Has anyone else had Edema or swelling that went away after stenting?

I had a heart attack on Feb, 14th 2011 ( Yeah I know irony heart day :) ) anyway for probably about 5 years before my right ankle would swell especially when I sat too long or on long car trips, I also had constant facial edema.. I had been to the Doc several times for it with a DX Of fluid retention don't use salt ( I hate salt never salt food!! ) After the stent and being put on meds have never had Edema since everyone comments how good I look.
I was wondering if anyone else noticed a change in fluid retention after stent? I have not been diagnosed with CHF and I would think after 7 years of Edema it would of progressed further. My EF was 55 to 60 on my last nuclear scan.

Edited May 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

4 replies. Join the discussion

Have you changed your eating habits at all since your heart event? There's so much hidden sodium in foods that you ay be ingesting significantly less sodium. Also, I don't know the mechanics but I would assume your heart getting more blood flow to it would help its functioning. I assume your EF was never checked prior to the heart attack?

Weirdly, I had a similar situation, also with no answers from Dr.'s. I had swelling in my left ankle when i would sit too long or stand to long. Not facial or anywhere else. When I first mentioned it to my Primary, he said, "Oh, that's interesting". That was it! Mine also went away after my HA and stenting. When I asked my Cardio last time I was in, he said, " Oh, must be your meds." Well, I am not on any diuretics or anything like that, so who knows. The drugs I am on he should have known don't impact fluid retention. He really just kind of blew me off. I would really like to know what mechanism is at work here though!

There may be many reasons what causes pitting edema? The doctor changed my meds and pitting edema went away for about a year now. Best wishes to you.

wellswmn97

love that your'e holding a kitty in your arms and by your face. my fav thing in life, cats and holding them close.

I have swelling, one doc said kidney............ one said lymph glands ........which legs aren't lymph.

both legs.....

I take AC carbimide occassionally its a diuretic..... helps with allergies when sinus fill up too.

sure wish the swelling would go down....

women say don't give up hope

hope all have a good summer

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.