used illegal drugs so they conclude it came from a virus that attacked the heart. I do think there is some connection between the LBBB and the progression to cardiomyopathy but the doctors won't verify this, probably because there isn't any research or findings to back this up. I am also peri menopausal and think there is some connection because during that time of the month I am more worn out and can feel the effects on my heart with more shortness of breath. But again my doctors won't make the connection. I think they just don't know and can't treat something that doesn't have the research to back it up. I hope more research looking for connections between LBBB and heart disease occurs in the future. I'm willing to participate but don't know how to find research studies. Best of luck to you.

I am a 51 year white female who in 2011 had to go to the ER with a racing heart that woke me the night before and then developed chest pain, shortness of breath and just didn't feel right. EKG showed LBBB, had never showed up before with prior surgery workups.

Was admitted and a complete cardiac workup was done. All came back normal. Sent me home. following week chest pain returned along with pain in jaw and down my left arm. Went to my "New" cardiologist and he admitted me for a angiogram.

Results showed some blockage in large arteries but not enough to do anything. Sent home. Symptoms started again a couple of days later.

I am lucky to have a sister who is a nurse and a brother who does not take well to his little sister having these issues and no diagnosis so he called a friend who is a cardiologist who gave me a referral to a Dr. in AZ where I was living at the time. After numerous visits a nuclear stress test with abnormal findings ordered another angiogram yet again no significant blockage but yet as leaving hospital was having chest pain and tightness in my chest. Completely frustrated went back to Dr. who had his PA see me and she advised there is nothing wrong with your heart and you need to go back to your primary doctor. Now mind you I am on an angina medication, 2 beta blockers and a vasodialator medication along with nitroglycerin tablets. So I freak and start crying and ask for the real Dr.

Ended up going to Cedar Sinai and seeing the head of the Women's Heart Center who after one visit knew what was wrong and performed another angiogram with medication to see how all the arteries reacted. Guess what?? The small arteries were been pinched and causing my heart not to get enough oxygen. It is called Mircovascular heart disease. Now on medication and feeling a lot better but still not 100% and will never be. But at least I know I am not crazy and can keep myself healthy.

Got the cardiologist reply of my nuclear contrast testing (think is translated correctly) and scanner.
Confirmed a total (found out exist partial too) LBBB
But they could not see ant sign of H attack, I missed to tell
That 5 weeks ago I woke up with a chest pain at night. I did not made the relation to sny problems till the word LBBB came inyo my life two weeks ago.
No cadiopathie, my heart is doibg fine beside having a LBBB.
The cardiologist explained to me that when LBBB is found, they need to assure that this was not cause by problems damaging the heart, likd heart attack ir cardiopathie. Once, they do not gind out, they deduct that ur body just developped this, and therefore u can leave normally.
Who is doing regularly sport of u? What did yr Dr. Told u about doing actively sport? Any thing u are not allowed to do wigh LBBB?
Thank you
:-)
Lillina

Sorry the typo, not easy ag midnight typing on a small Iphone :)

I learned that I have LBBB a couple of days before I had quadruple bypass surgery. The ER doctor that night, however, told me that it was in my hospital record from previous visits. I'm shocked that nobody ever told me about it! I have had irregular heart rhythm for decades. My primary care doctor used to tell me that it could worsen at menopause, and I am now post-menopause. I've taken beta blockers off and on for years, because of the heart palpitations.

Be aware of the fact that LBBB makes the EKG and the stress tests unreliable, or it certainly did in my case. I had complete cardiological workups twice, including the ultrasound, and my heart was deemed strong both times.

If you develop OTHER symptoms, even seemingly unrelated ones, seek answers; and think about your heart first. My primary presenting symptom for years has been severe gripping in my throat (not my chest). I have sought help many times, and my heart was always ruled out. When I also developed pain on the left side of my face, the ER doctor suspected heart involvement. He told me, though, that my EKG did not indicate heart problems, and that he could find no evidence in my records of anything other than the LBBB. When they did the angiogram, they found blockages of 100%, 90%, 80%, and 60%.

LBBB is sometimes, not sure how often, the sign of under-lying heart disease. In spite of that, until I developed additional symptoms (in other words, I got worse), doctors repeatedly told me that my heart was fine.

I'm now a little over two months post-surgery, and I feel great--my throat is no longer being seized by a vice grip and my face doesn't hurt.

Thank u Liz for sharing this!
I am myself sure there is a relation with menopause, since I just turned 49.
And historically I remember that pregnant after fainting in the street, at the emercencies they told me...something wrong with your heart.
But all was solved and forgotten.
Today I ask myself if this was not already an allarm of something.
But, as doctor said, I need to continue normal life, full check up again in 3 months.
Just wanted to know about sport, he said I can but I am the best to know how far I can push.
Are generally people exercising with LBBB?
(dr told me that high level sport people can very often developpe RBBB, isn't that interesting?)
Greetings to all from snowing Switzerland
:)

Liz, Can you describe the gripping in your throat? I have had incidences where it felt like my throat was closing up. It wasn't allergies, but the MD said possible vocal cord dysfunction. I never thought this might be realted to the heart.

As much as I want to hear everything is "normal" with my heart, I can see from the posts that the heart doesn't seem to STAY normal afer a diagnosis of LBBB. I still haven't had my following up with Electrophysiologist (they don't seem to be in a hurry) but from the conversation I had with the nurse after the Lexiscan Stress Test & Echocardio, they consider my tests to show a healthy heart... I have good cholesterol & blood pressure...To be proactive, I could lose weight & be more faithful with exercise & diet - it seems the electrical system is more of a mystery & just wait & see what happens which makes me a little uncomfortable.

LakeWylielady,
Looks like I have exactly the same situation.
The cardiologist is also a friend of mine, therefore I trust that if
He says: you can do a normal life
He really means it. I also took a second advise, confirming the first.
Of course it is unconfortable, strange feeling to think about and
...with all the sport and healthy life I have done, never and ever
I would have thought something to my heart could happen.
But let's be positive, Good news in the bad one.
At least now we will be checked as it has to be.
Keep us updated with news and comments
Thank you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.