Heart disease and cayenne pepper and niacin?

Anybody know about adding ceyenne pepper (levels out BP) and niacin... affects small vessels... your vessels open up... you literally get red flushed for a few minutes.

Just wondering...... saw niacin affects good levels of cholesterol and lowers bad, but also does the above.

Edited November 15, 2010 at 10:52 am

9 replies. Join the discussion

good ideas. I've seen the "no flush " niacin....... I don't know if it still works as well...........

Have you tried niacin yet? might be good for angina?

I might ask my naturopathic lady.
and let you know.
here's to alternatives hurray!

yep... always a good thing to look for all answers that can contribute and I also may go to my naturopathic soon, especially since time -wise this waiting is driving me nuts.

Let me know.... any clues help towards what may be beneficial. I think we need to weed through all the info we can as individuals to find what helps us live more fully.

Dear Artista,

I do both. Cayenne helps circulation and kills viruses (and also helps to keep you warm in winter). Both are good for MVD along with L-Arginine. However, if you flush from niacin and can't handle it or suffer from any kind of GERD, you ain't going to be able to handle the cayenne. And if you're menopausal--well, let's just say you might need two fans.

BURP!

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Ecks is right on. I flushed terrible after being on niacin 3 weeks. Never again. I took it nightly with aspirin as recommended. I read no-flush doesn't work as well.

Niacin by RX and an aspirin at night helps with lipids and flushing. Have your lipids checked before starting, including cayenne.These work on reducing LDL, increasing HDL. As for MVD and variant angina, it doesn't help it but really helps with a better lipid profile preventing heart disease.It does not help with angina from clear coronaries. Joan.

There is a prescription form of Niacin -- Niaspan is what it's called. Supposedly works very well in lowering total cholesterol and raising the HDL levels, and it does not have the flushing side effect that the over-the-counter niacin has.

I hadn't heard about the cayenne pepper, though -- gonna try that one!!!

Dana

Hmmm. If the nicotonic acid variety of niacin causes flushing is that not it directly and markedly dialating the small blood vessels? It would be interesting to me to see an MRA of the heart in which the niacin were introduced during the evaluation to see if it was having the same effect on the heart as it is on the rest of the body!

There's much on the web about cayenne pepper (capsicum) and it's effect on the heart. I'm all for anything that gets the job done using a good pot of chili!

Yep--chili will do it. Don't forget to throw in a touch of tumeric.

Anything HOT--hot peppers if you can handle them.

Have you ever wondered why Mexicans and South American's don't get sick from jungle rot? Or why they live as long as Methusala?

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

: ) I love chili! Make it all sortsa ways! In fact gonna make a big pot this weekend!!!!! : ) Food is our fuel!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.