fever after cardiac cath?

I had a cardiac cath yesterday, went home and then began running a fever of 101.4. It went down after a few doses of extra-strength Tylenol.
An hour ago I felt warm and now my temp is 99.8.
Is this normal?
I had a cath 21/2 months ago when i had the stent put in but did not have a fever afterward.
Since its the weekend I am not sure if I should seek medical attention now or wait until Monday

23 replies. Join the discussion

You definitley need to contact your cardio's answering service and let them know what is going on. Odds are that the fever is not related to the cath, but hospitals make more people sick than we realize. Since you were in a hospital setting, there are any number of things that you could have picked up. I have lost track of all the caths I have uad but I have never run a fever afterwards. When I did have questions after hours I called my cardios' service or even the cath lab where I had the procedure done. The nurses are great and dont mind helping out after the procedure with guidance.

Take care-
Dianna

I would call the doctor's office now if you've not already.

Ditto the two previous replies! And don't waste any more time just thinking about it - DO IT!!

Thank you for your counsel.
I will call my cardiologist in the morning..with Tylenol, i am keeping the fever down

Hi,
After my last cath I remember them saying that a fever of 101 is something that needs attention. I don't think you should wait till morning. You should call the dr on call. Or go to the ER.

I have had 2 cardiac caths and no fever. U need to follow up with your doctor. U are always susceptible to viruses and bacteria when u r in the hospital. Hope it is not complicated.

"Keeping the fever down" is not what's important. You could have a serious infection that could progress dangerously in a short time. You are at especially high risk because of the direct access to a large vessel. Hopefully it is a coincidence, but you really should be seen at an emergency room or at the very least discuss this with the cardiologist on call.

Yarnkitty is exactly right. The point is not keeping the fever down; it's if you have an infection, and fever indicates infection. Tylenol may reduce fever, but it does nothing for the underlying cause of a fever.

Call your doctor ASAP or go to the ER.

I will call my Dr asap

moral support and validation and reinforcement ......

Yes, moral support, and sometimes we just need a little push in the right direction even though we already know what it is.

On needing a push in the right direction: One time I was at a conference at MD Anderson in Houston. I got seriously ill from norovirus or some such food borne illness. I was vomiting and had diarrhea and could hardly keep anything down. The conference was over and I needed to drive back to Austin. I thought about going to an ER. I was in the middle of the Texas Medical Center. There were probably 5 within a few blocks. Instead I took imodium to stop the diarrhea and refrained from taking much of anything in by mouth. By the time I got home (3 hour drive) I was shaking and running 104 degree fever. I huddled in bed swaddled in flannel pj's, a wool sweater, and a down comforter, still shivering. After tylenol my fever was still going up. I still had to call my friend (another nurse) to ask if I should go to the ER. When I finally went, they said I was severely dehydrated and my potassium was dangerously low at 2.7. After a few bags of IV fluid, potassium, antinausea and antidiarrhea meds, I went home feeling much better. Just shows even people who KNOW they should go still want that validation sometimes.

Oh Yarnkitty, sounds awful!

One of the hardet things I've found post HA/CHF and stents is knowing what is and what is not serious and needs doc attention. Asking here helps us learn that balance when it all seems a bit overwhelming.

Thank you Ladies, all of you for your support and wise counsel.
So far today, no fever and no tylenol or anything so the Dr said to wait.
If ANY elevation of temperature comes back today, then I need to get checked out at an urgent care or ER.
I am so grateful that all of you are here because others who have gone through similar circumstances are the only ones who can share their experience ..
I usually overreact or underreact and so LoveyRabbit, that is why I asked the question here . Doctors go by the book, other women share their stories of real life.
May God bless you all

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

WHY???? Because we are a SUPPORTIVE group...A group that has COMPASSION for others...to be a SOUNDING BOARD for others..to ENCOURAGE others...to EDUCATE .....and sometimes the most important one, to LISTEN....but as we do one or all of these, means that we are FRIENDS and that we CARE...GOD BLESS US ALL....and for the one who doesn't quite understand when someone ask what should she do when she is worried or scared but needs that extra support of others who UNDERSTAND ...you also have to remember that probably most of us were not taken seriously when we first got these different heart conditions..someone might just be worried that she would not be taken seriously by the doctor...she might just need a little push of ENCOURAGEMENT to call...to let her know we are HERE for each other...MAY GOD BLESS YOU .. Sharon

Laurie - so glad the news today is good and Doc said to wait. Please keep us updated on how it goes - and keep asking questions! We all learn that way! When I had a second cath to check on the first and the stent, I insisted on staying that night in the hospital (my excuse was I live alone plus they also wanted an updated echo which was scheduled for the following day). It felt rather reassuring though I know/knew it was not "necessary" (though that night I had an atrocious young male nurse who decided at some ungodly hour he was going to do a blood draw from my hand instead of arm and I had to throw a temper tantrum to stop him! ha! maybe I should have gone home after all!)

Actually, I have found the information shared on this site..more informative and gives me direction to do my own research..After being told you are over reacting or its in your head I am grateful to this site. Guess you could say my new found friends are my own private google search engine. That one response would have hurt my feelings and disconnected me from feeling comfortable to ask anything...Just saying

Junebug,

I had the same reaction to the one comment but noticed its from someone quite new to the site so perhaps they aren't yet familiar with the ways we support each other.

I'm happy to have a community to share questions and concerns with without being judged. No need to judge or question anyone's questions or experiences.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.