Imdur headaches

Hi!
I have had one blocked artery, had a stent put in in July 2010. I am on a number of meds for Mitrovalve prolapse, PVC's and tackiacardia. I still have chest pain upon exertion of any kind. So now the doctor put me on Imdur which causes excruiating headaches. Any suggestions on how to deal with the headaches.
I have them at least 12 hours a day.

Thanks!
Marob

29 replies. Join the discussion

Hello Marob,
Yikes - 12-hour headaches! That's essentially your entire day!

Imdur is a vasodilator (that's good) but it also dilates ALL vessels including those to the brain (that's bad). Depending on how high your dosage is, reports of patients who stop taking Imdur due to these headaches can range from 40% in the low 30 mg dose to almost 60% for the max 240 mg dose.

The only possibly good news here is that apparently headaches tend to disappear with continued use.

What does your doctor recommend to deal with these headaches? This must feel unbearable.

XOXOXO

http://www.myheartsisters.org

Please don't give up on Imdur yet. I take 240 mg/day, and initially the headaches were horrid! But I don't get headaches anymore, and I know that the imdur does wonders for my spasms!

Yes, I had debilitating headaches in the beginning when I was still in the hospital and they started me on it, and they were giving me heavy duty drugs to help with the headaches, but they did eventually go away, and I hear that about others too. My dad also went on it, and had the headaches for a few days but they did stop. How long have you been on it? Sometimes I wonder if they would slowly start us on certain meds, and slowly raise the dose, if we wouldn't have quite so many side effects. Just a thought..

It took about 2 weeks for the headache to go away. During that time I took Aleve like candy and now have stomach problems.
Make sure the pain meds you take don't cause other problems.

bre

Thank you everyone for your concern. I truly appreciate your taking the time to respond.
I am only taking 30 mg. of Imdur. I can't even begin to imagine taking 60 or 240 mg. I take the pill at 8:00 at night and by somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00 the headaches begin. I take Alleve at about 11:00 in the hopes that it will dim the headache while I sleep. Then about 3:00 AM I take 3 Advils.I am not sure the advil helps, maybe pychologically it does. By 12:00 noon I can expect relief.

The upside of this is that I now can walk the mall and not have to sit down halfway down the mall. I can also do steps now where I couldn't do that prior to Imdur. I just wish I could find something that really
lessens the intensity. It feels like your head is going to explode. Not fun !!!

Thanks again!
Marob

I HATE the Imdur headaches. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about splitting the 30 mg. pills. According to a blurb on WebMD you should not cut/split Imdur unless the pills are scored and your doctor or pharmacist tells you to. My cardio advised that I try splitting my pill (mine are scored) and taking half before bed and half upon waking. I still had a mild headache for a few days, but it was 1/10th of what it had been when taking a full dose at once and it did taper off after my body adjusted.

Dianna

Thanks, Gracie!
I think I will try that. Hopefully it will lessen the intensity by taking half at one time.

Marob

Hi Marob,
My cardio started me on 90mg imdur three times a day over a week then upped it to 60mg twice a day then 120 mg once a day. The headaches occured for the first couple of days but it was a very thoughtful introduction with the aim of reducing side affects. The imdur has certainly made a huge difference to my pain levels.
I hope you can train your body to get used to it too.
Kind Wishes
I Love Living

Hi Marob,
I have been doing a bit of 'google' searching and found this info about imdur. I hope it is of some help.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/imdur-side-effects.html

http://www.ehow.com/about_5112802_imdur-used.html

I Love Living

My doctor finally had to take me off. I was and still am, even though discontinued, having dramatic side effects. Is anybody taking Toprol XL and Imdur? Do they do the same thing.

I hope the headache gets better.

Please everyone be careful with Aleve and other over the counter meds. They have aspirin as a base, I believe, and if you are taking blood thinners can kill you. Tylenol is the only thing I can tak.e

Thanks IIoveliving!

You sent a lot of information, some of it reassuring and some of it kind of scary, especially when you look at the long list of side effects. But in general it was very informative. Thanks for caring enough to send the information. Hopefully time will dull the headaches. I am going to hang in there to see how long it takes to be headache free. With my luck the doctor will up the dosage once I build up tolerance.
Thanks again!
Marob

Thanks JuiceR for your response. I was taking Imdur and Topral XL back in July after I had a stent put in. After 3 weeks the doctor stopped the Imdur for which I was very grateful. Eventually after I complained about being so tired he switched me from Topral XL to Nadolol. I am no longer as tired but still have chest pain and get winded with stair climbing and inclines. The Imdur seems to be helping but does cause headaches. Now I am back on Imdur.
Glad you mentioned about using Alleve as I had been using them every night followed by 3 to 4 Advil
about 6 to 7 hours later. Who knows what that is doing to my system but the headaches are unbearable so I need to take something.

Thanks for your concern!
Marob

Hi JuiceR!

Thanks for your response. I am glad that you mentioned about taking Aleve. I had been using that up top this point. I also take up to 3 to 4 advil at one time especially on the days that I have to work. Not sure how safe that is but I need to dim the headache to be able to meet the public and concentrate on work.
I have taken Topral and Imdur at the same time, but I complained about always being tired. The doctor switched me to Nadolol and took me off Imdur
Now I am back on the Imdur and back to square one
getting headaches again.

You need to check out drug interactions on this site.
http://www.drugdigest.org/wps/portal/ddigest

IBUPROFEN (in Advil Caplets) may interact with NADOLOL (in Nadolol Tablets)

Ibuprofen can block the blood pressure-lowering effect of nadolol. Clinical studies have shown that a small increase in blood pressure may occur when these two drugs are taken at the same time. It is generally recommended to avoid using ibuprofen and nadolol together, if possible. However, if these drugs must be used at the same time, your doctor may want to closely monitor your blood pressure and adjust the dose of nadolol if needed. Your doctor may also consider switching to a different drug that is less likely to interact with nadolol. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Also, not sure you're on aspirin, but...

ASPIRIN (in Aspirin Enteric Coated Tablets) may interact with IBUPROFEN (in Advil Caplets)

Ibuprofen may interfere with the heart protective effects of low-dose aspirin. Your doctor may consider using a pain relieving agent that does not interfere with these protective effects. If ibuprofen and aspirin are taken together, take ibuprofen at least one hour after taking aspirin. Also, both of these drugs can cause stomach irritation and may potentially damage the lining of the stomach. The risk of experiencing these side effects may be increased when aspirin and ibuprofen are taken at the same time. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered major in severity

It was my pleasure to help. A number of women from this sight have helped me sort out my questions and fears and it has made a huge difference to the way I see things now.
By the way it can be scary reading about all the possible side affects but just keep in mind that the list is put there in part to cover any legal issues because almost anything can cause almost any reaction in a small number of people and drug companies like to cover all their legal bases. I hope I have not caused you to worry too much.
Wishing you all the best
I Love Living

Wow! This is just plain scary. Why don't doctors tell us this. I guess I had better just deal with the headaches without meds in the hopes that it will get better i n time.
Thanks. I have an appointment on Wed. Jan 12. I definitely have some questions for him.

Thanks!

No, Iloveliving, I am taking all this in but the article from Patti is a bit alarming since the doctors have not said anything about interaction with Advil.

By the way thanks Patti! I am going to hold off on taking Advil until I see my doctor on Wed.

I read about headaches with empathy. I had horrible fuzziness in my head - I could walk, talk, cipher, work, drive, do everything I had to, but felt like my whole head was in a cloud; then had the headaches. Here is what we did: (1) change blood pressure meds; (2) went off of imdur (no chest pain so far); (3) changed the time I take meds and spaced them out through the morning / evening. I feel much better and the "fullness" in my head is bearable now.

I was just not aware that Over the Counter meds could have such an impact. My doctor has been very careful to counsel me, particularly with the OTC pain meds. It is because of the blood thinners - many of them have that effect to work.

I also have irritable bowel (due to the meds) as I never had it before my stents, and my doctor put me on a probiotic (OTC) to help control it instead of prescription stuff or pepsid, etc. Probiotics are expensive, however, but do seem to be helping with the IBS. It was getting embarrassing as I work full time.

I also had a reaction to Ambien, but need a sleep aid. Doctor suggested Melatonin (OTC) one night and Ambien the next to break up the cycle of build up in the system.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.