Getting up every night with palpitation and dizziness

Hi..I am very new to this forum and really need help. For last three weeks I have been getting up between 3 am and 4:30! Feel my heart is pounding ( have checked bp and pulse..they are actually on the lower side), dizziness and dry mouth. I have to get up and read etc for an hour or two and I slowly start feeling better and then I can go back o sleep.
Really worried and quite tired. I even went to emergency a few nights back and was told nothing wrong! I am 40 years old, ave been on mild hypo thyroid medication for over ten years. For last year I have also been diagnosed with pre menopause and minor anxiety. I take mild medication for anxiety.
But this problem of getting up with palpitation and sinking feeling has been there or last few weeks. Does any one have any idea what should I do? Please help

11 replies. Join the discussion

You may need adjustment to your thyroid med, get that checked out first. Palpitations are quite common with thyroid. You might also ask about getting a stress test done, just to check the state of things. Lower BP would account for the dizziness. These are all things that happen with menopause. Hormones are crazy things.

Thank you ..will get thyroid checked out! Had a heart enzyme blood test done a few weeks back . Should I still get a stress test done ?

The enzyme test will only tell you if you have had a heart attack. It is that specific. A stress test can discover if your heart is working properly under stress, often problems can show up there. But it is not the be all and end all either. Lots of us passed stress tests, I passed one after a heart attack, before another heart attack because I had a 95% blockage. But sometimes they can find stuff. You did not say whether or not you have pain. Hearts are kind of weird, I think that time of the morning is one that lots of people have a tough time with, some heart conditions, like printzmetal angina occur during the night. I am thinking more thyroid though than heart. I have thyroid disease (for thirty years) and heart disease (one year). I used to experience a lot of palpitations and I still will if I need a dosage adjustment. If you are premenopausal that could also be impacting your thyroid, lots of hormones changing at that point. Anytime you have heart symptoms you should always get that checked though to rule it out. Look up the symptoms of menopause, you may see some things you recognize. Gosh, being female is just soooooo fun.

Thank you so much..it's really very good advise. Will keep you posted on what doc sata

The previous advice was great for the heart all I would say is another avenue to check is anxiety which can caus night terrors similar to what your experiencing maybe an anxiety med alteration I'm not sure if this is an ssri medication which can effect your bp even if u have been on them years I hope you find some relief soon and get a good nights sleep :)

Hi..I am on anti anxiety pills for last one year . The dosage has been increased few days back. I slept well or a few nights but got up again tonight with a more severe attack -:(.
My doc feels its related to hormonal imbalance as my monthly cycle s almost two months late plus I have thyroid and anxiety issues...
But must say these episodes are unnerving ! The waves of dizziness , the tightening of chest, the dryness in mouth..I really feel I am dying that point of time

The episodes are quite scary and fearing them when u fall asleep makes them worse a anxiety med increase can worsen the symptoms they should settle down it's probably your hormones have increased your anxiety which has increased anxiety related symptoms obviously I'm not a dr so it's great to get investigated by a professional but stress doesn't help not even a little if it preventing your from sleeping maybe your doc may prescribe some very short term sleeping medication like (I can't spell this) zlopaclone once u have a week free of night trror it may help ease your mind :)

I had the same happen to me, and though I'm supposed to watch my fluids to some degree, it turns out that I was dehydrated, per my cardiologist. Dehydration can cause palpitations and it can certainly cause low BP. What's your fluid intake like? You have to be careful though---you can't go dumping a bunch of fluid into your system at one time. Right after I had my son, my OB/GYN told me "drink LOTS of water!". Well, guess what--I did. And I historically am not a water drinker. So not only was my failing heart having a hard time with all the fluid it was trying to rid me off from pregnancy, but then I was pouring a bunch more right back into it. BAD ADVICE FROM THE DOCTOR! Had she listened to me in the first place about what my symptoms were, she'd have ordered an echo, or at LEAST an ekg. Anyhow--ask your doc about the dehydration issue before messing with your meds. It could be something as simple as that.

Last year I had echo, stress test and 24 hour monitoring done ..ECG has been done every few months ..nothing has come out of it. My Gyneacolgist has told me I am pre menaupausal as this year my cycle is irregular !
In the last few weeks..I have slept the full night only twice. Every other nightI have got up with palpitation, dizziness , tightness in chest and dry mouth. The first night this happened, I went to Emergency room at the hospital . ECG, heart enzyme test was all ok.
I feel scared in the night by ...
Lots of test are being done..mostly towards hormonal imbalance . I already have thyroid..that is also being checked if that despite medication has gone out of whack !
But I am really scared! I want to sleep without fear

I saw on another thread someone mentioned palpitations and lack of sleep as a menopause symptom, sometimes the symptoms can be pretty intense. She went on HRT and got some relief. So you should discuss that with your doc. As well, do some reading on printzmetal angina and see if that resonates with you. I mention it because it tends to be a night thing. Beyond that I have no answers, you have had the tests for heart and unless it is some kind of MVD then the answer must lie elsewhere. As to the fear......you need to get a handle on it. Do some deep breathing exercises while you are laying there, the panic is probably making things worse. Connect with pony girl, she may be able to help you more,

Well all hormone related tests came ok! I even managed to sleep though the night for two days and today the attack came back. This time I concentrated on the symptoms
I feel lightheaded..as if I have got up suddenly though I am still lying down
I feel shakiness in my legs and though I am not physically trembling I feel I am
There is palpitation but bp machine shows no increase in BP or pulse rate
Weakness and dryness in mouth..I was really feeling giddy while trying to get a glass of water
The west phase lasted for 45 minutes..after that I am better but still feeling heavy headed and there is some weakness in legs
Am I reading it all wrong ? Does it have nothing to do with Heart, harmones but something else all together ?
I have a stiff back and neck and am going for physio...could it be related
I am really sorry to keep troubling you all but there is no one else to guide

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.