How to get off the adhesive from heart monitors?

Got out of the hopital a few days ago. I have adhesive all over my chest and stomach from all the EKG's and heart monitors. I have tried baths, showers, baby oil, alcohol, etc. NOTHING gets this adhesive off. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks

12 replies. Join the discussion

This may sound crazy but, I use Goo Gone. I'm not sure that's the correct spelling. It is for getting adhesive off of things (like price stickers). It smells bad but it works like magic!

- Wendy

Wendy is right - I had the same problem. I used Goo Gone - it smells like oranges. And it quickly wipes the stuff away.

Chris

I don't know if it's called the same thing in the US, but in the UK, I use Zoff. It comes in a bottle or tiny wipes. Ask at your pharmacy for adhesive plaster remover. They work a treat.

Gill

I also used Goo Gone

I have another unusual suggestion, but something you may have on hand. Spray the area with WD40 and wait a few minutes. The smell is not plesant, but it will take adhesive off of any surface. Just use a paper towel to gently wipe it away after it desolves and then use soap and water to get the residue of the WD40 off. I have used this on myself for this very purpose and it did not irritate my skin at all.

Take care -

Dianna

I recently had that problem and the only thing that I had to do was take a hot shower, put on my lotion, and then get a dry washcloth and rub all the stickies off.

I had the same problem last month. I used olive butter right out of the shower, and gently rubbed it. It worked and the olive butter is amazing for your skin.. so soft.

I think the short answer is "as soon as possible!" I've been in the same situation and it seems the longer it stays the more difficult it is to remove!
Although I'm reluctant to share any weakness in the Canadian Health Care system at the moment, here in Alberta the government would love to get rid of public health care, so they do what they can to try to push it onto the slippery slope, including underfunding and understaffing. When I was in hospital two years ago, I developed a humorous spiel about the experience, including what I called "the Disappeared," which generally referred to any staff person who said they would be right back! My first inkling of this situation, they called the ECG ladies who did their work and then pointed at the stickies and said, "those have to stay on until the doctor reads the report!" Twenty-four hours later I realised I was never going to see them again and I tried to take the stickers off! (the same went for "let me heat that up for you," Twenty-four hours later, "whose tea is that in the microwave?" and so on...)

One thing I did have some success with when I got home was a facial masque with sand in it ?exfoliant? (sounds wrong). The grit helped remove but the skin softening and moisturising ingredients helped soothe. Not perfect but... I thing the most important thing is to work fast, before those puppies develop too much of a fondness for you! ;-)

Wow! These are all great suggestions and I already had most of these here at home! Thanks so much:-)

Next time ask at the hospital or Mds office for Whisk pads or adhesive removal pads. We do have them......or Goo Be Gone as suggested works too!

I have the same problem, have you tried rubbing alchohol ? And if you slather them with lotion that work a little too. So annoying right? MC

Take the stickeys off as soon as possible. Goo Gone is great but finger nail polish remover will work in a pinch. It also works on all the colored residue from tape and bandages.

Good luck
karen

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.